Obscure Film Favorites

Options

Replies

• sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Oh and Chocolat , Amelie and anything Hitchcock. Maybe not obscure but fabulous films just the same.
  • Stopher100481
    Stopher100481 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The Station Agent

The Way

Faith, Fraud, and Minimum Wage

Tyrannosaur

Hooray for The Station Agent! Love that film.

Also, for German films Lives of Others is wonderful. Though it should already be on your list.

Sigh... I guess I need to give Lives of Others another chance. You're not the first to tell me how great it is lol. Maybe I wasn't with it then lol
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    THEM; a 1954 giant ant movie
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    The Peanut Butter Solution

In Bruges

Closely Watched Trains

Can't find anything on The Peanut Butter Solution, added In Bruges and LOVED Closely Watched Trains!
  • shortyblueyes
    Options
    Eraserhead and Anne of the Thousand Days.
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    Some of these are obscure, some once modest hits that seem to be forgotten:

- Meet the Feebles
    - Friends and it's sequel Paul and Michelle
    - Beloved
    - Welcome to the Dollhouse
    - Spirited Away
    - Grave of the Fireflies
    - Brazil
    - Wes Craven's New Nightmare
    - Mysterious Skin
    - The Intouchables
    - The Dead (John Huston's final film)
    - The House of the Devil
    - The Last Broadcast
    - Sorry, Wrong Number
    - Marty
    - Christmas in Connecticut
    - Baby Face
    - City of God
    - Session 9
    - In the Hive
    - Dead End
    - Blackboard Jungle
    - Same Time, Next Year
    - Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont

Looking at some lists though I think a few people don't know what "obscure" means. Bridge Over the River Kwai? Blues Brothers? Apocalypse Now? Citizen Kane? GOONIES? Really??? Some of those are among the most popular, and acclaimed, films of all time.

That's one hell of a list! I've seen quite a few but added just as many to my queue! I guess obscure is a relative term. If you don't watch a lot of film some of those could seem that way.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Queen Margot - it's a French film but one of my all time favorite movies. Sex, drama, murder, intrigue, and all the pageantry of a French royal family.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110963/
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    The Dark Crystal

Oh and The Fall was visually stunning... much of my honeymoon was to go visit places in India where that was filmed. It's beautiful.

Sigh. The Dark Crystal. My favorite childhood film. I just don't consider it obscure since it became a pretty big cult classic.

Kudos to the poster who mentioned The Last Unicorn. Another childhood favorite, though most of the singing from the main cast leaves much to be desired. KILLER soundtrack from America though.

And animation doesn't get much better than Triplets of Belleville.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    The Gods Must Be Crazy (1980). A clever trip following a tribal African man as he navigates "civilization" trying to dispose of an object that brought evil to his people. Filled with slapstick and cultural mis-communications, this is a sweet story and a lot of fun.

gods_must_be_crazy_dvd.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gods_Must_Be_Crazy

^ YES!!! I knew there were some that I was forgetting. Awesome flick!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options

The Dead, a version of the James Joyce short story

So glad to see this on someone else's list. Most people would find this film terribly boring, but I never tire of it. I watch it every Christmas season, after the actual holiday around when the film takes place, on the feast of Epiphany. It's endlessly moving, fascinating, and warm.
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    Not sure how obscure these films are but they are all in my top 20 list:

Jenseits der Stille - Beyond Silence. Sad but very uplifting.

8 Femmes - with a who's who of French actresses. A musical whodunnit. Sounds corny but works amazingly well.

Hardware - little known but very good (imho) post apocalypse film from the 80s.

Lola rennt - Run Lola run. Story of several possible outcomes (with Franka Potente - she of the Bourne films).

Devil's backbone - directed by Guillermo del Toro of Pan's Labyrinth fame. Ghost story set during the Spanish civil war.

Knockin' on Heaven's door - Dutch/German film starring Til Schweiger (Inglorious Basterds). Two strangers both find out on the same day that they have terminal cancer and go on a spending spree after finding a criminal gang's suitcase full of money. One of the few films where I laugh and cry in equal measure.

Love the selection! I've only seen Run Lola Run out of the group but can't find Knockin' on Heaven's door. I've added the others and hopefully can download it.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    Some of these are obscure, some once modest hits that seem to be forgotten:

- Meet the Feebles
    - Friends and it's sequel Paul and Michelle
    - Beloved
    - Welcome to the Dollhouse
    - Spirited Away
    - Grave of the Fireflies
    - Brazil
    - Wes Craven's New Nightmare
    - Mysterious Skin
    - The Intouchables
    - The Dead (John Huston's final film)
    - The House of the Devil
    - The Last Broadcast
    - Sorry, Wrong Number
    - Marty
    - Christmas in Connecticut
    - Baby Face
    - City of God
    - Session 9
    - In the Hive
    - Dead End
    - Blackboard Jungle
    - Same Time, Next Year
    - Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont

Looking at some lists though I think a few people don't know what "obscure" means. Bridge Over the River Kwai? Blues Brothers? Apocalypse Now? Citizen Kane? GOONIES? Really??? Some of those are among the most popular, and acclaimed, films of all time.

That's one hell of a list! I've seen quite a few but added just as many to my queue! I guess obscure is a relative term. If you don't watch a lot of film some of those could seem that way.

Not sure if you're a horror fan, but if Wes Craven's New Nightmare isn't one that you've seen before I'd definitely suggest watching the original Nightmare on Elm Street first before viewing.
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    FRAK I forgot!

Ladri di biciclette (Bicycle Thieves) (1948, Italy) -- it's probably already on your list. If not, it should be.

Repulsion (1965, UK) - I think Roman Polanski's first English language film, if memory serves me correctly (and it usually does) Pay attention to the rabbit.

Siege Of Firebase Gloria (1989) -- R. Lee Ermey. That is all

Correct Bicycle Thieves not only was on my list but was the first one I watched after starting it! LOVED it! Loved Repulsion too! Anything with Catherine Deneuve in it has to be great! Sadly Siege isn't available on Netflix :-/
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    I love Sliding Doors.

And now it's on my list as well :)
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    TLDR

Did anybody say Memento yet? Amazing film but you you do need to watch several times to fully understand it.

Wow, I forgot about Memento. My husband didn't like it, but I thought it was great.
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    The Exterminating Angel

On my list, haven't quite made it there yet though. Hopefully sooner rather than later!
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    Welcome to the Dollhouse is the most disturbingly accurate film about being a suburban child during the 1970s that I've ever seen.

But not actually set in the 70's... Love this movie

Alpha Dog
    Basquiat
    Girls Town
    Run Lola Run
    Harold and Maude
    The Last Supper
    A Life Less Ordinary

Added most, have seen some. Seems like a good mix of stuff!
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    The God Of Cookery (1996, Hong Kong) -- Good luck trying to find it.

Yeah no luck, I'l check downloads when I get home lol
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    Fatherland - Rutger Hauer (1994)
    Red Sun - Charles Bronson & Ursula Andress (1971)

What a shame! Neither are on Netflix, Fatherland looks awesome!
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    The City of Lost Children (Ron Pearlman)

It's on my Netflix queue! I love Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro Delicatessen was amazing!