Obscure Film Favorites

Options
Stopher100481
Stopher100481 Posts: 154 Member
Okay, so I'm on another journey beyond MFP. I'm also going through a book called the 1,001 films to watch before you die.(Although every year they release a revised version that add some and take some off so it's actually up to 1,155 total). So far Ive watched 737 of them, still have a long way to go though lol.

Anyway I like to take breaks every once in awhile and watch other things too.

So I give you all this question: What are your favorite films? (I'm not talking Star Wars, The Godfather, etc.) I wanna know guilty pleasures, cult classics, foreign films, documentaries. Anything that's not on the normal persons radar.

(Every year for the last three years I've watched all the Oscar nominated films before the actual Oscar presentation, so you you could say I'm somewhat of a film geek/buff/nerd, whatever you prefer.)

Replies

• theoncomingstorm6464
    theoncomingstorm6464 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Brazil and Blue Velvet.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    The Bad Seed (1956)

Grey Gardens (the documentary, not the movie with Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange, although that was okay too for what it is)
  • anissa333
    anissa333 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Untamed Heart(huge Christian Slater fan) and The Cure...
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    Brazil and Blue Velvet.

I loved Brazil, but not a huge David Lynch fan so Blue Velvet wasn't exactly my cup of tea lol
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    I added Grey Gardens and The Bad Seed to my Netflix queue :) Any Criterion Collection documentary has to be good!
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    Untamed Heart(huge Christian Slater fan) and The Cure...

Untamed Heart and The Cure added as well! I love getting suggestions like this!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Pan's Labyrinth, Little Nemo adventures in slumberland, Dogma.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Chocolate (Thailand 2008) - Great martial arts film with a unique protagonist (and a homage to Bruce Lee thrown in for fun)

Knights (1993) - Horrible, confusing, run-of-the-mill, sci fi apocalypse piece with some surprisingly good stunt work!

Kenny (2008, Australia) - Mockumentary style comedy follows a portalet maintenance worker.

Primer - (2004) - Most interesting film on time travel ever. Well thought out. Highly recommended.

This is Spinal Tap - Already immortalized on AFI's 100 years 100 laughs, (Watch for cameos from Ed Begley Jr, Fran Drescher, Billy Crystal, Fred Willard, Dana Carvey, Bruno Kirby, etc ) A Mighty Wind and Best In Show are equally hilarious.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009, Sweden) - More cerebral than the 2011 US made one. They both have their merits.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Brazil and Blue Velvet.

I loved Brazil, but not a huge David Lynch fan so Blue Velvet wasn't exactly my cup of tea lol

I hated both.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Dudes by Penelope Spheeris...
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Naked Lunch and Six String Samurai.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    strangebrew_zps62f1a5d1.jpg
  • Verdenal
    Options
    I don't know whether these are considered obscure or not:

English and German language versions of Anna Christie, Greta Garbo's first speaking role.

Choose Me.

Next Stop, Greenwich Village!

Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

The Fly (Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis version)

Dean Spanley

Man with a Movie Camera

À Propos de Nice

Taris

Time Out for Trouble

La Chienne

Les Mistons

Antoine et Colette
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Pirates of the Caribbean. The third one. It's more obscure than the others, right?
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    fitgirlandfoodie Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Generation War: Our Mothers, Our Fathers (Germany) ...not quite sure what to classify it as..like a 3 part series, in German with subtitles. Not sure if it was shown in the US? Very powerful stuff.
  • Verdenal
    Options
    Student Bodies. It's an Allan Smithee film, that should be all I need to say...

It's not so bad it's good. It's so bad it's AMAZING! Totally self-referential parody movie that is damn near impossible to find.. so quotable, but no one but me and my little brother has ever seen it!

I've never actually seen a poster for an Allan Smithee film. :-)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Grave of the Fireflies - an anime piece along the lines of Schindler's List, but much, much deeper and darker. A must see (but you'll only want t see it once).
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    #1 Out of the Past (1947).. if I recall, its in that book but I am just a super fan of 40's and 50's movies and film noir in particular and this is the ultimate film noir

Others would include Touch of Evil (1958) Lady of Shanghai (1947), Decoy (1946), Bridge over the River Kwai (1957)

that's just off top of my head
    collecting DVD's was my pre mfp vice
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Grave of the Fireflies - an anime piece along the lines of Schindler's List, but much, much deeper and darker. A must see (but you'll only want t see it once).

This!!!! It's seriously the saddest movie I've ever watched. There's no way I'll even attempt to watch it again.

As far as foreign movies I love Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai and Dreams

Ingmar Bergman's Seventh Seal.

And most recently The Intouchables.