Obscure Film Favorites

Options

Replies

• anissa333
    anissa333 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Oh and Lord's of Dogtown with Heath Ledger about the skateboard movement in California in the 70's. I literally grew up in it.
  • patfriendly
    patfriendly Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    The Girl with Dragon Tattoo swedish version

the_girl_with_the_dragon_tattoo_cover.jpg
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I love Paper Moon, with Ryan and Tatum O'Neill.

She really should have won the Best Actress Oscar, but they only gave her Best Supporting.
  • Stopher100481
    Stopher100481 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Pan's Labyrinth, Little Nemo adventures in slumberland, Dogma.

Pan's Labyrinth was my first foreign film, It's got a special place for me! Dogma is in my top ten of all time. So I had to add Little Nemo, anyone with that good of taste, I have to take their opinion.
  • rlxsn
    rlxsn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only person who has seen this one! hahaha! "*click*.. did you just hang up? No, I just said click" hahaha
    Student Bodies. It's an Allan Smithee film, that should be all I need to say...

It's not so bad it's good. It's so bad it's AMAZING! Totally self-referential parody movie that is damn near impossible to find.. so quotable, but no one but me and my little brother has ever seen it!
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    Cutter's Way and Welcome to the Doll House.

Added them both, sounds interesting to say the least.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Maria Full of Grace (2004) - a foreign film about a pregnant Colombian girl who becomes a mule for the drug cartel.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    #1 Out of the Past (1947).. if I recall, its in that book but I am just a super fan of 40's and 50's movies and film noir in particular and this is the ultimate film noir

Others would include Touch of Evil (1958) Lady of Shanghai (1947), Decoy (1946), Bridge over the River Kwai (1957)

that's just off top of my head
    collecting DVD's was my pre mfp vice

I was going to list Out of the Past, but wasn't sure it was obscure enough. I love that film. D.O.A. is a great film noir. So are The Big Heat and Kiss Me Deadly.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    American Me, Blood In Blood Out, American History X, City of God, El Mariachi
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    Chocolate (Thailand 2008) - Great martial arts film with a unique protagonist (and a homage to Bruce Lee thrown in for fun)

Knights (1993) - Horrible, confusing, run-of-the-mill, sci fi apocalypse piece with some surprisingly good stunt work!

Kenny (2008, Australia) - Mockumentary style comedy follows a portalet maintenance worker.

Primer - (2004) - Most interesting film on time travel ever. Well thought out. Highly recommended.

This is Spinal Tap - Already immortalized on AFI's 100 years 100 laughs, (Watch for cameos from Ed Begley Jr, Fran Drescher, Billy Crystal, Fred Willard, Dana Carvey, Bruno Kirby, etc ) A Mighty Wind and Best In Show are equally hilarious.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009, Sweden) - More cerebral than the 2011 US made one. They both have their merits.

Whoa! Thanks for the suggestions. Love This is Spinal Tap and I've got to watch The US version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for my 1,001 journey, but I'm going to watch the Swedish trilogy first. I think it's only fair! I also added the others to my Netflix queue. Seems like you know your stuff!
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the Dollhouse is the most disturbingly accurate film about being a suburban child during the 1970s that I've ever seen.
  • Stopher100481
    Options
    Naked Lunch and Six String Samurai.

Added them both! Thanks
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Woop Woop...hands down!!!!!!

B00004ZETG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
  • TheDoctorDonna10
    Options
    Oh there are so many to choose from! I guess 1 of my favorites that nobody ever knows when I mention it would have be the Cube, it's actually a trilogy though.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    "Nowhere" It's so weird I love it.
    But I nearly hate it.

It was a Greg Araki film with a lot of 90's pop culture people in it.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    A lot of you may think this is a strange one to list but "The Searchers" with John Wayne is a great and highly under rated movie. It's his best serious performance ever and the supporting actors are great. The unspoken backstory that's throughout the movie really makes it. YMMV
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    THEM! is amazing - early scifi thriller that i still love to watch.

Get Real - coming-of-age gay flick that has some really deep undertones

Broken Hearts Club - gay romcom that was the first of its kind.

Mars Attacks - spoof on all of the early scifi movies with pretty much every name in Hollywood showing up in it
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    "The Fall" (2006) is my favorite film of all time. It was produced by Spike Jones and David Fincher but was directed by Tarsem Singh (The Cell, Immortals). This movie changed my life and I have yet to find any other film like it.