Who eats just egg whites and why do you do that?

Options

Replies

• Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Not me! My eggs come from my free range chickens and I savor every bite of it!

Perfect :-)
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Depends on my mood but I'd say 95% of the time I eat the whole egg, not just the whites.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do it if calories are really tight. :blushing:
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Icky bad don't do it.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I just don't like the taste of egg yolks. (shrug)
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I like egg yolks except when it's hard boiled eggs. Don't know why that is....

ETA
    Maybe it's because I like really runny yolks?
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I use cage free, antibiotic free, brown eggs--those suckers are amazing and I'd never remove the yolk (unless a recipe called for it). However, my BF finds the yolks to be gross unless they're well scrambled. We have a carton of egg whites in our fridge, but I cringe every time I see it. ;)
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I prefer my egg yolks and make sure my morning egg is whole, but at night, for my evening snack its an egg white omelet with tons of veggies, topped with sriracha. Cholesterol was a real problem for me in at the time I was diagnosed with Diabetes in October 2013, but since, I have gone off my Lipitor and for that I say "Yay Egg Whites" (although cutting out most red meat from my diet has something to do with that too).

To each there own, and for me, egg whites are here to stay!

CK
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I don't usually go full egg white but if I'm going to make an omelette or scrambled eggs I usually go 8 whites and 2 whole. The ratio of whole to whites is purely based on macro nutrient needs. If I find I have lots of fat left to eat I'll add more wholes, if I need pure protein and have already hit my fat goals, then I'll do all white with some FF cheese. I find 2 wholes is usually enough for the taste and color.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Eating only the whites of eggs makes the baby Jesus cry.

Bwhaaaaaaaaa

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, though. I have bodybuilder friends, and for their highly specialized diets during cuts, they consume copious amounts of egg whites. I do hope they at least buy the egg whites by the jug instead of throwing those yolks away, so that at least the little baby orphan yolks got put to good use to make my jar of mayo:tongue: .
  • jld0411
    jld0411 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do it if calories are really tight. :blushing:

Hey don't be embarrassed! I'm an egg white girl, all the way. There's a lot of egg white only haters on here, but at the end of the day it's personal preference. There's nothing inherently unhealthy about either. I have both in my fridge: cartons of egg whites and cartons of whole eggs. Whole eggs for baking when I need a binding agent and the whites alone won't do it, and egg whites for scrambling and in other recipes. Sometimes I use just the yolk, specifically for my homemade olive oil mayonnaise, but I'll save the whites in the carton for other stuff. I'm not anti-whole-egg, but I'm with you - when calories are tight, egg whites are the biggest protein bang for the calorie buck.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I am going for that day. Generally I just eat the whole thing....unless it is hard boiled as I don't like hard boiled yokes.

But if I am having breakfast at a restaurant and I want the steak and cheese omlete then I will generally request for an egg white version as it does cut the calories down by quite a bit.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    In for yoke and whole eggs!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I have an omelette almost every night with one egg and 4 egg whites. I get a lot of protein and volume for a smaller amount of calories. Then I can add more cheese!

Basically this...although I do it less often.

Mostly, I choose egg white instead of the full egg when I go to Subway (maybe 1X per month)...tastes exactly the same anyway so might as well save a few calories.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I do, simply because I do not like the taste of egg yolks on their own. I will eat the yolks if they're scrambled into the whites, but if they're separate (like when they're hardboiled) I just can't eat them.
  • debbiesats
    debbiesats Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If I'm making meringue :tongue: and use the yolks for custard, or add them to whole eggs for super rich omeletter or scramble mmmmmmm
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    2. if its hard-boiled eggs - I HATE the yolk its all chalky and weird tasting so I only eat the eggwhite

YES!! Thank you! Nobody else seems to understand when I tell them why I don't like hardboiled egg yolks!
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I use egg whites from a carton...to bulk up my scrambled whole eggs for more volume and protein without the calorie hit...but that's it...the nutrition is in the yolk.

^^This
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    They taste of nowt ........ the yummy, good for you, tasty bit is the yoke.
    I agree with you!

I love the whole egg... and yes, to me the yolk is the best part! :tongue: Eggs were made to be villains at one time and now the truth about how healthy the whole egg is becoming known to more folks. Some do seem to still be afraid of yolks, I had a friend on here that I ask what she did with the yolks, she told me she cracked her eggs over the trash can and eat the whites!:huh: :noway:

I crave eggs and it's the yolks I find the most protein and even the fat in them is not a bad fat. Eggs are the whole pkg. regarding nutrition.

A number of ppl on here have shared they eat only the whites because of the fat in the yolk, when ask if they truly like only the whites they shared they hated the taste of them but ate them anyhow because they thought it was healthier.

Perhaps it's like butter and other foods that we now know are not as unhealthy as we once thought?

I too am interested in learning more about ppl that prefer or simply eat the whites and toss the yolks... so I do appreciate your thread. Maybe I Have more to learn than I thought about eggs.:laugh:

eta- ohh I've already learned to much about why some prefer only the whites... and yes I can see how if you're short on cals scrambled eggs with more whites than yolks could work.

:happy:
  • zinc6
    zinc6 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Desert ... egg whites are used for merangue, macroons, mouses and gelato. Yolks can be used for ice cream, custard or butter (ie lemon butter) or I feed them to my cats. Egg yolks are a good source of iron.

When I eat eggs I eat a whole egg or use whole eggs to make omlettes.