Who eats just egg whites and why do you do that?

Options

Replies

• kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    My brother used to pretend his runny egg yolk was snot, now I can't really eat them without gagging. I don't mind yolks in hard boiled eggs, or using them in baking, though.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I put them in my morning veggie smoothie to get more protein.
    Stef.
  • lisavgagne
    lisavgagne Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am really rather odd about eggs, my ideal choices are:

I will eat the whole egg if it's:
    Scrambled
    Omlette
    Quiche
    Deviled

I will eat just the white (although just a smidge of yolk is fine) if it's:
    Fried
    Poached
    Boiled

It's just personal preference. I really don't care for the yolk when the yolk is very seperate from the white such as in a fried egg. A smidge of yolk is fine but there HAS to be salt and pepper involved.

But oddly enough even though I prefer my whites only in the case of fried and poached, I DON'T like whites only in the case of a scramble. There I need the mix of yolk and white.

I also need to add, I am not THAT picky, I can eat an egg any way if I am at a restaurant or at someones house. My egg "rules" are really just when I am alone and can do it however I want.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Also: If your hard boiled egg yolks are chalky you are doing it wrong, they should be cooked, but soft (not runny). Boil for 7 or 8 mins (depending on the size of egg) and plunge straight into cold water (change the water after a minute or two if you are doing a lot of eggs as they heat the water up)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I could never throw good food away like that! There's never a time when I have to eat low fat enough to get rid of the best part of the egg.

and
    I seriously cannot be arsed separating the yolk from the white.
    And wtf would I do with all the yolks? I'm too tight to chuck them...

Just to say it again, you can buy cartons of egg whites at the grocery store. I get mine in bulk at CostCo. If you do this the yolks aren't wasted: the processor can sell them to be used for other purposes like making mayo or for baking.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Eggs are very divisive... In before the lock
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My stomach just can't handle the yolk. I can have a little bit when I'm trying to get egg whites only in a bowl, but that's just how my stomach rolls, which is funny because if I eat them hardboiled, I have no issue.

But when I do make scrambled eggs, or order egg whites omelette, I always pile veggies in it - so there's no biggie for me.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I have an omelette almost every night with one egg and 4 egg whites. I get a lot of protein and volume for a smaller amount of calories. Then I can add more cheese!

You. I like. I'm all about the cheese.

Also, I had no idea you could buy just egg whites. Huh.
  • mikedenali
    mikedenali Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I only use 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites for scrambles and omelettes......No yolk it's true!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    When I have eggs usually have 3 whole eggs with an additional 3 eggs with the yolks removed. Fits my macros better.

I raise my own chickens and have no shortage of eggs.
    P10400012600x450_zps799fe6aa.jpg
  • ClinicalTrial
    ClinicalTrial Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I HATE the taste of egg yoke.

It stems from being forced to eat easy over eggs as a child. "You will sit here until your eggs are gone." Runny cold nastiness. Thinking about it makes me gag.

If eggs are in something cooked and the taste is not singled out then whole eggs are fine. Even omelets with lots of veggies and such some yolk can sneak in if the taste does not take over.

Boiled or fried eggs require that the yolk comes out.Yuck yuck yuck!

Agreed x100. Yolk is bile. Repugnant - can't decide whether the taste or smell is the worst.

Egg whites any day over it to hit protein macros for lower calories.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Because yolks make godawful meringues.

I'm then obliged to make custard with the yolks :wink:
  • KayJaMikel
    KayJaMikel Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    OMG, there is nothing as yummy as whole eggs over easy with runny yolk to dip your English muffins in. Can't do that with just egg whites. Haven't tried just egg white scrambled yet, but might. I love my eggs, but mostly my over easy eggs.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I use egg whites all the time.. omelettes mix loads of vegetables and crumbled bacon . very good., also use it with baking in place of eggs low cals

Yes, I eat egg white too whenever I can. Low cal, high in protein and quite filling.
  • sharonKay65
    sharonKay65 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I use egg whites from a carton...to bulk up my scrambled whole eggs for more volume and protein without the calorie hit...but that's it...the nutrition is in the yolk.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I do egg whites because they are lower in calorie. That's it, I dont care about protein or any other reason someone would have for not eating the yolk. When I need to scrimp on calories, I just eat the white.
  • sharonKay65
    sharonKay65 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My thoughts exactly!
  • KayJaMikel
    KayJaMikel Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    And then there is hard boiled for egg salad, must have yokes in that, IMO.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole eggy goodness .. don't be a calorie muppet for eggs.. life's too short.
  • memickee
    memickee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yolk = gross. I enjoy the taste of the whites only.