SWEETS - The war is on!!

Options
2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You must be very small to have a maintenance of 1600? I'm sad for you!
  • LeeAnne210
    LeeAnne210 Posts: 40
    Options
    To be completely honest, what I'm attempting to do, rather than cut out those things for good, is change my taste. So I stop craving them, and so that when I do eat them, I get sweet enough to stop at a little bit.
  • LeeAnne210
    Options
    You must be very small to have a maintenance of 1600? I'm sad for you!

I am yes. I'm kind of dwarf sized at 5'1. Lol. And I can't do much intense exercise so I don't burn much either. Its all good though. :) with exercise its 1800.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    That sounds awful, but good luck.

But why not just have some self control, and work a daily treat into your calorie allowance?

ETA: dumb grammar mistake.
  • LeeAnne210
    Options

But why not just have some self control, and work a daily treat into your calorie allowance?

I will, with my new treats. But unfortunately with the old ones it doesn't stay at just one treat. I can't even buy them for the week, because I eat it all NOW instead of through the week.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I tried to do that, but it didn't work for me. I wouldn't let anyone put chocolate in my candy dish, because I couldn't just eat one piece and be done with it. I started allowing myself a treat every day. I log it before I even eat it, usually ice cream for breakfast. It just hit me recently that I have actually been able to control myself around chocolate (and Cheez Its, holy crap those Cheez Its!). This post helped me immensely, you just have to stay focused on your goals and meeting your numbers. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity
  • Wolves06
    Wolves06 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I feel you, I have exactly the same. Even though I eat enough and am not hungry, once I eat one little piece of my "triggerfood" I have to eat it all and more.
    For me moderation and self control don't work, cause I have none at that moment. I also cut them out completly. Maybe further down the line I can just have one piece and be happy with that, but not at this moment, so cutting it out works the best.
    It also saves me from feeling guilty from eating that much etc.

Do what works best for you ^^
  • LeeAnne210
    Options

Unfortunately I know it won't stay at just one treat. I will try and do that with my new treats though. I actually used to always eat those things, and never chocolate, because I didn't like it. Now somehow I've developed a taste for decadent things. I'm convinced if I can do this I'll be able to change my taste back.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I like your use of the word decadent. One of the definitions is "self-indulgent behavior." I'm not sure how that ties in to this thread, but it seems appropriate.
  • LeeAnne210
    Options
    I like your use of the word decadent. One of the definitions is "self-indulgent behavior." I'm not sure how that ties in to this thread, but it seems appropriate.

Yes decadent. Such a high end word for me to use. Anything rich, high-calorie, very sickly sweet. Obviously chocolate is much much more sweet and fatty than jello :wink:
  • alioopwontonsoup
    alioopwontonsoup Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Good luck. If you start slipping and get really desperate, make a list of your favorite sweets, then google them online with keywords like customer complaints, bugs, and gross. If you're really lucky, there will be pictures.

must.... try.................
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options

Unfortunately I know it won't stay at just one treat. I will try and do that with my new treats though. I actually used to always eat those things, and never chocolate, because I didn't like it. Now somehow I've developed a taste for decadent things. I'm convinced if I can do this I'll be able to change my taste back.

Have you looked into getting professional help for the total loss of self control around sweets? I understand that everything just goes blank during a binge and you swallow everything in sight - practically everyone has gone through this once in their life. I have suffered with this for a very long time, too. But I have to have self control or I will never accomplish my goals. And fighting that urge to eat everything sweet is the hardest thing in the world. But honestly, I believe you're setting yourself up for failure by cutting out everything sweet that you enjoy. You will most likely go two or three weeks without anything sweet, and then all hell will break loose. Just think about that before making such an impractical decision.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

I'm all for self-indulgent behavior myself, but there are so many more enjoyable things than junk food to indulge in, and a lot of them are much easier to do when you're at a healthy weight. Plus, not being very overweight = maybe longer life = more time for self-indulging, right?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Have you looked into getting professional help for the total loss of self control around sweets? I understand that everything just goes blank during a binge and you swallow everything in sight - practically everyone has gone through this once in their life. I have suffered with this for a very long time, too. But I have to have self control or I will never accomplish my goals. And fighting that urge to eat everything sweet is the hardest thing in the world. But honestly, I believe you're setting yourself up for failure by cutting out everything sweet that you enjoy. You will most likely go two or three weeks without anything sweet, and then all hell will break loose. Just think about that before making such an impractical decision.

I can't say that won't happen to the OP, but it's certainly not a foregone conclusion. I was never a binge eater, but there was a time when I ate WAY too many sweets and had a hard time resisting them. I gave them up. Cold turkey, for several weeks. It was hard at first, but after a week or two it started getting easier.

Then, one day I realized I no longer craved them. Even when I was at a birthday party or other event where sweets were served. And when I did indulge, it was usually so overly sweet that I didn't one more. Often I didn't even finish one piece. That was about 15 yrs ago and I still have no desire to overeat on sweets. A little is plenty now.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I can't say that won't happen to the OP, but it's certainly not a foregone conclusion. I was never a binge eater, but there was a time when I ate WAY too many sweets and had a hard time resisting them. I gave them up. Cold turkey, for several weeks. It was hard at first, but after a week or two it started getting easier.

Then, one day I realized I no longer craved them. Even when I was at a birthday party or other event where sweets were served. And when I did indulge, it was usually so overly sweet that I didn't one more. Often I didn't even finish one piece. That was about 15 yrs ago and I still have no desire to overeat on sweets. A little is plenty now.
    This. I could have written this. Previously, sweets were part of the reason my weight was going up. Now I never want to overindulge in them. I quit cold turnkey for a few weeks too.
    During that two weeks, I began eating some new foods, started thinking about foods differently....That was...12 or 13 years ago. And I don't find that I crave sweets. Ever.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Do the sweets trigger binges because you are prone to bingeing, or is it (as is more commonly the case) because your body is hungry because you have set your calorie goal too low?

If it is the latter, if you start fuelling your body more adequately then most people can enjoy small portions of all the foods they enjoy without bingeing.

I doubt hunger is more commonly the cause of bingeing on overly sweet foods. If low calories are the most common cause of bingeing, why would so many people who not trying to lose weight binge?

If you read through the forums there are many, many people who have trouble eating only a little of sugary foods, regardless of their other food intake. It is a common problem, but I doubt you are correct about the common cause.

Well I'm no expert, but perhaps some people who even eat at maintenance eat too much "junk" and aren't getting good nutrition or are lacking some micro/macro nutrients, that causes them to binge. I'm not sure of this though, this is what I read somewhere on one of these forums. I however do try to meet all my micro/macro nutrients, and also take supplements. So I guess I'm just mentally disordered or something Lol. :laugh:

One of the main reasons in my opinion that people binge while trying to "diet" is giving up all of their favorite foods & not working on moderation. I think it's smart for you to give up a few of your trigger foods until you learn moderation. At least you're not one of the people who say they're giving up all sugar.