Running tips?

Options
Hey everyone! I have finally achieved and 8 minute mile! This is huge for me as I'm used to doing a 11-12 minute one. I'm wondering some good ways to improve time and distance right now I can run about 0.3 miles before I have to walk. Should I set a time or distance goal? And finally I need some good stretches to do!

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Run more and more and more and more. Speed comes after distance, so just get out there and run...SLOWLY, again...because speed comes after distance.

I highly recommend The Whartons Stretch Book if you are looking for a good selection of stretches. You can get it off amazon for 1$ or something like that!
  • ryanna01
    ryanna01 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'll have to check that out! Thanks
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    How can you run an 8 minute mile if you can only run 0.3mi before you have to walk?
  • ryanna01
    Options
    How can you run an 8 minute mile if you can only run 0.3mi before you have to walk?

I never said how long it takes me to run the 0.3 mi or how long i walk. I can run 0.2 miles in about a 1:15.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I never said how long it takes me to run the 0.3 mi or how long i walk. I can run 0.2 miles in about a 1:15.

Are you extrapolating the numbers, or have you run an 8min/mi nonstop? Seriously, I would like to give advice but your post is confusing me.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

huh?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Are you extrapolating the numbers, or have you run an 8min/mi nonstop? Seriously, I would like to give advice but your post is confusing me.

^This. None of what you are saying, OP, makes sense.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Did you run an 8 minute mile or not?
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options

• CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I think you'll end up being happier with your progress if you forget how fast you are running and just run a little longer each time you run. One of my favorite pieces of advice came from an MFP friend (Hi delicious_cocktail) who told me a long while back that each time you run, go just 20 yards farther than you did before. That's what every runner is doing, competing with themselves and pushing themselves a little more each time.

You are not running an 8 minute mile until you can cover a mile of ground in 8 minutes. And you know what? That's okay that you aren't. Just go a little farther tomorrow than you did today.

I started running on purpose last December. I could last about 3 minutes before I wanted to keel over and die. And that was at slower than turtle speed, because over and over I heard, "Go slow, then slow down." Now I've sped up to actual turtle speed and can run for close to an hour before I feel like I'm going to keel over and die.

Don't worry about your speed, just run a little bit farther each time you run.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    First step: run 1 miles non stop. Slooooowwwwwww! I don't care about the speed.
    Second step: run 2 miles non stop. Slooooowwwwwww! I don't care about the speed.
    Third step: run 3 miles non stop. Slooooowwwwwww! I don't care about the speed.

Then search: how to improve 5K time. Plenty of results will come up. Read. Apply the new tricks you will learn.

Voilà!!!! You now can run 5K faster!

(That's a better plan than run 0.3 miles all out and wanting to die / improve your time at the same time. Unless you wanna join a sprinting team. Then I have no advices. )
  • Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a program like Couch to 5K to work on increasing your stamina? But, it's not a sprint...it's a sloooooow jog. Work on speed after you work on distance.
  • ryanna01
    Options
    Sorry if what I said was confusing. I can run the 8 minute mile. I was just saying in reply that even though I run for 0.3 miles straight and then slow to a walk then start running again, kind of like intervals.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Sorry if what I said was confusing. I can run the 8 minute mile. I was just saying in reply that even though I run for 0.3 miles straight and then slow to a walk I can still run the mile in 8 minutes.

So you do not run continuously for 8 minutes?

My first running tip then would be to run continuously.
  • ryanna01
    Options
    Sorry if what I said was confusing. I can run the 8 minute mile. I was just saying in reply that even though I run for 0.3 miles straight and then slow to a walk I can still run the mile in 8 minutes.

So you do not run continuously for 8 minutes?

My first running tip then would be to run continuously.
    I can't my lungs start to burn haha.
  • _Josee_
    Options

I'm curious about how fast you are sprinting that 0.3 miles to compensate for walking 0.7 miles at about 16:00 min/mile pace...
  • thenk83
    thenk83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I get it. You're saying 8 min/mi flat. You're roughly running 3:30-3:45 per .3-5 miles and walking at least 30-45 seconds in between? Right? If so that's pretty good coming from the pace you were at. Good job! Keep it up. Just keep running faster and longer. Shortening the walking gap. That's what I'm doing. I set faster goals every run even if its by 1-5 seconds. What helps me is Runtastic and making custom intervals. You'll find you'll be setting your walk intervals less and spending more time running. :)
  • ryanna01
    Options
    I get it. You're saying 8 min/mi flat. You're roughly running 3:30-3:45 per .5 miles and walking at least 30-45 seconds? Right? If so that's pretty good coming from the pace you were at. Good job! Keep it up. Just keep running faster and longer. Shortening the walking gap. That's what I'm doing. I set faster goals every run even if its by 1-5 seconds. What helps me is Runtastic and making custom intervals. You'll find you'll be setting your walk intervals less and spending more time running. :)

Yes this is exactly what I mean! I set goals for myself while running, such as run to that stop sign then catch your breath.
  • _Josee_
    Options
    I get it. You're saying 8 min/mi flat. You're roughly running 3:30-3:45 per .5 miles and walking at least 30-45 seconds? Right? If so that's pretty good coming from the pace you were at. Good job! Keep it up. Just keep running faster and longer. Shortening the walking gap. That's what I'm doing. I set faster goals every run even if its by 1-5 seconds. What helps me is Runtastic and making custom intervals. You'll find you'll be setting your walk intervals less and spending more time running. :)

Yes this is exactly what I mean! I set goals for myself while running, such as run to that stop sign then catch your breath.

Just slow down before you injure yourself. You are not going to become a better runner that way.

On that note, I'm out of here.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Slow down and look up couch to 5k. With distance comes speed. Just get some mileage under your belt. But you need to slow down.