Vanilla almond milk

Options
2»

Replies

• Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I only drink black coffee now, yukky in coffee. I add to puddings, smotthies and scones too
  • Debssssssssss
    Debssssssssss Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's just the brand I was using.. but when I put it in my coffee, it went a bit funny. On the surface little white bits formed and floated around.. a bit like it had curdled. I've since switched brands, but haven't tried it again.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I tried to make Jello instant sugar-free pudding with Silk Light vanilla almond milk last night and it didn't set. I'll stick to dairy milk for that, I guess. I also don't really like it in coffee. I feel like it overwhelms the taste of the coffee.

I do really like almond milk on cereal, in smoothies, and for oatmeal. I haven't baked much with it yet except for some protein mug cakes, but I plan to try it.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I tried to make Jello instant sugar-free pudding with Silk Light vanilla almond milk last night and it didn't set. I'll stick to dairy milk for that, I guess. I also don't really like it in coffee. I feel like it overwhelms the taste of the coffee.

I do really like almond milk on cereal, in smoothies, and for oatmeal. I haven't baked much with it yet except for some protein mug cakes, but I plan to try it.

The chemistry isn't right for that. It's lacking in protein and fats, and although you can make jello with skim milk, even that's a bit runnier. I've heard you can make jello pudding with coconut milk or hemp milk if you add a scoop of protein powder or something, but I'm not a big enough fan to try that one.

I use almond, hemp, and hazelnut milk (unsweetened) store bought. If you look online, YouTube etc, you'll see it's really easy to make your own non-dairy milk, and so far the best homemade was a pistachio milk sweetened with nectresse(monk fruit). It's an easy switch to save calories. My roommates are also paranoid about consuming hormones and antibiotics from commercially farmed cows, and almond milk/coconut milk etc are way cheaper as a bonus.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I have noticed alot of ppl use it in their protein shakes... really you can do just about anything with it... I tried it in my coffee but didnt like it... more due to the visual of it.. it looks grainy in the coffee and so in my coffee I use light vanilla soy milk

Agreed. It made my coffee lumpy and made my smoothie separate. Blah. :sick:
  • stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yes! It tastes great in coffee or even certain flavors of tea. I put almond milk in my smoothies every day. I love the stuff.

ditto
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I use it for everything EXCEPT coffee. To me it makes the coffee taste burnt. I've also tried soy and coconut milk in coffee. Trying to cut down on dairy but I can't seem to give up cream in my coffee, and some cheese occasionally. I use almond milk for drinking, in cereal, oatmeal, smoothies chia pudding, etc. Vanilla is my favourite for sure
  • laurenisfitforlife
    laurenisfitforlife Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I use it in my coffee! It's still creamy but not as heavy as regular coffee cream.
  • maineapple
    maineapple Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the coconut almond milk? If you love coconut you would love the coconut almond milk. I absolutely love it and have it on my cereal. It is only 60 calories for 1 cup too.
  • Clovermoth
    Clovermoth Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There is hemp milk? AND hazelnut milk? You have made my day!!
  • venus_blue
    venus_blue Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk in my lattes, protein shakes and pretty much wherever I would use milk. I don't like skim milk, so it's great to cut calories in my latte. I prefer regular milk on cereal, though. Just isn't the same with almond milk. Though I LOVE everything with Silk coconut milk, but can never find the unsweetened one here.
  • maineapple
    maineapple Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I cannot give up cream in my coffee either. I have tried and tried over the years and I just cannot get to the point where I enjoy black coffee. More importantly for me, black coffee gives me heartburn and stained my teeth a lot. These two things were really what helped me to finally decide to just stay with the half & half. In reality, 1 TBSP of half & half is only 20 calories - so it really isn't a lot of calories that we are talking about here. I have 2 TBSNs of it in my coffee (40 calories) and I am satisfied with it.

BTW, I did try the fat-free half & half and I don't like it. To me, it has a bit of a sweet taste (I don't like anything sweet in my coffee) and it really does not satisfy my desire for that little bit of cream in my coffee.

I have ultimately made a trade-off in that I can have a few less calories for food per day and still be able to have my half & half in my coffee. I think we have to make choices on what we will give up and what we won't give up. For me, I won't give up the half & half.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I bake with it, use it in coffee, use it in my shakes, etc...

Certain things I still use cow milk for, such as pasta dishes and certain baking items. But I use probably 90% almond milk in everyday life now.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I use it in my protein shakes mainly, but honestly haven't bought cow milk in months, if I can't make it with egg whites or almond milk, I guess I don't need to make it lol.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Makes the best oatmeal

It does!
    I also use it as a glass of milk, on cereal, in baking, cocoa & ovaltine. I'm in the minority here about using it in coffee, though. I prefer milk in my coffee.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    bake with it
    put it in smoothies
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Silk almond/coconut unsweetened is my fav.I add vanilla,chocolate syrup & ice for a smoothie.
    great on cereal,oats,baked oatmeal & milkshakes.
    I use no fat skim milk in mashed potatoes,eggs,any creamed veggie.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    You can substitute almond milk for anything you use cow's milk with, though the nutty flavour of the original can sometimes alter the flavour if used in cooking. I prefer unsweetened vanilla for smoothies as the flavour is lighter than original unsweetened and goes well with all fruits (especially orange, where I often add a little vanilla extract to the mix as well to make it taste like a Creamsicle). I like unsweetened vanilla almond milk for iced coffee, but it tastes off in hot coffee to me, so I use unsweetened original almond milk instead, which gives it that nice creamy, nutty flavour. I usually drink black coffee and don't like flavoured coffees/lattes so that may be why I personally don't like the vanilla taste in my coffee. I'm lactose-intolerant and prefer almond to soy milk any day of the week.