Favorite documentaries?

Options

Replies

• DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Beyond the Lighted Stage

Great documentary about a classic rock band, even non-fans could give this one a watch and be entertained.

Metal: A Headbanger's Journey &
    Global Metal

Two documentaries about heavy metal music that are very entertaining and informative, especially if you're a fan.
  • Proph24
    Proph24 Posts: 195
    Options
    If you like WWI, WWII, or economic history:

War of the Century (http://www.amazon.com/War-Century-Hitler-Fought-Stalin/dp/B00097DY6G)
    First World War: The Complete Series (http://www.amazon.com/First-World-War-Complete/dp/B0009S2K9C/)
    Paris 1919 (http://www.amazon.com/Paris-1919-Narrator-R-H-Thomson/dp/B002JUFPFY)
    The Crash of 1929: The Great Depression (available on YouTube as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE9aFqEyUhA)

nice thanks..im currently on a huge world war kick
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Rize
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    OK, I forgot the ultimate classic then... I even have the soundtrack!

* The World at War (http://www.amazon.com/World-War-Ultimate-Restored-Collectors/dp/B003IN7YPU/)
  • PriscillaLaine
    PriscillaLaine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Belle and Sebastian - If you're feeling sinister
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm a big documentary junkie. But i also enjoy watching Quack ones that are full of bias and false information. I find them hilarious Especially when I'm inhebriated.

Some of my fav non quack:
    OUtFoxed
    Very Young Girls
    the Drugs INC series
    anything by the Fifth Estate (CBC)
    Cosmos
    Judgement Day: Intelligent design on trial
    Anything by NOVA
    The Oxycontin Express (VICE)
    Americas Most Hated Family and Americas Most Hated Family in Crisis
    Samsara
    The Bully Project
    For the Bible Tells me So

Some fav quack documentarys
    Anything by Gary Null
    Anything by the scientologist organization called the Citizen Commission on Human Rights
    Jesus Camp
    Eat Fast and Live Longer
    Supersize Me

There are also documentaries that make me angry becasue they are completely wrong. But that list is too long for a forum lol
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Mugabe and the White African (Netflix)

I second the tips on "Restrepo," and thank previous poster for tip on "Korengal."
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Beyond the Lighted Stage

Great documentary about a classic rock band, even non-fans could give this one a watch and be entertained.

Metal: A Headbanger's Journey &
    Global Metal

Two documentaries about heavy metal music that are very entertaining and informative, especially if you're a fan.

Ooo reminds me of another one. Don't Stop Believin: Everyman's Journey. Helps that Arnel Pineda is really easy on the eyes.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I watched a good one on Sharks recently...can't recall the title!

I insist that you find it.
  • Meerataila
    Options
    I'm a big documentary junkie. But i also enjoy watching Quack ones that are full of bias and false information. I find them hilarious Especially when I'm inhebriated.

Some of my fav non quack:
    OUtFoxed
    Very Young Girls
    the Drugs INC series
    anything by the Fifth Estate (CBC)
    Cosmos
    Judgement Day: Intelligent design on trial
    Anything by NOVA
    The Oxycontin Express (VICE)
    Americas Most Hated Family and Americas Most Hated Family in Crisis
    Samsara
    The Bully Project
    For the Bible Tells me So

Some fav quack documentarys
    Anything by Gary Null
    Anything by the scientologist organization called the Citizen Commission on Human Rights
    Jesus Camp
    Eat Fast and Live Longer
    Supersize Me

There are also documentaries that make me angry becasue they are completely wrong. But that list is too long for a forum lol

Lots of good ones. How did I forget Outfoxed on my list? And VICE has tons of great short docs.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    I know there's a lot of hype around Blackfish but I actually prefer The Cove and End of the Line. I have my students watch all of them and we get some really great discussions on propaganda, bias, cultural influence etc. but still manage to drive home the environmental impact issues. If I had to pick only one it would be End of the Line, it doesn't have the tug on heart strings impact that The Cove does, but it is BY FAR the more important issue, and one that few people are aware of.
  • Meerataila
    Options
    Zeitgeist: The Movie
    Future by Design
    Kumare (it's like an inoculation against religious frauds)
    Eat, Fast, & Live Longer
    Food Inc
    Supersize Me
    American: The Bill Hicks Story
    No End in Sight
    All the Michael Moore ones I've seen, which is most.
    Blackfish
    Luna (about a killer whale, and I cried like a little girl)
    Grizzly Man
    Taking Aim: The Story of the American Indian Movement
    GasLand
    Reel Injun
    Guns Germs and Steel
    Incident at Oglala – The Leonard Peltier Story
    The Revisionaries (why I would never want to be a school teacher)
    Dirty Wars
    So many on our exploitation of Latin America that I can't even begin to name them all.

I could pretty much go on forever. I better stop now.

Okay now I'm stopping. Really.
    That's a good list, Meerata. I saw Kumare, and it was good. The revisionists sounds very interesting -- i will check that out. I saw one on North korea and life for the people there that was very disturbing, but also informative. Even though we have a lot of things wrong here, it made me so glad not to live in north Korea, and so sorry for those that do. An oldie but a good re; our messing around in South and Central america is called the Panama Deception.

I'll have to check out the Panama Deception, original home of our own School of Americas. Honestly, there were some I couldn't watch when I was using Netflix for all my documentary needs, because I couldn't handle it right then. One was on torture and death squads in Indonesia, one was on atrocious human rights violations in Africa (forget which country), and I think there might have been one on North Korea, too. Come to think of it, I'm surprised there hasn't been a good on on Chechnya, or not one I've found yet. The Russians must be keeping a tight lid on their atrocities.

@QueenBish: Two more to add to my list of films that keep me disturbed and awake at night!
  • PriscillaLaine
    Options
    Oh, and Giant Squid: Filming the Impossible - Natural World Special
    Utterly incredible. I love squids
  • Awesomers
    Awesomers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I just finished watching one called The Woman Who Wasn't There, which was both disturbing and amusing. I would recommend it. One of my all-time favorites that I haven't seen listed here is God Grew Tired of Us. Must-see.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    @QueenBish: Two more to add to my list of films that keep me disturbed and awake at night!

The Cove is rough, I get at least a few students crying on that one every year. End of the Line I feel is actually somewhat heartening because it's an issue that's fixable, and it's an issue that the individual consumer can really do something about.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Showgirls, and anything involving sharks.
  • PriscillaLaine
    Options
    'H.H Holmes: America's first serial killer' is also good, if you find serial killers interesting!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    Showgirls, and anything involving sharks.

Well in that case I should cast my vote for Magic Mike and 300 :tongue: .

ETA: Sharkwaters, I can't stand the host and it also has a lot of Paul Watson whom I also have some issues with, but its really the only decent documentary I've seen on the shark fining issue so.... I have to recommend it on principle.
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    'H.H Holmes: America's first serial killer' is also good, if you find serial killers interesting!
    I enjoyed that one a lot. Cocaine Cowboys is a good one as well. It is interesting to me how much cocaine helped turn Miami into what it is today.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, Cove...