Juicing is working for me

Options
I just turned 59 (male, medium frame) and play competitive tennis (4.0 level) three to five times a week, mostly singles. I'm 5'10 and started with myfitnesspal about a year ago, when I weighed 190. Through sensible eating I got down to 175-180. I recently watched "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" at the urging of my daughter, and decided to give it a try. I already owned a Breville juicer that had been gathering dust for years, so two weeks ago we started a ten day fast. I lost about ten pounds and now weigh 167 lbs and feel great. I still juice three times a day and have a sensible "normal" meal for dinner. I was happy at 177 and didn't do this to lose weight, but my tennis has benefited so much, and I feel so great I've set a new goal of 155, which is what I weighed from age 18 to about age 30.

The only negative is the horrible feedback I get from lots of people, who think I'm crazy for juicing. Why is there so much anti-juicing sentiment out there?

Replies

• chris1bb
    chris1bb Posts: 2
    Options
    I juice but only a single glass a day, I do it as I enjoy juice and its better than carton stuff. I personally wouldnt use more due to the the high levels of sugar from the fruit (I dont use much veg in juicer), its almost like your body is just surviving on those sugars.
    Have also seen various reports on real damage to the body from long term high daily intake of juices from the very high fruit acid level they contain to our system that much prefers a nice alkaline balance.

guess its possible to find reports that will fit what ever outlook we each choose
  • PostBabyAndAll
    PostBabyAndAll Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think people leave negative comments because they don't have the will power to do it themselves. Who wouldn't want to feel healthy & lose weight quickly. Good for you.
  • Maryam4eva
    Maryam4eva Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think people leave negative comments because they don't have the will power to do it themselves. Who wouldn't want to feel healthy & lose weight quickly. Good for you.
    BOOM!!!
  • GenZombie
    GenZombie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    BOOM!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    BOOM!!!
    :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's it. Forgot to mention we're jealous of liquid poop and depleted lean mass. I'd rather "be" healthy than "feel" healthy and I'd rather have lost weight in a slow and sustainable manner rather than a quick fix. Will the juicebots maintain this diet for the rest of their lives? I highly doubt it.
  • chityetlar
    chityetlar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I drink green juice for lunch every day. That helps me loose weight. Don't listen to others, and just listen to your body.
  • Froggymcconnell
    Froggymcconnell Posts: 92 Member
    Options

omg really? you only joined site so maybe use search feature and do some research!!

people have negative feedback because it is not considered to be a lifestyle change which is needed for LONG TERM success.

Juicing has advantages just as much as disadvantages.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I drink green juice for lunch every day. That helps me loose weight. Don't listen to others, and just listen to your body.

I eat real food for lunch every day, this helps me lose weight, and fuel my body properly.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Meh, I like to eat my foods. Others like to drink them. I could never figure out how to make juiced chicken and potatoes taste good, though :wink: .

Seriously, though, as long as you're hitting your macros, reaching your calorie goals, and meeting your micro-nutritional needs, that's great.:drinker:
  • 0mega60
    0mega60 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    -Thank your this post.
    -I have been firm user of supplements and powders, pre ,intra , and post drinks.
    -I have been thinking of JUICERS lately and now seriously considering this add.
    -thank you again
  • Maryam4eva
    Maryam4eva Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's it. Forgot to mention we're jealous of liquid poop and depleted lean mass. I'd rather "be" healthy than "feel" healthy and I'd rather have lost weight in a slow and sustainable manner rather than a quick fix. Will the juicebots maintain this diet for the rest of their lives? I highly doubt it.
    I'm not going to lie but i will say that juice fast is not the best way to lose weight fast but its excellent when it comes to curing man made DISEASES
  • RestartingAgain1
    Options
    Lack of protein in your diet. Youll be getting some, if youre using spinach but not a lot. Also I know people who juice and get a VERY low amount of calories.
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Juicing just seems extreme and unsustainable in the long term.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

I'm not going to lie but i will say that juice fast is not the best way to lose weight fast but its excellent when it comes to curing man made DISEASES

What diseases exactly have we "created" that need to be cured?
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

I like knowing when I sneeze I'm not going to have a pantastrophe. Willpower has nothing to do with it.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

I like knowing when I sneeze I'm not going to have a pantastrophe. Willpower has nothing to do with it.

I agree. Willpower cannot halt a pantastrophe. Only good quality underwear can, and that's not even 100% guaranteed.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Because i have no intention of drinking just juice for the rest of my life. also fiber. and well...I like to sink my teeth into a hamburger every once in a while.

The way I eat and excersize now is possibley (and hopefully) what Ill be doing 20 years from now.
    YOu are only eating one actual food meal a day. That sounds like a miserable life plan.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Waiting...
    bored.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Waiting...
    bored.gif

Oh wow. And here it's always been about the toxins. Now we've got man made diseases. In for the discovery.

Deer-popcorn.gif
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!