Confused vegetarian!

Options
I do CrossFit four days a week and run 3 miles twice a week. I have 20 pounds to lose. After doing this routine for three months I have not lost one single pound, changed my body fat %, or measurements. I asked some people at my CF gym what might be the reason why. They say I'm not eating enough and I'm not getting enough protein. I talked to my doctor, she ran a bunch of tests and says everything is normal.

Here's where the confusion starts. I've always been told to lose weight you have to have a calorie deficit. MFP says I should eat around 1,600 calories a day. I wear a FITBIT that is connected to MFP to track my activity. With food and activity I'm hitting 1,400-1,800 each day. The coach at CF says I should be eating 2,300 a day!!! How can that be without GAINING weight?

On the protein issue, no matter how much I try I only hit 100 grams a day (should be double that). I've added eggs, fish, and protein shakes to try to up it and I just can't break 100!

Typical day:
Breakfast-Smoothie made with vegan protein powder or 3 eggs and fruit
Lunch: Salad topped with tofu or a can of tuna
Dinner: Salmon with vegetables, shrimp curry, or a tofu dish
Snacks: 1 or 2 a day depending on workouts-protein smoothie or piece of fruit and nut butter

How do I up my protein and lose weight!?!?!

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    If you are in a deficit, you will lose weight. Otherwise no one would ever starve to death. Are you weighing every bite of food you put in your mouth and double checking the nutrition info with other databases? MFP isn't always accurate. The other possibility is you aren't burning as many calories as your FITBIT thinks you are.

The third you ruled out: a metabolism so low that you aren't creating a deficit on the amount of calories a normally functioning person would. At least if your doctor did the proper bloodwork, you ruled it out.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Based of you're ticker you have 17 lb to go.

I've learned that the last bit of weight is the absolute hardest to lose.

If you're Crossfitting you're likely gaining muscle as fast as you lose fat, which is entirely frustrating because the scale doesn't move.

Good luck and keep with it.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

If you're Crossfitting you're likely gaining muscle as fast as you lose fat, which is entirely frustrating because the scale doesn't move.

She will not gain muscle in a calorie deficit.

Not sure why you think you need 200g of protein a day. I know protein is over pushed you actually need a lot less than the protein bar salesmen tell you. People get a bit carried away with Protein on this site.

Also to add your not a Vegetarian as what tree does salmon grow on? Sorry to be pedantic but why call yourself one when your not

You may find this useful

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-protein-primer/
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

She will not gain muscle in a calorie deficit.

Not sure why you think you need 200g of protein a day. I know protein is over pushed you actually need a lot less than the protein bar salesmen tell you. People get a bit carried away with Protein on this site.

Also to add your not a Vegetarian as what tree does salmon grow on? Sorry to be pedantic but why call yourself one when your not

You may find this useful

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-protein-primer/

Or tuna.

Vegetarians do not eat animals. Salmon and tuna are fish. Fish are animals.

I've been lifting weights for 9 weeks. My scale hasn't moved but I've lost inches everywhere. Scale not moving mainly because water retention to repair muscles. If you've lost inches you're making progress.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    First off, how much do you weigh where you think you should be getting 200 grams of protein a day? That's my goal and I'm 195 pound dude. A good rule of thumb is 1 gram per pound of lean body mass if you're weight training. Yes, some excess won't hurt, and there are some arguments for more protein, but you also need fat, carbs, and fiber. And yes, you can gain muscle in a calorie deficit for the first year or so of real weight training, maybe more. It depends. It sounds like some combination of playing with your training and/or nutrition is in order but we need more information.
  • g1ngermark
    g1ngermark Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Guess the topic title is indeed appropriate then...

I think many Pescetarians call themselves Vegetarians...
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Your Fitbit burn is your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure, aka maintenance calories)—way more accurate than any online calculator. If you eat at a reasonable deficit from your Fitbit burn, you will lose weight.

For basic "how-to" info, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users

With 17 lbs. to go, set your goal to .5 lb. per week: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Connect your MFP & Fitbit accounts: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/30

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Follow your MFP calorie goal. Log non-step exercise in Fitbit, not MFP. Fitbit's burns are way more accurate than MFP's one-size-fits-all guesstimates.
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    While it is true that salmon, tuna, and shrimp are animals, pescitarian is considered a form of vegetarianism by some people.

ETA: But that's not really what the OP is asking about.
  • Murphy0126
    Murphy0126 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Weight loss = Calorie Deficit

If you eat veggies, fruit, meat, fish, McDonalds, pizza, burgers, ice cream...... doesn't matter. As long as you take in less than your body expends, you will lose weight (barring any medical condition).

Weight loss isn't 80% diet 20% exercise; it's 100% diet. Exercise only serves to create a larger deficit.

So, in short. You're eating more than you think.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options

I was waiting for someone to criticize her for the label she is giving herself. Didn't have to wait though.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

I was waiting for someone to criticize her for the label she is giving herself. Didn't have to wait though.
    I don't get this idea of calling yourself something you are not. Who are people trying to kid when they do it. Is it trying to make you feel better about your choices? If your unhappy about your choices do something about it but don't try an pretend your something your not as you just look silly

A link the the Vegetarian society if people want to know what one is

https://www.vegsoc.org/definition
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options

I don't get this idea of calling yourself something you are not. Who are people trying to kid when they do it. Is it trying to make you feel better about your choices? If your unhappy about your choices do something about it but don't try an pretend your something your not as you just look silly

woah.....
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    On the protein issue, no matter how much I try I only hit 100 grams a day (should be double that). I've added eggs, fish, and protein shakes to try to up it and I just can't break 100!

How do I up my protein and lose weight!?!?!
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. I use MFP's default macros (20% of my calories from protein), and I lost weight.

Read the Sexypants link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    Options

I don't think it's any of my business. I think people look silly when they play "semantics police"
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Must get your official Membership Card and Decoder Ring first, I suppose.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

I don't think it's any of my business. I think people look silly when they play "semantics police"

Yeah, it would be so wonderful if these forums were actually a place where people who need help and advice could actually get it instead of playing Russian roulette with people who like to criticize things (like self-imposed labels) that are none of their business and have nothing to do with what the posters are asking help on. Dream on, huh? Lovely example of why I never ask for help or opinions here.
    Options
    What I have learned on mfp forums:

If you had a cookie with an egg in it last week, how dare you call yourself a vegan. This is offensive to vegans.

If you use the term "trophy wife" you are being very critical. Using a term like this is just as offensive as racist slurs.

Starting a thread to inquire about your protein intake and daring to use the word "vegetarian" in the title when you eat fish is at best misleading and at worse, plain *offensive*

Oh, but it's ok to use the words "milf" , "cougar" and to talk about who you'd line to bang. Hard.

*shrugs*
    Options

If you had a cookie with an egg in it last week, how dare you call yourself a vegan. This is offensive to vegans.

If you use the term "trophy wife" you are being very critical. Using a term like this is just as offensive as racist slurs.

Starting a thread to inquire about your protein intake and daring to use the word "vegetarian" in the title when you eat fish is at best misleading and at worse, plain *offensive*

Oh, but it's ok to use the words "milf" , "cougar" and to talk about who you'd line to bang. Hard.

*shrugs*

Ok. That was a bit harsh:)
    /sarcasm
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

*shrugs*

10/10 would send junk pics
  • michaeljacksonfan333
    michaeljacksonfan333 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    FATDOOB: It's called being a pesca vegitaration. Do your homework before you correct people.