Spaghetti Squash

Options

Replies

• jenniferpark01
    jenniferpark01 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a veggie spiralizer (a kitchen gadget that you can put veggies on, crank a handle, and a plate cuts to look like pasta). I make my squash pasta with Zucchini. Way easier than spaghetti squash. I like to top mine with normal pasta toppings.
  • fatnomoremama
    Options
    We use it in place of spaghetti. I adore pumpkin seeds so my daughter roasts the spaghetti squash seeds for me, they are delicious!
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    After you've scraped the squash out, add a little butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, and parmesan cheese. It's delicious!

I've also made a creamy recipe. Here's what I entered into the recipe part of MFP to calculate (I weigh everything so I can't tell you other measurements):

390 calories per serving, makes 4 servings.

12 oz chicken breast
    2 cloves garlic
    208 g onion
    160 g kale
    1011 g spaghetti squash
    1 cup almond milk
    3 oz cream cheese
    14 Tbsp parmesan cheese
    Salt and pepper to taste

Cut up and cook the chicken breast with a little salt and pepper. Saute the onion, garlic, and kale together. Add cooked, scraped squash. Cook together, in a separate pot, the milk, cream cheese, and parmesan cheese. Mix all ingredients together. Voila! Even my boyfriend liked it!
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    After you've scraped the squash out, add a little butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, and parmesan cheese. It's delicious!

I've also made a creamy recipe. Here's what I entered into the recipe part of MFP to calculate (I weigh everything so I can't tell you other measurements):

390 calories per serving, makes 4 servings.

12 oz chicken breast
    2 cloves garlic
    208 g onion
    160 g kale
    1011 g spaghetti squash
    1 cup almond milk
    3 oz cream cheese
    14 Tbsp parmesan cheese
    Salt and pepper to taste

Cut up and cook the chicken breast with a little salt and pepper. Saute the onion, garlic, and kale together. Add cooked, scraped squash. Cook together, in a separate pot, the milk, cream cheese, and parmesan cheese. Mix all ingredients together. Voila! Even my boyfriend liked it!

That sounds awesome! And I think I already have everything I need :) I think this may be my experiment this week!
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i made a cold spagetti squash salad with feta cheese , tomatoes , orange bell pepper , onion, cut up spinach leaves and italian seasoning, baslamic vinegar and olive oil ..salt and pepper to taste ..loved it

That sounds delicious!!

IT IS!!!!! :) got me going on here..now im going to go buy me one and make it lol
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I usually take a clever to it. I place it in the center and make a dent first. Then I put the front point of the clever in the dent and cut into the lower half. Then flip it around to cut the other half. My sister puts the whole squash in the microwave and cooks it a few minutes to soften it. then she cuts it and returns it to the microwave. She can never remember how long. so I can't pass that on. she has never been able to tell me.

I have grilled it and loved it. Here are some links to my blog and some recipes. Don't give up it really is a delicious versatile veggie.

http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/01/cincinnati-chili-with-spaghetti-squash.html

http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/09/bbq-spaghetti-squash-with-pulled-chicken.html
  • temptress75519
    temptress75519 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti Squash with butter and some brown sugar. Or just by itself. It's more of a dessert for me than a meal. It's sweet. Tried using it as noodles for spaghetti and it was disgusting.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I like it with ground pepper and coconut flakes.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If you decide to cook spaghetti squash in the microwave, either cut it in half or cut BIG holes in it. Don't just poke it with a fork like you do for a potato. Use a big knife or something.

Why do I tell you this? Well, once upon a time a large spaghetti squash blew up, threw open the microwave door and spewed spaghetti squash strands all over my apartment great room. Cleaning it up was a chore, of course, but it's the sound of the squash explosion I remember most. I think it took several years off my life.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If you decide to cook spaghetti squash in the microwave, either cut it in half or cut BIG holes in it. Don't just poke it with a fork like you do for a potato. Use a big knife or something.

Why do I tell you this? Well, once upon a time a large spaghetti squash blew up, threw open the microwave door and spewed spaghetti squash strands all over my apartment great room. Cleaning it up was a chore, of course, but it's the sound of the squash explosion I remember most. I think it took several years off my life.
    OMG! Can imagine the noise ...and the mess!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I slowly saw into it with a knife lengthways so I don't saw into myself. I microwave the halves until soft and use it like pasta.

I saw a pin on Pinterest where you bake the squash halves with meatballs and cheese. I will be trying that soon. (Veggie balls of course).
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options

Omg!
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I could live on SS!
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Love this veggie! I will cut it in half, spray pan or you can drizzle with olive oil black pepper also. Baek for 45min-1 hr depending on size . cool and scrape out.
    I like to serve with turkey meatballs and a little sauce cheese if you like.
    also I hav eseen a recipe leaving it in the shell, top with dices tomatoes, basil, shredded cheese or a drizzle of oil
  • janelily7
    janelily7 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hiya,. Butternut squash I slice it then cut the skin off each slice.
  • b4tb4t
    b4tb4t Posts: 30
    Options
    I've never had a problem cutting squash.. o.o This is kinda shocking to me. I'm weak as heck too as for upper arm strength. I just use a sharp butchers knife. Might have to wriggle the knife back and forth a bit but it generally doesn't take too long.
    Chop it in half, scoop out the seeds, and toss it in the microwave with a little water in it. Boom! x3
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    This is my favorite way to make it, however, I am a low carber soooooo.

cut in half length wise, remove any seeds and boil until tender
    scoop out the squash

combine squash with salt, pepper, butter and cheese.

add combined ingrediants back into the empty squash shells and bake until the cheese is melted.

sooooo yummy......
  • ashthecat15
    ashthecat15 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2009/02/recipe-for-twice-baked-spaghetti-squash.html

This stuff is so good!!

Twice-Baked Spaghetti Squash with Pesto and Parmesan
    (Makes about 6 servings, recipe created by Kalyn.)

Ingredients:
    1 large spaghetti squash (6-8 lbs.)
    1 T olive oil
    1 tsp. Rosemary Garlic Rub (or use other seasoning of your choice
    2 T basil pesto
    1/2 cup + 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
    salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Wash outside of spaghetti squash if it's dirty, then cut squash in half lengthwise. Use a sharp pointed spoon to scrape out seeds and stringy gunk that's around the seeds.

Cut ends off squash if desired, then rub inside surface with a small amount of olive oil and Rosemary Garlic Rub. Put squash on baking sheet and pour 1/4 cup water around bottom of squash. Roast squash, starting to check after about 40 minutes and removing when squash is still firm but strings apart fairly easily into spaghetti-like strands.

Let squash cool a few minutes if needed, then scrape out strands into a plastic bowl and discard skins. Gently mix in pesto and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, then pour squash/cheese mixture into a gratin dish and top with 1/4 cup more parmesan cheese. Bake 20-30 minutes more, until mixture is slightly bubbling and cheese is melted. Serve hot.
  • sassyww
    sassyww Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I saw this post! (ESPECIALLY the warnings about cutting it!!) I have my 1st SS in the fridge and planned to cook it tomorrow for dinner.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I find I like the consistency better if I place it upside down in a glass cake pan, add about an inch of water, and bake at 425 for 25-30 minutes. Gets nice and tender and not as crunchy. We usually top ours with homemade spaghetti sauce - not very creative :)