How many pounds do you lose weekly?

Options
2»

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    .5 lb per week on average though it's slowing down as I'm very close to my goal (I'm 147.5 and my goal is 145). I don't worry about my weight so much as my body changes and I feel that's the healthiest way forward. I've only lost 17 lbs but my body has changed a lot.
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    1-2 lbs but this is an average. Some weeks the scale goes down more, but as long as I'm trending down, I am thrilled! Slow, steady, consistent. That is the way to success for me.
  • MN4US
    MN4US Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    0.25lb!! Per week.. As I seem to be losing a pound a month lol.

Not too fussed about it, I'm 10-15 lbs away from my goal, enjoying good food, exercising and how great it feels :D
    Oh and I've stopped basing my day on the scales, I'm losing inches!! And getting fitter! So who cares or even knows the number on my scale other than me?

Slow and steady wins the race.. This a change I'm making for life, not just a few months so I'm happy for my body to do it's thing at its own rate :) happy rant over.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I just averaged my loss over my time here: 3.44lbs.

Jeez that seems like a lot...
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on your body really... someone who is severely overweight could lose five pounds in a week and it's still a healthy regime where as someone who only has 10 pounds to lose might just drop .6 of a pound and it's still great success. The biggest problem with the diet industry and all of the blogs and such is that you come away with the impression that one journey will ever be the same as the next. It's all based on circumstance and body response. You have to be intuitive and pay attention to your self vs. others and let go of what you've been brainwashed into believing from the people who's only goal is often to sell you more weight loss gunk.

Just do two things... calculate your deficit. East at that number or under. Done.

You have to be patient and stay consistent, don't eliminate anything that you love just fit it into your goals. Exercise when you feel motivated to and make it fun. Unless you're in this to train to be a competitive bodybuilder? There is nothing else you need to do to complicate this.

=D
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My average for my first month was 4lbs, next 2 months was about 3lbs, but I have a LOT to lose!
    It's beginning to slow to 2-3 now, so I think I'll be averaging 2 lbs a week soon - which is what I wanted after an initial faster loss.
  • lelyke
    lelyke Posts: 47
    Options
    4.4 pounds when I starve, 2.2 when I don't
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky if I can lose .5lb/week, even eating 1500 net or less. Wish I was more like you 1-3lb people. =)

from what I understand if you lose more then 2 pounds it's dangerous? not sure if this is true.

it's not necessarily dangerous - but it's not the best for optimal health for everyone

the more fat you have, the faster you can lose without suffering from ill effects. The main things you want to avoid are loss of lean body mass and getting into a binge eating/excessive restriction cycle.

If someone has lots of weight to lose, like getting on for 100lb, they can usually lose 2-3lb a week without those problems.

with less to lose, then it's more like 1-2lb a week

if you're trying to lose the last few lbs, the risk of problems such as the above is that much greater, and it's better to go really slowly, e.g. aiming for 0.5lb/week.

That's optimal, but nothing wrong with going slower than the above, if it makes the diet easier to stick to, so long as you really are losing at a steady rate and are not totally stalled out.

Bear in mind that the human body burns fat slowly, so losing more than the above is a sign that what you're losing isn't pure fat. Don't look at one week in isolation, water weight gains and losses can mask fat loss on the scale, so a drop of 3lb in one week may be because you were retaining water the previous week... so look at the trend over time. If the average weekly loss is the same as the above that's optimal. If it's less than the above but still steady, and you're happy with your diet, keep going. If it's more than the above, then it's possible you're losing lean mass as well.
  • Lara124911
    Lara124911 Posts: 23
    Options
    I was over weight and tried so many things. Different things work for different people and I was lucky enough to find one that worked for me. I lost 18 pounds in one month without much exercise and it's been a life changer. I'm a little embarrased to post my before and after photos here but if anyone actually cares to hear what I've been doing then I'd be happy to help in any way. Just shoot me an email at secretosdelara@gmail.com and I'll show you my before and after photos, and tell you about how things are going for me with the stuff I've tried. I wish someone would have helped me out when I was struggling to find a solution so if I can help you then it would make my day