I bought a bag of frozen, cooked shrimp

Options
Jess__I__Can
Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
And now I don't know what to do! It was an impulse purchase, I thought for sure I'd find a recipe, but nope. Any ideas? I don't like ginger. And trying to keep it low cal.

Replies

• dianastepheny
    dianastepheny Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Stir fry it with a bunch of veggies and some teriyaki? That will have a lot of sodium, but if that is not a concern, then that could be yummy.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Maybe ceviche or a Mexican shrimp cocktail?

http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/04/mexican-shrimp-cocktail.html

Or fresh spring / summer rolls or lettuce wraps? You could skip the rice paper wrap and just make a salad bowl.

http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/10/goldenland-spring-rolls-with-thai-style.html
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Do not stir-fry already cooked shrimp—you'll ruin it.

If it's frozen, thaw it in the fridge or under running water. Get some cocktail sauce for a high-protein, low calorie treat.
  • PaulaKac
    PaulaKac Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Saute with a little butter and parmesan cheese. Serve over rice
  • NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Grill it on skewers!
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Take a red salsa, warm it in a pan, take thawed shrimp and GENTLY warm them in the salsa. Eat with eggs and on top of a corn tortilla or tostada. Its a traditional Mexican dish called camarones rancheros. Usually you would use uncooked shrimp but I'm sure the cooked will be good too, just be gentle and don't do more than warm them in the pan or they will be rubbery.

Or you can just make a cocktail sauce and eat them cold as a snack...yum

Edit: Just had a thought! Every try bun? Its a Vietnamese dish, its essentially cold rice noodles, lettuce, mint and basil leaves, topped with shredded carrots, cucumber peanuts and a sweet sauce. You can add any meat to this but shrimp has always been my favorite.

http://www.cooksmarts.com/cs-blog/2013/06/shrimp-vermicelli-bowl-recipe/
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    There are tons of recipes. Use your imagination.
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    a bit of olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and cilantro, sautée all that and served with steamed white rice :)
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Warm it up in a little butter and garlic. Don't keep it in long or it will go rubbery, because it's already cooked.
  • HellaCarriefornia
    HellaCarriefornia Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    They are already cooked, so don't cook them again. Your best bet is to thaw them and use. In any "cooked" dish just add them in at the very end to warm them up a little, if desired. Make a stir fry and add them in. Add them to a little pasta with summer veggies you sauteed in a little olive oil. Put them in an awesome salad with avocado, corn and other yummy stuff. Shrimp tacos! So many things you can do with them and they are so quick so it's super easy to make a quick supper. :)
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    For a warm dish, I suggest tacos on small corn tortillas with cabbage, onion, cilantro, salsa, plain greek yogurt or sour cream, and some roasted jalapenos or serranos (sp?). Or you can buy Taylor Farms Asian chopped salad and go Asian flair taco style (don't think it contains ginger).

For a cold dish, defrost the shrimp and go cocktail style. Here's three sauce ideas. (Mango basil is done in the food procesor, the other two just bowl mix)

FOR THE MANGO-BASIL SAUCE
    2 small mangoes, peeled and chopped
    1/2 lemon, peeled and rind finely chopped (2 teaspoons)
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon rice vinegar (not seasoned)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Pinch freshly ground white pepper
    5 basil leaves, thinly sliced

FOR THE TOMATO-HORSERADISH SAUCE
    1 cup chili sauce, such as Heinz
    1/2 cup prepared horseradish
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    Freshly ground black pepper

FOR THE REMOULADE
    3/4 cup mayonnaise
    3 tablespoons ketchup
    1 tablespoon spicy stone-ground mustard, preferably Creole (zatarains.com)
    3 tablespoons finely chopped celery
    1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 tablespoon finely chopped scallion
    Freshly ground black pepper
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    To thaw quickly without making them all watery from washing -- put a serving in a zippered bag and put that in some tap water. Weight it down with a pot lid if it wants to float. The shrimp will thaw much faster because water is such a good heat conductor.

Then do anything you want with the shrimp. Don't expect it to be the best quality shrimp you've ever eaten but it's handy as all get out. I find the smaller pre-cooked/frozen taste better than the bigger ones. Sometimes these are called "salad shrimp" and, unlike some of the larger frozen shrimp, the tails have been taken off so you don't have to pull the hard parts off yourself.

A very easy/tasty thing to do is to turn them into instant shrimp salad with a bit of mayo and relish. Or just toss them in a tossed salad. Really, anything you would do with a can of tuna you can pretty much do with the cooked shrimp.

Yum, yum. In fact, you remind me -- I have some in the freezer right now. And I have some low carb tortillas. Sounds like a shrimp wrap for lunch, huh.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Thaw them out properly, I wouldn't cook them again because they're already cooked.
    They're nice with Salad, wraps, sandwiches, stir fry, pasta dishes. You can do so much with them! :)
  • trinacrick
    trinacrick Posts: 41
    Options
    http://www.thelondoner.me/2012/02/fat-free-shrimp-salsa.html

Love this recipe and also love her site.....
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Stir fry some veggies - add cooked orzo or noodles and sweet chilli sauce then just stir through defrosted shrimp to warm it. Yum!!!
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I mix up softened butter with some lemon juice, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and some Mrs. Dash. Put the shrimp on some foil put pats of butter on top of the shrimp and seal the foil to make a packet. Put on the grill for a couple of minutes until the butter melts. I use an indoor Croc Grill.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Grill it on skewers!

I actually went out and got larger, raw shrimp to do just this tonight! Thank you!

Thanks to you all, I got some really great ideas.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I fry them with olive oil in a skillet and then add to rice or marinara and noodles.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    if its pre cooked shrimp, nothing. just defrost and eat.

i dont usually cook with the precooked stuff its better for salads. they tend to overcook when you cook them more, and their flavor is different. i like to just eat a pile of shrimp with some veggies. or use them in sandwich wraps. dip them in cocktail sauce....

pre cooked shrimp is a ready to eat.. i usually cook with easy peel uncooked.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i also think they are better cold too, and great to eat on the porch on a summer day with fruit and salad...