Eating too much fat?

Options
13»

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    The person who said your brain needs fat was wrong. The brain uses sugar. That's all it can use. Sugar is what fuels the brain.

This is so wrong it's almost funny.
    Why don't you share your extensive knowledge of physiology with me.

Go ahead and use the big words. I'll try to keep up.

I am more interested in your evidence that the brain only uses sugar.
    Go to a library. Pick up a book on Physiology. Read.

You'll learn all you want to know about how the brain uses glucose and how when the body runs out - like if you were starving - it will send messages out to the rest of the body and things will start being converted. The liver and gluconeogensis are particularly fascinating. To me, anyway.

If you're looking for Internet stuff, you'll need to do it on your own. Google. :)

Listen. I realize you mean glucose, but calling it "sugar" isn't exactly helpful. If you find one single scholarly source that says "sugar" my bad.
    Glucose is a sugar.

If you just want to fight on the Internet, I'll concede that you're always right and much smarter than me and we need never get into it again. I have no interest in that silliness.

If you genuinely have an interest in these things - and why everyone doesn't, I don't know because it's fascinating! - the library has textbooks available to read for free! You don't even have to pay for a class and $500 for the textbook set. I hear they're going for about $500 now, I don't know.

Fight on the internet? No. I just hate to see people try to correct misinformation with really wobbly terminology that could easily confuse somebody without more education. If you are as well studied as you are trying to portray yourself, you know that glucose is a type of sugar that differs from other sugars in significant ways and those differences are critical when talking about the brain.
    I don't think it's critical to get deep down into detailed stuff. You might. I don't. We discuss all kinds of things here with very Broad terms and that's cool. If you want to be uber-detailed in all your responses because you think it's critical, go for it.

I do not say that I'm "well studied" or well-read. I have said this many times: The only people who consider me well-read are people who aren't. That's the truth. I've argued this endlessly with friends. The definition of "well-read" seems to vary as much as the definition of "clean eating."

I am not what I'd consider "well-read."

I said you try to portray yourself as such, not that I thought you were.

Details. Pesky details.

OP, I think You've gotten some good feedback. Many people find that MFP sets their protein/fat too low and their carbs really high. You can alter the ratios, just do what works best for you.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    OP--having fat and protein minimums met is a good thing. If you are low in any MACRO carbs would be the one to be low. If your goal is steady weight loss you are doing fine. The fact that you aren't trying to consume 1200 calories is a great indicator that you aren't being too aggressive with your weight loss. Carry on. Best of Luck.
  • eagleandthecrow
    eagleandthecrow Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

This is helpful.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

This is helpful.

I'm glad you found it helpful, sometimes when threads get a bit derailed like this I'm sure it gets frustrating for someone who just wanted a simple question answered! :laugh:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

This is helpful.

OP, addressing your initial question - don't worry too much about going over a bit on protein or fat...
    Suggested reading:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
  • eagleandthecrow
    eagleandthecrow Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

This is helpful.

I'm glad you found it helpful, sometimes when threads get a bit derailed like this I'm sure it gets frustrating for someone who just wanted a simple question answered! :laugh:

Just a little bit! Ha!

Not a problem though. I find that people are very... opinionated... when it comes to food and diets. Its similar to religion or politics! :laugh:
  • randomworldgirl
    randomworldgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The person who said your brain needs fat was wrong. The brain uses sugar. That's all it can use. Sugar is what fuels the brain.

Why don't you share your extensive knowledge of physiology with me.

Go ahead and use the big words. I'll try to keep up.

I am more interested in your evidence that the brain only uses sugar.
    Go to a library. Pick up a book on Physiology. Read.

You'll learn all you want to know about how the brain uses glucose and how when the body runs out - like if you were starving - it will send messages out to the rest of the body and things will start being converted. The liver and gluconeogensis are particularly fascinating. To me, anyway.

If you're looking for Internet stuff, you'll need to do it on your own. Google. :)

Listen. I realize you mean glucose, but calling it "sugar" isn't exactly helpful. If you find one single scholarly source that says "sugar" my bad.

^This, believe it or not there are several people on this site who are *somewhat* familiar with physiology...

^^This
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Eating high fat won't prevent you from losing weight, but you need to be carefull what kind of fats you eat. Some are good for you , others not too much.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Gluconeogenesis is real.

What's your position on unicorns?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Eating high fat won't prevent you from losing weight, but you need to be carefull what kind of fats you eat. Some are good for you , others not too much.

I'd love to know more about these inherently healthy and inherently unhealthy fats.

Please elaborate.
  • ELizzyKD
    ELizzyKD Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm on a ketogenic diet of 60% fats, 35% proteins, and 5% carbs. It's been working out well for me.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aiHSPoto_YqsNTDvL-g60nytMnyH-CJcCbiAx1IEUYM/edit - Keto in a nutshell.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I'm on a ketogenic diet of 60% fats, 35% proteins, and 5% carbs. It's been working out well for me.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aiHSPoto_YqsNTDvL-g60nytMnyH-CJcCbiAx1IEUYM/edit - Keto in a nutshell.

For how long has it beeing "working out well for" you? What do you mean by "working out well for me"? How do you compare it to other calorie-deficit approaches?
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

tumblr_mqkrq5MEFA1suj7bro1_500.gif
  • ELizzyKD
    ELizzyKD Posts: 19 Member
    Options

For how long has it beeing "working out well for" you? What do you mean by "working out well for me"? How do you compare it to other calorie-deficit approaches?

I've had a lower appetite. I have more energy. I'm still counting my calories and trying to stay under 1500. I've been sticking to the diet. Many, many people have had results from keto. It worked for our ancestors millions of years ago too. As long as I don't stop it, I'll be alright.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You should see how much fat I eat in a day. Fats are good for you. Even better when you do low carb, like I am.
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    MFP is not a substitute for real, medical advice. You should go see your doctor and have him oversee your weight loss journey. You may also get a referral to a nutritionist.

You have to decide if you want to eat all healthy foods or if you just want to lose weight. Is your focus - your primary goal - to be thin or to be healthy? For most, it's to be thin. Know this before you go to the doctor (or nutritionist.) Be honest with them. Don't say you want to eat all healthy food if you don't, in fact, plan to do that.

You need a plan that works for you!

Everyone does it differently, but you need to do what works for you. :)

The person who said your brain needs fat was wrong. The brain uses sugar. That's all it can use. Sugar is what fuels the brain. (That is not an excuse to eat fudge, though. ;)
    :huh: