Hard Boiled Eggs

Options
wannakimmy
wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
OK, what am I doing wrong? I can't peel an egg without it falling apart. I've heard to let them cool before you peel them, I've heard to peel them when warm... Different times to cook them for...

I'm looking for a quick easy snack, eggs seem to be good for this... So, what do you do?

Replies

• lulli69
    lulli69 Posts: 1
    Options
    try adding salt to boil with the eggs.
  • teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Put a piece of kitchen roll on worktop. Roll boiled egg on paper, hard enough to crack the shell all over. Shell will then just peel off.
  • PaulaKac
    PaulaKac Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I put salt in the water. Works for me :-)
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Cover eggs with water,use a lid ,bring to a boil.....then low heat for 5 mins.,turn heat off,Let stand 10 minutes. Drain,then add to bowl of ice water.When cold,try peeling under running water.
  • alg42
    alg42 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    after you have boiled the eggs, run them under cool water before rolling them on kitchen paper on a work surface. Should splinter the shell to allow you to peel it easier.
  • tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I crack the egg, then roll it and it comes off easy :happy:
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Don't use fresh eggs you bought in the store the same day, wait until they have been in the fridge for a week.
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Good tips! Sometimes mine peel perfectly , other times i seem to shred them to hell taking off the shell .
  • TruckerWife922
    Options
    Cover eggs with water,use a lid ,bring to a boil.....then low heat for 5 mins.,turn heat off,Let stand 10 minutes. Drain,then add to bowl of ice water.When cold,try peeling under running water.

This method works best for me too. A friend of mine puts her eggs (still in the shells) in the oven and swears by it (I've not tried it yet). Here are the instructions http://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2012/11/how-to-make-perfect-hard-boiled-eggs-in-the-oven.html
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I just realized when i went to eat a hard boiled egg that i didnt cook it enough. Still too runny inside. Is it ok to reboil them for a few minutes again. Its been a few days since i boiled them the first time
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I usually let mine boil for 20 mins or so. shells come right off.
  • clkenealy
    clkenealy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    try some white vinegar in the water and when cooling in ice and water poke a small hole in the egg
  • tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I don't keep my eggs in the fridge, and I have cooked them in my halogen oven (which I cook everything in) and the come out fine
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Don't use fresh eggs you bought in the store the same day, wait until they have been in the fridge for a week.

This. With fresh eggs, the whites stick to the shell when you peel them. Float them in water if you're unsure how fresh they are. Fresh eggs don't float. Older eggs will have one end floating up to the surface. :smile:
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Older eggs are easier to peel, fresh eggs are a PITA to peel.

I bake my eggs instead of boiling them, works better for me.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I heard about (and tried) this:

Gently crack the egg

Submerge into water

Leave for several minutes

Shell comes off easily

It worked - it is strange, however, that when I make H.B. eggs, some shells pop right off and others (from the same batch) don't...
  • chopsart
    chopsart Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Ugg! Peeling eggs is one of my pet peeves.

I viewed some videos demonstrating egg peeling multiple eggs in 10 seconds. I have tried it and it works! Basically, after cooking the eggs, place eggs back in the pan with a little water, cover, and shake the pan like mad. The shells fall off.

Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upB6iNChSz0
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, will try something different next time... salt maybe....
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    You can also try using a spoon to peel. It seems older eggs peel better than fresher eggs too. I find it easier if they are cooled in the fridge overnight. Also you can try running water over them as you peel them.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I had this problem too, so I started scrambling them instead.