Nerds Unite!

Options
1151617181921»

Replies

• Brodybee
    Brodybee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, i'm Kristin. I'm 28 and a nerd....i play video games, d&d, go to ren faires and read almost non stop. not really sure how much i have to lose since i found out my frame size i think my original goal was too low, so now we'll just see when i get to my happy place.
  • MaraOfNaamah
    MaraOfNaamah Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Any Nerds going to Gencon Indy this year :O? I think I will be going for all four days! I can not wait.

I am going!! I can't wait! Only 36 more days!! My husband and I will be going for all 4 days, getting into Indy on Wednesday night, so we are ready for gaming Thursday morning!! I'm sad though, as 'Hansel & Gretel & The Sugar Shack That Cthulhu Built' (Cthulhu Dark, 1st Edition) and ' Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga' (Dungeons & Dragons, Advanced 1st Edition ) were both filled by the time we were able to register (45 minutes into registration). :smile:
  • ImprovedRJ
    Options
    Hey guys! My name is RJ and like everyone here, I'm a nerd too..... well not as big as I use to be lol. I play a lot of video games, but leaning towards the horror genre because of one of my favorite YouTuber Markiplier haha. Currently for the summer, I have been playing the third generation Pokemon games again, and going back on to play MTG. I also watch anime from time to time, currently catching up on Toaru Majitsu no Index 2 haha. I also speak a little bit of Japanese too :D
  • Jenny_57
    Jenny_57 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi! Jenny here, fan of scifi since Star Wars originally hit theaters. Apparently at age 6, I insisted mom keep taking me back to see it, at least 9 times. I've got the Burger Chef posters on the wall, a TARDIS on my desk at work, posters and autographed pictures adoring several walls of my house, and about a dozen action figures.

I'm a huge tv-movie-book fan, liking anything from GoT, Red Dwarf, Stargate, Buffy, Doctor Who, Luther, Shaun of the Dead, X-Men, Indiana Jones, Asimov, Bradbury, Arthur C Clark...I could go on, but I think you get the idea. I love going to conventions. We just started getting Wizard World CC in St Louis last year, which is extremely helpful since I don't have to fly all over the country to see actors and buy stuff.

Strictly for conventions, I've been to Phoenix, Minneapolis, St Petersburg FL, Lansing, Tampa, Orlando, LA, Chicago, Vancouver BC, Memphis, Baltimore, Cleveland and twice to Birmingham, England. I have finally seen in person all of the original Star Trek actors.

I prefer geek to nerd, but yeah, I'm a geek.
    Jenny
  • delirious_vixen
    delirious_vixen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Courtney and I'm a proud nerd. I enjoy watching (and re-watching) Doctor Who and Sherlock excessively and have many attempts to try to cosplay as characters. With low funds, however, I usually go to Goodwill and try to get as close to the original as possible. I enjoy video games, namely Bioshock and the Arkham series, though I have an absolute adoration for the game Catherine. I also admit a deep love for LOTR and The Hobbit and plan to see the third installment this year, the day of if possible.

Out of all my enjoyments, I would have to say that Doctor Who and Bioshock are the biggest ones. My room is filled with tiny to medium Tardises (Tardisi? Tardiss?), I have a grand encyclopedia of Doctor Who, and cannot begin to describe the amount of t-shirts. Bioshock was my first ever video game I truly got into and that made me cry at the end. I hope one day to get more memorable. If you would kindly, direct me somewhere to get it!

My goal here is to tone my body up. I've always been a bit of a pixie-type girl, but I want to be more fit than petite! With this, I hope that it helps to lower my calorie intake while also showing just how much my cardio can help improve my body! I hope all my fellow nerds (or geeks, depending on preference) enjoy their time with everyone too.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    "Tears stream ... down your face... I promise you.... I will learn from my mistakes."

Here are a few tips that I found to work for me:
    1. Make MFP your home page
    2. Log in EVERYDAY, read the message boards post.. Keep your mind actively thinking about it.
    3. Don't try to change too much at once, Implement 1 change every week or so. Little tweeks over time seem to work best or at least better than butt load of change all at once
    4. Always be honest. We all fall on our way to the top, be honest, no one is judging you here... we all support eachother
    5. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you (It took me a while to find my plan and it works great for me but I wouldn't push it on anyone else)
    6. It's easier to lift weights than the burdens of carrying weight.
    7. Take it one day at a time.
    8. Have a cheat day or meal, where you eat what you want
    9. Try to talk to yourself as if you are talking to your child or loved one. Often times the thing we need most is to be a better friend to ourselves.
    10. Smile
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Can't....remember....if....posted...*save* *fairyhearts*

Will comb through awesomeness later tonight.
  • nerdfitquest
    nerdfitquest Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    So many awesome people in this thread!
  • wrmon81
    wrmon81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    THIS is the post I need to make new friends and keep each other motivated. Especially if some people are somewhere around here (TX anyone?)

- Biology Student from Europe
    - PC gamer
    - Love studying languages
    - Enjoy Anime & Manga
    - Unhealthy amount of hilarious drunk stories

Last point being one of the reasons I am trying to get healthier ^^.

Add me up, be motivated, and ready for some mutual support. Thanks OP for making this thread :glasses:
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Nerdy 29 year old Texan here with 15 pounds to lose.

My favorite reading materials are research papers and I have been up all night brooding over my pet peeve: anecdotal evidence.
  • d4rkkn16ht
    d4rkkn16ht Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm a proud nerd here :)
    I love playing games including Android,PC (semi retired), Wii, cards, boards, etc ... :heart:
    I also love anime & manga (Dragon Ball, Tekken Chinmi, Full Metal Alchemist, etc.).
    For physical activities I love martial arts specially Jiujitsu (the original one) & Kungfu.
    Right now I do Boxing @ gym.

I'm glad that many nerds like me thinks of health seriously :drinker:
    My goal right now is to get my ideal weight (69 Kg) & Six Packs :heart:
    Feel free to add me as friends guys :wink:

Note:
    I forgot that I also LOVE SUPERMAN :bigsmile:
  • Odwaroftorn
    Odwaroftorn Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I searched for D&D to find some like minded people out there and wanted to share another group I found. An rpg group called "Wasteland Warriors Weight Loss Challenge." Each week there is a main Quest and several side quests.

The main quest is centered around a story (you must help someone retrieve a locket from her mother from the mutant that killed her. Walk/run six miles to the city and figt the mutant, fighting is done by burning calories.) At the end you get xps and can level up, not to mention finding tresure, items, weapons, armor. But beware! If you lose a random encounter, instead of gaining loot, you have to do push ups/ sit ups/ etc.

Join the quest and send me a shout out when you do. As a bonus, there are weekly weigh ins and people gain prizes and glorious titles to be earned.
  • WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Amber, I'm 25 and live in Louisiana. I have been a nerd all my life! During recess my friends and I used to role play all the shows that used to come on Toonami. Anime, comics, fantasy, books, etc. I became a Potter Head in the 4th grade and did dress up as a Gryffindor student for the last movie. I recently became a Whovian a year ago and became so entrapped and passionate about it that I have a DW sleeve in the works. I met Matt Smith when he came to New Orleans Comic Con this past year and I'm currently working my way through the classics.

I've been on my weightloss journey since summer 2011 and have lost 42 lbs so far. I am looking for like minded friends so we can motivate each other while also understanding our nerdy moments! Feel free to add me! :)

P.S., here are 2 of my favorite moments of 2014!!
    PhotoGrid_1406066578709.jpg

IMG_20140610_221201.jpg
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lt7v3hkdWo1qb6t6wo1_400.jpg