EXERCISING DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN EAT UNHEALTHY!!

Options

Replies

• beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options

Exactly how many decoder rings did I miss today?

Thank god I'm not the only one who thought this:)
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Oh, I guess I'll regain my 100 lbs and try your way.

eating 'healthy' is subjective
  • lbpears
    lbpears Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    OP, people are taking issue with your word choice, but I knew what you meant! And I totally agree. I have finally decided to stop trying to out-train my diet.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    .... and IN awaiting the different factions to arrive and set up their tissue box forts and throw water bombs at each other.

FWIW...

if you mean exercise and eat all foods in moderation to lose weight and stay that way - yay I agree.

if you mean nibble celery sticks and eat zucchini spaghetti and train harder than the day is long is the only way to lose weight - then no I disagree. People need to stop demonizing food.
  • bregrig
    bregrig Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You gained 40 pounds training for a marathon? I'm sorry, but your appetite got way (seriously way way) out of control. That in no way proves most people can't eat some pizza.

Haha well obviously. Thus while I'm here
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    No offense OP but in your example it sounded like you weren't actually tracking your calories.

I have to disagree with you that if you ARE tracking your calories then yes of course you can eat "unhealthily" if by "unhealthily" you mean some pizza now and again provided you are tracking your calories and staying within your goal based on your exercise burn.

You can, in fact, exercise your way into having an extra slice of pizza if your goal is weight loss or maintenance. Does anyone actually dispute that? Or are you just saying that for you personally that wasn't a good approach? If you are trying to make this a general statement about how that approach doesn't work for anyone then I think you are taking your personal experience and applying it more broadly than I think is justified.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    You gained 40 pounds training for a marathon? I'm sorry, but your appetite got way (seriously way way) out of control. That in no way proves most people can't eat some pizza.

Haha well obviously. Thus while I'm here

See. I'm a giver.
  • bregrig
    Options
    Oh, I guess I'll regain my 100 lbs and try your way.

eating 'healthy' is subjective

No need for the hate, just worded it differently than I intended. Apologies for the miscommunication. Geesh didn't mean to offend anyone!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Welcome, and I absolutely love your energy! :smile:

I see where you are coming from, and what you are saying is sensible, but most of it is simply not true. First of all, weight loss is about calories in/calories out. Eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight every single time. You can eat whatever you want as long as you stay under your calorie goal. That's simply science.
    Four years ago I decided to train for and run a marathon. I had been in excellent shape at that point, running 6 miles daily with regular boxing and weight training workouts. I also was very VERY strict with what I was putting in my mouth, only allowing myself unhealthy items 5-10% of the time. I weighed 131 pounds when I started training for the marathon. 5 months later on the day of the race, I weighed 170 pounds. I had GAINED 40 pounds in 5 months from eating whatever I wanted. I dumbly thought that 'wow, I am running 40+ miles a week, I must be burning a ton of calories so yay pizza!!'
    That's the hard way of learning. :smile: I'll bet now you know that if you run that marathon and want to eat pizza, you need to know (1) what your calorie allowance is to maintain your weight, or to lose it if that is your goal, (2) an accurate account of how many calories you burned in that run, (3) exactly how many calories that yummy pizza had, (4) exactly how many calories you have eaten by the time you get to that pizza. That's what I and numerous other successful weight loss people do- we track our calories and exercise so that we can eat what we want. It's okay to work those treats in as long as they fit into your calorie goal.

I'm also a bit confused about the part of putting on 40 pounds in 5 months while training for a marathon, especially since you said you are so healthy. No offense intended, but couldn't you feel yourself gaining weight and realize that something was wrong with your plan? That perhaps you were eating way more calories than you were burning?
    To put this into perspective, someone that is around 150 pounds burns about roughly 300-350 calories in 30 minutes of running (10 min/mile). In a large slice of cheese pizza there is about the same amount of calories. It takes me maybe 5-10 minutes to eat a slice of pizza. Right there takes away your exercise deficit. It is SO EASY to overeat when we regularly workout because a) we think we burn more calories during our workouts than we actually do and b) we are hungrier when we are more active! at least I am :)
    Oh, gosh those calories burned is a generalization and overestimation. I'm 139 pounds now, but when I was 150 I did not burn that many calories running in a half hour. I calculate all my cardio burns via a heart rate monitor, which is not 100% accurate but close enough to where I get the results I want.
    Just remember that abs are built in the kitchen :) exercise is only 20% of weight loss... it is actually monitoring what we put in our bellys that we will see the best results, and especially not negative results! Regular exercise is not an excuse for poor eating (what I have done my whole life). Is this something you all struggle with? Let's conquer the hunger with nutritious foods and see amazing results from our hard-earned workouts!!
    Abs are indeed built in the kitchen, but exercise is zero percent of weight loss. While exercise has its benefits, it is 100% not necessary to weight loss. Many people hate to exercise and lose weight successfully. I, however, LOVE running and weight lifting and do both, as well as incorporate other exercise into my fitness routine. Exercise makes me feel so good, so strong, but I I could have lost weight without it.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Most weight I ever lost over a short period of time was done while eating about 2700 calories per day of nothing but 60% fat salami, cheese, granola, bread, salty beef jerky, dried fruit, nuts, candy bars, hard candies, processed chili mac and beef pre-prepared dinners. Salt content was through the damn roof and almost everything was "processed".

Lost about 10 pounds in 14 days. Of course I was exercising a bit.
  • bregrig
    Options
    No offense OP but in your example it sounded like you weren't actually tracking your calories.

I have to disagree with you that if you ARE tracking your calories then yes of course you can eat "unhealthily" if by "unhealthily" you mean some pizza now and again provided you are tracking your calories and staying within your goal based on your exercise burn.

You can, in fact, exercise your way into having an extra slice of pizza if your goal is weight loss or maintenance. Does anyone actually dispute that? Or are you just saying that for you personally that wasn't a good approach? If you are trying to make this a general statement about how that approach doesn't work for anyone then I think you are taking your personal experience and applying it more broadly than I think is justified.

For me I wasn't tracking any calories because I was justifying my training as a way to eliminate the calories I would be binging. Not a general statement for all. But I know many people also have that same downfall where they start to exercise and allow themselves to eat whatever (not tracking calories) and obviously that can lead to weight gain like it did for me.
  • btc1987
    btc1987 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    People are selectively reading and getting offended.

You can out exercise your calories as long as you know what you're taking in, though.
  • bregrig
    Options
    Most weight I ever lost over a short period of time was done while eating about 2700 calories per day of nothing but 60% fat salami, cheese, granola, bread, salty beef jerky, dried fruit, nuts, candy bars, hard candies, processed chili mac and beef pre-prepared dinners. Salt content was through the damn roof and almost everything was "processed".

I'm not able to do that because my metabolic rate isn't that high and I have prehypertension :(
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I went to a self-help seminar and one of the things said that has stuck with me is "loosing weight is easy, everyone knows how to do it and only people who are deluded looking for a quick fix don't. The simple answer is to stop stuffing your face, and to start moving more, its a no brainer. The problem is that most people think that "hey I worked out, I deserve to eat a cookie, I earned it" but the point of working out wasn't to eat a cookie, it was to get fit, to loose fat, to shape up. This is why most people fail at loosing weight. They eat healthy monday through friday work out 3 days a week and then when the weekend comes the binge out and the next week when they found out they didn't loose any weight they get demotivated and quit. It's this whole entitlement culture, people believe that just because they did something that they deserve a reward a gold star when the point is to build a new lifestyle one that will stick with you for the rest of your life."
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

You can out exercise your calories as long as you know what you're taking in, though.

Yeah, that is all I was saying.

I mean I think the TRUE lesson here is if you don't track your calories and you are someone who is prone to overeating you are setting yourself up for weight gain regardless of how "healthy" your food is or how much you exercise.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    No, that's not what is going on here. :wink:

People are trying to clarify.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

I'm not able to do that because my metabolic rate isn't that high and I have prehypertension :(

My metabolic rate is not "high" and if you were honestly planning on running a marathon then you clearly can do long term endurance style exercise.

During that time I was hiking 16 miles a day with a 40 pound pack through rough terrain so my TDEE was probably around 6000.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Yeah, that is all I was saying.

I mean I think the TRUE lesson here is if you don't track your calories and you are someone who is prone to overeating you are setting yourself up for weight gain regardless of how "healthy" your food is or how much you exercise.
    I agree.
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bregrig
    Options
    Welcome, and I absolutely love your energy! :smile:

I see where you are coming from, and what you are saying is sensible, but most of it is simply not true. First of all, weight loss is about calories in/calories out. Eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight every single time. You can eat whatever you want as long as you stay under your calorie goal. That's simply science.
    Four years ago I decided to train for and run a marathon. I had been in excellent shape at that point, running 6 miles daily with regular boxing and weight training workouts. I also was very VERY strict with what I was putting in my mouth, only allowing myself unhealthy items 5-10% of the time. I weighed 131 pounds when I started training for the marathon. 5 months later on the day of the race, I weighed 170 pounds. I had GAINED 40 pounds in 5 months from eating whatever I wanted. I dumbly thought that 'wow, I am running 40+ miles a week, I must be burning a ton of calories so yay pizza!!'
    That's the hard way of learning. :smile: I'll bet now you know that if you run that marathon and want to eat pizza, you need to know (1) what your calorie allowance is to maintain your weight, or to lose it if that is your goal, (2) an accurate account of how many calories you burned in that run, (3) exactly how many calories that yummy pizza had, (4) exactly how many calories you have eaten by the time you get to that pizza. That's what I and numerous other successful weight loss people do- we track our calories and exercise so that we can eat what we want. It's okay to work those treats in as long as they fit into your calorie goal.

I'm also a bit confused about the part of putting on 40 pounds in 5 months while training for a marathon, especially since you said you are so healthy. No offense intended, but couldn't you feel yourself gaining weight and realize that something was wrong with your plan? That perhaps you were eating way more calories than you were burning?
    To put this into perspective, someone that is around 150 pounds burns about roughly 300-350 calories in 30 minutes of running (10 min/mile). In a large slice of cheese pizza there is about the same amount of calories. It takes me maybe 5-10 minutes to eat a slice of pizza. Right there takes away your exercise deficit. It is SO EASY to overeat when we regularly workout because a) we think we burn more calories during our workouts than we actually do and b) we are hungrier when we are more active! at least I am :)
    Oh, gosh those calories burned is a generalization and overestimation. I'm 139 pounds now, but when I was 150 I did not burn that many calories running in a half hour. I calculate all my cardio burns via a heart rate monitor, which is not 100% accurate but close enough to where I get the results I want.
    Just remember that abs are built in the kitchen :) exercise is only 20% of weight loss... it is actually monitoring what we put in our bellys that we will see the best results, and especially not negative results! Regular exercise is not an excuse for poor eating (what I have done my whole life). Is this something you all struggle with? Let's conquer the hunger with nutritious foods and see amazing results from our hard-earned workouts!!
    Abs are indeed built in the kitchen, but exercise is zero percent of weight loss. While exercise has its benefits, it is 100% not necessary to weight loss. Many people hate to exercise and lose weight successfully. I, however, LOVE running and weight lifting and do both, as well as incorporate other exercise into my fitness routine. Exercise makes me feel so good, so strong, but I I could have lost weight without it.

1) thanks for the feedback!
    2) I do believe you can be thin without exercise, but it also aides in weight loss... more muscle burns more calories at rest, that's also science. muscle takes energy to maintain, therefore when we have more muscle, we expend more energy at rest.
    3) why would you want to eat whatever you want and still be thin but have so many other health problems?
    4) and yes I was very fit before my marathon training but running for 3 hours made me starving, I never felt that need to binge like I did then. It went downhill and became a problem. that's why I'm here.
    5) agreed calories are a generalization. that is what I burned usually at that pace at that weight. thanks for clarifying though :)