need ideas for a potluck - using a secret ingredient

Options

Replies

• michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I make a homemade coleslaw:
    Ingredients
    Bag of Cole slaw - I usually get big bag at Sam's Club or two small store bags
    1/2 tsp seasoning salt
    1/2-1 tsp garlic powder
    2 Tbsp sugar or sweetener of choice
    1 cup of mayonnaise (Use light mayo for lower cal Cole Slaw!)
    1/2 cup sour cream (Use lowfat for lower cal version-just as good)
    Italian Dressing - I usually pour in a good amount (in place of vinegar)

Secret ingredient: 1 tablespoon of horseradish - gives a nice zing!

Directions - Mix all well and refrigerate. Enjoy,
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    I have the best meatball recipe with a "secret" ingredient.

Bag of frozen meatballs, turkey or beef (or homemade even)
    Brown in frying pan
    add to crock pot
    one large jug of Pace Picante salsa
    1 large jar of grape jelly (secret ingredient)
    Cook 4-5 hours on high in crock pot, or 6-8 hours on low

They are really good, super easy and people always request them at every party/potluck I go to.

Jelly is put in almost all our steamers, meatballs or wieners here in my part of MD. SO GOOD!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I have a great one, but you need a blender. Freeze fresh watermelon in small chunks. Then you use a cup of frozen watermelon and juice of half a lemon with 4 packets of stevia and about 2/3 to one cup of watermelon. Slushie watermelon lemonade! It is soo good. The kids love it. Use a big blender. I did it with a small bullet blender and was at the blender all day! LOL. Have fun!
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Zucchini bread.
    Peel the squash before you shred it and no one will have any idea it's there.
  • starznholes
    starznholes Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have the best meatball recipe with a "secret" ingredient.

Bag of frozen meatballs, turkey or beef (or homemade even)
    Brown in frying pan
    add to crock pot
    one large jug of Pace Picante salsa
    1 large jar of grape jelly (secret ingredient)
    Cook 4-5 hours on high in crock pot, or 6-8 hours on low

They are really good, super easy and people always request them at every party/potluck I go to.

Jelly is put in almost all our steamers, meatballs or wieners here in my part of MD. SO GOOD!

My old boss gave me this recipe years ago and I live by it. Yummm, I should try it with those little Smokey wieners. (or whatever they're called). :laugh:
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    make a crockpot soup with parsnip and daikon instead of potato. Use chick pea flour to make brownies

http://www.luculliandelights.com/2009/02/chocolate-brownies-with-chickpea-flour-and-hazelnuts-gluten-free.html

you need a food scale to measure the ingredients-they are awesome and we have never told anyone they aren't wheat.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,207 Member
    Options
    THanks for all the suggestions! I wish I could make a dessert - I would have no problem finding something. Love the soup ideas, but since its a potluck, might be harder to bring, and then I would need to bring soup dishes. Also love the potato/califlower dish!

Thinking of the meatballs! Thanks so much you guys. If anyone else has more ideas, love to hear of them. I don't have to decide until thursday!
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I make an awesome pesto sauce with spinach and cashews. You need a vitamix or powerful blender. Instead of adding oil I thin it down with water. Add garlic and seasonings to taste. I then add a bit of a blended shredded cheese of equal parts romano/parmasan/asiago cheeses. It has been successfully served to many people who are surprised that they like it when they claim to hate spinach. If you need a precise recipe send me a message. I don't have the recipe with me at the moment but it is in my electronic recipe files at home. If you are comfortable using your own taste buds as a guide I am certain you can work with the info I provided but I am happy to provide detailed measurements if needed.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    If you have an Asian market nearby, you could try a fish dish using perilla--"Shiso" in Japanese, also called "ooba". It's actually pretty common in Japanese cooking but most people don't even know it exists.
  • LizELopez
    LizELopez Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/06/18/cauliflower-chocolate-cake/

Crazy Ingredient Chocolate Cake (cauliflower )

(can be oil-free)

A Healthy Dessert Recipe.
    ◾3/4 cup spelt flour or white flour or Arrowhead Mills gf (120g)
    ◾1/2 tsp baking soda
    ◾1/2 tsp salt
    ◾1 tsp baking powder
    ◾1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (20g)
    ◾2 tsp ener-g powder, or 2 tbsp ground flax. You can omit; the cake just won’t rise as much.
    ◾1/3 cup xylitol or sugar (64g)
    ◾1/8 tsp uncut stevia or 4 nunaturals packets (or 1/4 cup more sugar)
    ◾1/2 to 1 cup mini chocolate chips (60-120g) (Do not omit. The recipe just won’t be the same if you do.)
    ◾1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
    ◾2 loosely-packed cups frozen cauliflower, thawed completely but not cooked (250g) (Or omit and sub 1 cup canned pumpkin, if cauliflower is too weird for you. I might even like the pumpkin version better!)
    ◾1/2 cup milk of choice. For pumpkin version, use just 1/3 cup milk (or 1/2 cup if omitting oil).
    ◾3 tbsp oil (or omit and increase milk to scant 2/3 cup, for a lower-fat option)

Preheat oven to 350F, and grease an 8×8 square baking dish. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl, and mix very well. Combine all liquid ingredients and the cauliflower in a food processor and blend until super-smooth, so there are NO lumps whatsoever. (See nutrition link below, for an option if you don’t have a food processor.) Pour wet into dry, and mix until just combined, then pour into prepared pan and bake 30 minutes. (Or you can try my super-gooey way: bake only 14 minutes and then leave uncovered in the fridge overnight, and it’ll firm up and turn out like fudge! Not everyone likes this undercooked texture; I wouldn’t serve my gooey version to anyone but me!) Let cool completely. After a day, this cake is best stored in the fridge.

Based on 9 big squares:
    ◾Calories: 120
    ◾Fat: 2.5g
    ◾Carbs: 25g
    ◾Fiber: 4g
    ◾Protein: 3.5g
    ◾ww points (new system): 3 points
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    It's always fun to hide things in mac 'n' cheese. Try one of these!

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/meal-ideas/31-days-delicious-fall-recipes/dreamy-butternut-squash-mac-n-cheese

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/mac-n-cheese-n-spin-occolini-bake-recipe.html

https://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/lighter-zestier-mac-cheese-summer-172700487.html

(Hidden ingredients: a) butternut squash, b) spinach and broccolini, c) lemon zest and peas! Okay, so maybe the peas and the broccolini aren't exactly "hidden", but they're definitely a surprise!)

Enjoy!
  • rockstrong
    rockstrong Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    that salsa sounds perfect, I'd make that.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    tortellini in a cream sauce.

Use a good slosh of Jim Beam in the sauce and some black mustard seeds, garlic, chives, cooking cream, cheese (either parmesan or a sharp cheddar) bacon, broccoli, onion.

hidden ingredient Jim Beam.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I was going to add: Avocado chocolate pudding or mousse, but many already have done so. I guess you need savory recipes anyways...

How about...
    -chocolate in some chili (Mexican style)
    -cauliflower hummus (instead of chickpeas) - Actually, cauliflower can 'stand-in' for lots of things...
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,637 Member
    Options
    Coca cola chicken tastes like teriyaki:

Brown some chicken pieces (I use thighs) with some garlic and onion. Toss in a small can of regular coke (not diet) with several lashings of soy sauce. Simmer uncovered for about 25 minutes uncovered. In the last few minutes of cooking turn up the heat to a rolling boil so that the sauce reduces into a caramelized mass. Once reduced, be careful not to let it burn.
  • ogradycm1
    ogradycm1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Beetroot chocolate cake has been a hit for me in the past - my friends were totally shocked to find out it had a vegetable ingredient! :smile:
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm no help but you've had some awesome ideas given here!

Bumping to try some out sometime
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    CASHEWS! You can use these in so many ways!

Go to 'Amy Layne's' website and you'll find lots of recipes there.
    Her recipes are 'raw' and use lots of 'secret' ingredients

Also, how about Nutritional Yeast - that subs in for cheesy flavor to dishes
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    make brownies....just put some "herbs" in it as the secret ingredient.....everything else will taste amazing too.

Make mashed potatoes but put mayonnaise in them. Trust me....they'll change your world.
  • RToland45
    RToland45 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: