Are you losing weight to feel more attractive?

Options
Just curious, it's a bit of a taboo subject, a lot of people say it's to "get healthy" but some also want to feel more attractive. Which category are you in?

Replies

• Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Both, for me, not anyone else.
  • DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Came for vanity, stayed for health :)
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It's not my main drive for losing weight, but it does play a factor.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a factor. But mostly for heath reasons this time around, which is why I'm approaching it better.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I've tried to lose weight for vanity a lot of time and always failed in the end.
    This time I want to lose weight so I can have kids (I'm not infertile or anything I just want to make sure I'm fit for pregnancy when I do it, I also want to model healthy behaviour for my family). It is a much more inspiring motivation but on bad days it also helps to think about being able to wear nice clothes one day.
  • Alatariel2002
    Alatariel2002 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for me losing weight will not make me attractive, so for me it is more about trying to be healthier. :)
  • DebinMelbourne
    DebinMelbourne Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna lie; one motivation is certainly vanity. But I think my main motivation is comfort. I just hated the discomfort of being overweight: thigh-chafing, squishing behind the steering wheel, boob sweat, etc.

But yes, I believe I look better when I'm not overweight.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Primarily vanity, yes.

I've had an alcohol problem and had to go cold turkey in order to lose weight. Cutting out the booze is definitely a health choice - for my life and well being as well.

But going down to 1300 cals is purely to lose the extra weight I gained last year. I've always eaten fairly healthy, I just overate for a shorter period of time. I'm not overweight according to my BMI either, so it's just to be "society thin".
  • _Clarana_
    _Clarana_ Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Attractive, definitely. The health benefits that come with it motivate me to keep going.
  • fe2o3girl
    fe2o3girl Posts: 14
    Options
    I felt horrible at 5'3" and 212lbs so my primary reason for reducing my weight was for health and fitness reasons. I honestly couldn't care less what dress size I wear if I could run 5K in 30 minutes.

However, now I have lost 34lbs I think I look better, but more importantly I feel much better!
  • Rubyew
    Rubyew Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I will almost certainly feel more confident when I weigh less (it is starting already) and personally I think the more self confidence you have the more attractive you are. Not to say over confident, loud people are attractive of course. I feel better when my self confidence is higher, which means I smile more and probably listen and tune into other people more, this I believe to be more attractive.

Does that make sense...? I am sure I could have said it in less words. :)
  • Salvi30
    Salvi30 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've tried to lose weight for vanity a lot of time and always failed in the end.
    This time I want to lose weight so I can have kids (I'm not infertile or anything I just want to make sure I'm fit for pregnancy when I do it, I also want to model healthy behaviour for my family). It is a much more inspiring motivation but on bad days it also helps to think about being able to wear nice clothes one day.

I agree with you 100% :)
  • derik999
    derik999 Posts: 73
    Options
    Health and self-esteem. Not overly surprising. :)
  • kate_19o
    kate_19o Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'd say its more for increased self-esteem and confidence rather than vanity.
  • Niecytwentyfive
    Niecytwentyfive Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    To look attractive! Of course there are other wonderful benefits that come along with it. :flowerforyou:
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    At the moment it is self-esteem and health. When I get to my goal (the higher end of healthy bmi for my height) if I continue to lose it will be more vanity I guess. Planning to see how I feel when I eventually get there.
  • Jenniwren83
    Jenniwren83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    :blushing: It's both for me but one of the main triggers for me to start was that I was down to 2 outfits for work that I didn't hate how I looked in them. I wasn't happy but i didn't hate it. Working in an office with only 2 outfits is not great. I was having to wash my clothes every day so I could keep wearing those 2! I just want to be healthier but also look better. When I'm carrying more weight I have much less confidence, even 8lbs in to a 30lb target for loss I already feel more confident so I can't wait to find out how I feel when i reach my goal!
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Came for vanity, stayed for health :)

This^^^^ however i DO feel more attractive to myself.
  • DJ7203
    DJ7203 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I want to look amazing naked. The health benefits are great as well. But I would be lying if I said the way my body looks is my biggest reason :happy:
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'd say its more for increased self-esteem and confidence rather than vanity.

this for me to. i want to look good