Are you losing weight to feel more attractive?

Options

Replies

• phil4v7
    phil4v7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Both for me. I want to be healthy enough to chase away the boys that get out of line when my daughters get to be teenagers, healthy enough to see all my kids grow into adults, and healthy enough to play with the grand-kids (way) down the line. I probably wasn't going to be around to see all of those things with the path I was on. I'd also like to be able to look at a photo of me or look in the mirror and see something besides the fat. The vanity aspect is mostly for me as I'm not really aiming to impress others, but it certainly wouldn't be unwelcome either.
  • Cheekies_
    Cheekies_ Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Well now, my health is the reason I started and feeling more attractive keeps me motivated. So both! :smile:
  • betty_2010
    betty_2010 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    both but mainly to be be more attractive and look better in clothes etc....
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Kevin Spacey had a line in American Beauty that went something like "I want to look good naked". I think that's a pretty good reason, lol.

It doesn't end well for him.
    And his name is Lester.
    And he's 42 at the end of the movie.

(i may have a thing here)
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Horrible dodgy genetics that means I KNOW the ache in my hips some days is osteoarthritis. Already. At 25. Combine this with a high-impact sport (figure skating).

My mother is 51. Next week she will have a hip replacement. She had a knee replacement last year. The doctors told her nearly two decades ago that she had to lose weight to help her hips. By the time she took them seriously, it was too late. She was locked in a vicious cycle of being unable to exercise because she was in too much pain and her increasing weight putting further stress on her joints.

I want to skate for as long as I can. I want to avoid having that conversation with the doctor where he utters the word, "osteoarthritis". The car goes where the eyes go, and I am not ready to turn my car in that direction just yet. But to do that, I need to remove as much pressure off my hip joints as I can. And that means shedding some serious kilograms.

Also, I ain't never seen a fat 100kg+ *kitten* haul itself around in a single Axel.
  • xjeanie
    xjeanie Posts: 69
    Options
    It's not the main reason, but it is definitely a driving factor.
  • Siigh_duck
    Siigh_duck Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Came for vanity, stayed for health :)

Took the words right out of my mouth :smile: :smile:
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Heart disease in my family and I just turned 50. My knees and back started aching too and I started not being able to do some of the things I wanted to because I just didn't have the energy. Looking better is a bonus, but not the reason.
  • RToland45
    RToland45 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Three reasons motivated me:
    healthy!
    look more attractive:)
    can't afford to by a new wardrobe!
  • crystalblair2355
    crystalblair2355 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    IM losing weight so i can become healthier... but also and primarily for gaining my self esteem and self confidence back
    I am at the biggest ive been in my life and alot of the gain has been because of life events that have taken place in the last 3 years and because of the way my job is and it being easier to just grab fast food and go!!
    ive been using herbalife for 2 1/2 months lost 15 lbs so far and TONS of inches~~~ I have changed my eating habits and am working out atleast 3 days a week
    still trying to figure out my calorie intake tho
  • carolinetayloruk
    carolinetayloruk Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm losing it to look good. Simple as. There are other reasons but this is my primary goal
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Well I started this so I would look good, so yes vanity. Now that I'm in, it's more about being strong and healthy and feeling good. I don't know when it shifted, but I'm glad it did.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Only health, at least at the moment. I was never a Picasso when I was 200 lbs. There's probably a comfort factor as well, but even that is based in practicality (it would be nice and comfy to wear skirts in summer without having to wear hose or shorts underneath to prevent chafing).

I've never been interested in clothes. My usual look is scruffy and I'm well aware that any interest in new clothes will be a passing novelty.

When I hit my goal, I'll probably switch to improving muscle and working to support my joints.
  • KatieLK14
    KatieLK14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yes and no- I want to be healthier. I do want to look more attractive sure but its for my own benefit, not for anyone else. I've had ridiculously low self image since I was probably ten years old, I'm getting healthier and learning to appreciate myself more.
  • DevSanchez
    DevSanchez Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Came for vanity, stayed for health :)

^ LOVE this!
  • Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    My friend is getting married in a couple months so that jump started me. Although that was just one factor out of many! I had to get to where I was fed up with my lifestyle before I really decided to change it. However being more attractive also drives me too!
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's primarily healthy reasons, but vanity does play a small roll. As I lose weight I feel more confident and sexy, and can fit into sexier clothes (which I like.) There is nothing attractive about loose skin however, an inevitable result of significant weight loss. But the health benefits, both physically and mentally, make up for it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Honestly for me that was never the biggest part of it. When I first started it was concern about health and then it was more about my lifestyle (healthy eating, lots of activity) and the way that I felt (energetic & great) not matching the way I LOOKED or the number on the scale. I like that now people assume I eat healthier foods & am capable of hiking difficult terrain. In the past, I think I was usually taken for someone who would rather have a pitcher of daiquiris, and watch Real Housewives on the sofa...even though I wasn't. So I wanted my outside to match.

Anyway, I have always felt the same level of attractiveness. I am quite modest and not the "hot" type nor do I wish to be, I would rather just be attractive to my husband and keep the "hot" stuff for behind closed doors.

For me, the best part of losing weight has been the ability to just feel normal, fitting into booths and seats and rides easily...wearing dresses or well fitting jeans/pants without a bunch of cardigans and distracting accessories and standing tall without fidgeting with my clothes/body out of self-consciousness. I am sure that makes me seem a lot more confident and therefore more attractive.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i'm losing weight as i developed hypertension and type 2 diabetes, and i really don't want to take medication.

i'd love to be more attractive, but that wasn't enough motivation to get me where i am now - health is. also sagging skin is appearing on my neck and a little my face as i lose weight, so my appearance isn't going to be improved :(
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Yes and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I let my body get "fat" (fat is relative to the person calling themselves fat. I only need to lose about 50 lbs.) and I'm sick of myself for holding on to it for almost 10 years already.

I've always been kinda fit without being a nazi about it. But I have to get nazi about it now becasue my way isn't working. I don't look good with excess weight on my body. I have no real prounounced waist line so I turn into an apple with a bubble *kitten* and hardly any chest. I'm built like an athlete and I want to be that again.

Yes, I want to be attractive again. Yes, it's about vanity for the first time. Also, I want to be strong and that's why I'm lifting too. Well, "lifting;" it's been a while.