Pro Tip for outdoor running:

Do NOT take your German Shepard (5 mo old) with you on your first outdoor run. When he realizes you're a weak suck and slow runner he will just walk beside you while you die jogging making you feel completely out of shape and pathetic.

Note: I usually run/jog on the treadmill where I don't have to think. Running outdoors and trying to find the right pace was more difficult than I expected.

I do plan on trying more outdoor running- any advice for next time?

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Couch to 5k.
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    keep going, don't stop the outdoor running.

Run slower if you are struggling. If folk can walk faster than you run, it doesn't matter, you are training your body and your mind.

Don't take the dog or if you want to work harder tie the dog to you and get the dog to drag you round the route. It is soooo hard!!

It does get easier :)

When you are starting out running, run at the speed where you can easily talk. If you can't go slower. Once you get to that level then extend your time.

Good luck
  • wnt2bhlthy4me
    wnt2bhlthy4me Posts: 121 Member
    :flowerforyou: Great job for trying outside running and for walking your dog. I have a GS dog too but she's 7 and does great running with me. Only advice I have is to keep trying. You'll get in shape and learn how to run outside while teaching your baby how to jog beside you.
  • MonicaA2013
    MonicaA2013 Posts: 753 Member
    Couch to 5k.

^^^^^^ NUF SAID....THIS ALL THE WAY !!!
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Has German Shepherd - 8 months old. She walks and makes me drag her. Carried her home on my shoulders last time!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Outdoor running blows away TM running even in the not so good weather!

If you do run on the TM..put it on at least a 1 incline to help adapt to the friction and pushing off form the ground.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Do NOT take your German Shepard (5 mo old) with you on your first outdoor run. When he realizes you're a weak suck and slow runner he will just walk beside you while you die jogging making you feel completely out of shape and pathetic.

Note: I usually run/jog on the treadmill where I don't have to think. Running outdoors and trying to find the right pace was more difficult than I expected.

also

do NOT take your Saint Bernard (5 years old) with you on any of your outdoor runs. Even if you just walk at too demanding a pace, he won't be into the experience, he will realize that he might be bigger than you, and he will randomly sit his *kitten* down just to see you ping to a stop at the end of his lead and land on your *kitten*, making you feel both guilty and pathetic.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    @Asherah29 - I bet that was a great work out having to carry her home!

I can run/jog on a treadmill for more than 5k.

I've heard about C25K but didn't think it was outdoor specific- I'll Google it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Ha! I used to run with one of my greyhounds. He would run out to the end of the leash, stand there looking around while I caught up, run to the end of the leash, stand around, repeat repeat repeat.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Go outside... put one foot in front of the other .... repeat.

Start slow and gradually slow down...... works for me
  • stumblinthrulife

It can be done on treadmill or outside. It's ultimately just a way of developing a base level of running fitness using run/walk intervals.

Note that when done on a treadmill, the transition to outdoor running is still a challenge. Took me a couple of weeks to go from running 5k on a TM to running 5k on the road.
  • thavoice
    If ones goal is to do it outside then I would train from the onset outside. Seems silly to me to do all the work on the TM, and then have to work even more to be able to do it outside.
  • Squamation

Note that when done on a treadmill, the transition to outdoor running is still a challenge. Took me a couple of weeks to go from running 5k on a TM to running 5k on the road.

Glad I'm not the only one who's had difficulty with it. :)
  • Squamation
    If ones goal is to do it outside then I would train from the onset outside. Seems silly to me to do all the work on the TM, and then have to work even more to be able to do it outside.

My work hours are sporadic and was living in a place with frequent rain so running on a treadmill made more sense. Now I'm in a place with better weather and thought running outdoors might be a nice change.
  • stumblinthrulife

I started in the dead of a Missouri winter. At that time I did not have the hundreds of dollars of thermal running gear I now own, now that I know I enjoy running.

People have reasons for what they do and how they do them. Don't presume.
  • thavoice

I started in the dead of a Missouri winter. At that time I did not have the hundreds of dollars of thermal running gear I now own, now that I know I enjoy running.

People have reasons for what they do and how they do them. Don't presume.
    Just giving advice for people who do have a choice to run in or outside. I help teach a couch25k group each spring for the last 6-7 years and hear the comments all the time from people who tried to transition from TM to outside.
    Of course there are going to circumstances that could force someone inside but if there is the outside option...that is better.

and btw.......one of our run group goes through the Ohio winters and this last year was very brutal. ONe tuesday it got cancelled but the rest of the time we still go out there. Some brutal runs...but still better than inside on the hamster wheel.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member

Fabulous, Just fabulous. She's weighing about 65 pounds at the moment, so I sweated like a hog and ended up with black hair plastered all over me. No running involved!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Couch to 5k.

Or a smaller dog.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

also

do NOT take your Saint Bernard (5 years old) with you on any of your outdoor runs. Even if you just walk at too demanding a pace, he won't be into the experience, he will realize that he might be bigger than you, and he will randomly sit his *kitten* down just to see you ping to a stop at the end of his lead and land on your *kitten*, making you feel both guilty and pathetic.

LOL- you guys and your dogs.

We run with our horses.

*kitten* gets real interesting when they decided they are ready to go home.

Upside- if you teach them to tail- you can run sprints WAY faster than you every would on your own.
    (tailing- drop back- grab tail mid way down- they go- you run behind)
    Works great for the last stretch home- or for running up hills.
  • ag27404
    ag27404 Posts: 47 Member
    Do NOT take your German Shepard (5 mo old) with you on your first outdoor run.

I would check with your vet to make sure running at 5 months for a GSD is okay....in my experience (dog training/rescue for 15 years) for larger breed dogs, it is recommended you wait until they are about a year old before you start to run with them.

That said I've completely given up on running with my dogs. I decided I didn't want a broken ankle or dislocated shoulder. :)

I started on the treadmill but now that I've made the transition outside it is so much more fun to run (lots more to see). Don't give up. It will come with time and practice.

Good luck!