How to improve my lung capacity for running?

Options
2»

Replies

• speckled_raven
    speckled_raven Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Didn't see anyone mention it, so I thought I would. Be sure that you are "tummy breathing" instead of just "chest breathing." When you take a deep breath, you should focus on breathing down to your belly so your tummy expands, not just your chest. If you take a deep chest breath, just your chest goes out and your shoulders go up. To get a really good lungful, breath down to your belly.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    The best way to increase cardiovascular capacity is to bring yourself to your current limit as often and as long as you can manage. Your body will adapt and increase your capacity to match the new demands being placed on it. Then you place more demand on it. (get in a) lather, rinse, repeat.

Interval training is good for this. But anything that gets you a huffin' and a puffin' works. As soon as you find that you aren't utterly exhausted at the end of your workout, it's time to up your game.

And, as someone who left 40 behind some time ago, I can assure you that it does not get easier with age, but is so much more rewarding for it.

Pretty much this. Go as intense as you can for short periods of time.

and it is too late really for the race you are wanting to do.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Adding consistent swimming has helped a lot for me.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I hope that OP found out a way to do this in the last two years.

But wtf about running with a snorkel? Don't do that.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    zombie post
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    When running for distance it's a good idea to use a mix of the distance running itself and intervals like a couple posters mentioned. The British military reference actually looks very interesting. Depending on how often you run, shoot for 80% of your running to be aerobic in-nature (distance) and 20% to be anaerobic (intervals). The aerobic running is obvious. Anerobic options...

- checkout the British military thing
    - Cycle or Elliptical intervals:
    6-sec sprint, 30-sec rest, repeat for 20-min's and build-up from there
    2-min low intensity / 2-min moderate intensity / 1-min max effort: shoot for 20-min's build from there in 5-min sets

- Running: Find your average 5K time...
    Divide by 3 to get your mile pace time. Deduct 5% from that time and run 1 mile, rest a min or two, run another mile, rest a min or two, run the 3rd mile. For each mile you want to beat your mile pace time by 5%, gradually reduce your time by 5% when you can run each mile at 5% under that initial pace time.

You can also do the above for half-mile runs, just divide by 6 (math check?).

Edit: I included the intervals under cycle or elliptical because they're low-impact on your body. They can definitely be done as sprints if you choose.