Does everyone lose their hair?

Options
Hello. Started my weight loss journey back in January and have lost 71 pounds so far. For the past couple of months I've started noticing a LOT of hair loss. When I shower, brush or do anything to it. I'm always pulling what feels like handfuls out. It's not usual for me. Was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same or if it's even related to the weight loss? Thanks!

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    how much are you eating daily?

this is a sign of malnutrition
  • ljmcf
    ljmcf Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This has actually happened to me twice - although I always put it down to stress!
  • infinitevast
    infinitevast Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1200-1250 calories a day. Rarely go under . I did go out and buy a multivitamin. I'm hoping this may help..
  • ag27404
    ag27404 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Yes - hair loss is a big concern.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options

^^ This. If you're at 1200 calories or less and aren't eating back your exercise calories and/or you're severely restricting a particular food group, you may be malnourished.
  • Frappleberry
    Frappleberry Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest it happened to me, docs tested for thyroid issues. Apparently hair loss is associated with an under active thyroid. Mine wasn't in the end but I was very low in iron and vitamin D, I was also very tired all the time. Now on iron supplements and things are better. Maybe ask your doctor for some tests, hope this helps :)
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1200-1300 calories a day. Rarely go under . I did go out and buy a multivitamin. I'm hoping this may help..
    are you exercising on top of this?

i dont mean to freak you out, it could be stress as the other poster said, or hormone changes due to the new weight loss
  • WifedUpMartin
    WifedUpMartin Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The same has happened to me. I'm definitely not malnourished and I feel like I eat MUCH better than I used to because now I actually eat veggies and fruits and that never used to happen. My hair has gotten MUCH thinner to the point where it's starting to worry me. I've even tried taking a biotin supplement and I haven't really seen a difference. Sorry I can't help but you're not alone because it's happeneing to me too! I've lost around 60 pounds (had lost close to 90 at my lowest last year but put some back on and am just now coming back to get it off and keep heading in the right direction).
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I had lost too. Mine was breakage from having to wash my hair twice as much as i used to combined with the excessive sweat and pulling my hair back and wearing bandanas all the time to keep it out of my eyes when i worked out. I ended up having to cut my hair short
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    my hair has got a lot better since i started eating better, even eating at a deficit (though it's only a small deficit anyway)
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    There are many factors to consider. Everyone loses hair. It happens during your morning shower, while you're blowing it dry, or when you give it a quick brush—and that's normal. On average, we lose fifty to a hundred hairs a day, note to quote, but that's just hair going through its cycles, and there will be a new one to replace it. But hair loss may be a sign of medical conditions as well. Excessive weight loss or stress can trigger, it can be hereditary, due to thyroid, iron deficiency, excessive styling etc. If you have any serious concerns, I would suggest checking with your doctor.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    How's your dietary fat intake? I've never experienced with, even with a 53 lb loss but that was over 9 months.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I did lose A LOT of hair as I neared my goal weight - but it all grew back! I was not malnourished. I only cut about 250 calories a day from my TDEE, ate over 2,000 calories a day and lost slowly.

I had bloodwork done to check my thyroid and vitamin levels. Everything came back normal, so my doctor diagnosed it as telogen effluvium (http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/effluviums) and said it is not uncommon in people who lose a significant amount of weight. Losing 66 pounds causes a pretty measurable shift in a person's hormones. It was enough to kick start a bout of telogen effluvium for me.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Hi

Im coming at this from a different angle im a qualified hairdresser and yes its common for people to lose hair that is being replaced , hair falls out for all types of reasons stress, grief, genetics, alopecia what you need to know is hair is a protein so you need to make sure your diet especially if towards 1200-1300 is full of what your body needs calcium and protein, whole grains and fresh fruit and veg or frozen and lots of water. Look at your nails if they are brittle then the bigger picture is yes you may be lacking in essential vitamins and minerals. I would suggest seeking medical advice
  • infinitevast
    Options
    No, I don't work out. I am on my feet for about 8 hours a day though. I run child care out of my home and they can be very demanding at times :)
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    There are many factors to consider. Everyone loses hair. It happens during your morning shower, while you're blowing it dry, or when you give it a quick brush—and that's normal. On average, we lose fifty to a hundred hairs a day, note to quote, but that's just hair going through its cycles, and there will be a new one to replace it. But hair loss may be a sign of medical conditions as well. Excessive weight loss or stress can trigger, it can be hereditary, due to thyroid, iron deficiency, excessive styling etc. If you have any serious concerns, I would suggest checking with your doctor.

This.

I pull out what feels like a lot of hair every day. I'm not malnourished in any way, shape, or form.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Have you been to the doctor since your weightloss? After losing 100 lbs, at my next doctor appointment when they did my blood work, my doctor was VERY concerned about me (and with good reason). I had tons of malnutrition issues, not the least of which was osteoperosis at a young, young age and anemia.

I don't know you, and I'm not a doctor. I don't know if you've been lifting weights and walking while losing. But if you're losing hair, that's not a good sign. It's possible you also lost bone. If you are active or plan to become active (like downhill skiing or bike riding) I HIGHLY URGE YOU to get a bone density test and get some medical advice. Or, conversely, if you aren't active, start a gentle but progressive program of self-supported, medium-impact aerobic exercises (walking, running, roller skating) where you "jar" the bones a little every time you take a step. This will help regrow bone density. I don't mean to scare you. I just want you to know that bone loss is a huge risk of losing a lot of weight and not watching your micronutrients.

(edited for: english is hard)
  • infinitevast
    Options
    I did lose A LOT of hair as I neared my goal weight - but it all grew back! I was not malnourished. I only cut about 250 calories a day from my TDEE, ate over 2,000 calories a day and lost slowly.

I had bloodwork done to check my thyroid and vitamin levels. Everything came back normal, so my doctor diagnosed it as telogen effluvium (http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/effluviums) and said it is not uncommon in people who lose a significant amount of weight. Losing 66 pounds causes a pretty measurable shift in a person's hormones. It was enough to kick start a bout of telogen effluvium for me.

Effluvium...I will need to look into this. Thank you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No, I don't work out. I am on my feet for about 8 hours a day though. I run child care out of my home and they can be very demanding at times :)

your ticker says you're at goal... shouldnt you be eating at maintenance, not 1200 cals?
  • erkerns
    erkerns Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I lost a lot of hair when I switched to a different birth control. Have you just started or changed any medications?