To non-Americans - do you have a national holiday?

Options

Replies

• CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    In New Zealand its Waitangi Day on the 6th February.

There is a list of them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Day#N

Yeah we have Waitangi Day, that's really quite a politically loaded day, and I am not sure many people in NZ knows why we 'celebrate' it.
  • therealblackdahlia
    therealblackdahlia Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    We just had Canada Day, July 1st.
  • Gawanne
    Gawanne Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say Neandermagnon how much I love your posts and hope you continue them. I'm the elderly displaced Brit who set the St George and the dragon discussion off. I believe they still fly the English flag from church towers though, if nothing else.
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    England has St Georges day 23rd April as its national day but it is not a public holiday boo Many people do celebrate it though. We do have 8 public holidays a year though when a lot of workers are off work and these include May day (yes I day to celebrate May!) Spring bank hol (no idea why) Last Monday in Aug (again no idea why) Good FRiday and EAster Monday plus boxing day at Christmas as well as Christmas day and new years day so we get plenty

Spring Bank Holiday is what used to be the religious celebration related to Whitsun/ Whit Sunday :)
  • Sbrn_
    Sbrn_ Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Here in Ireland we have St. Patrick's day - but you probably already knew that, lol. We also have Easter Sunday as well to an extent (in commemoration of the rising). Things get SUPER patriotic on both those days. Of course there's the obligatory bountiful amounts of alcohol on St. Patrick's. Easter is a lot more solemn.

I would say St.Patricks Day, because its a national holiday, and it does celebrate being Irish rather than anything religious.

I must say I've never noticed any increase in patriotism around Easter. The only time I've ever noticed anything for the Easter Rising is on a big anniversary - probably because we actually lost, so not much to celebrate!

I live in Belfast, if that's at all relevant. I know there's parades down south, but I'm not sure how the average person responds. But it's taken veeeery seriously in some parts here, if you know what I mean... haha :glasses:
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    England doesn't need a day, they're the reason so many other countries have one.

:laugh:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say Neandermagnon how much I love your posts and hope you continue them. I'm the elderly displaced Brit who set the St George and the dragon discussion off. I believe they still fly the English flag from church towers though, if nothing else.

• 303enfield
    303enfield Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    nope we don't do the 4th of july here in Ireland but only 8 days to the 12th of July and that will be mad fun :bigsmile:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    One day we will reclaim the rebellious colonies.
  • Saxonvoter
    Saxonvoter Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    In Finland, our Independence Day is December 6th. Not a lot of barbequeing going on because it's usually pretty cold, but it is a national holiday and many people eat a nice big dinner with family, I believe.

I believe most Finns also watch a movie called "The Unknown Soldier" (an old black and white movie about the Continuation War against Russia during WW2) and those who drink, get drunk. Like on every holiday here. :"D
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    we know what you mean so we do.
  • Meerataila
    Options

Only if you're wiling to extend better healthcare and a living wage. Then you can have us back.

Edit: I forgot the most important condition. You have to make us part of the EU so I can come live in Ireland, Norway, or Iceland! Do it now!
  • radioactiveskullgirl
    Options
    Back here In Jordan ( Yes am a creature who lives in the middle east :P ) we have our Day at 25th of May :D
    happy 4th of July folks ! ????
  • savannahribeiro
    savannahribeiro Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Canada Day, here! July 1st! Fireworks, beer, partying, and more beer.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I suspect that if you put it to a vote, America would approve it and England would reject us.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Was discussing with my daughter about tomorrow being the Fourth of July, Independence Day here in the USA, and we figured that our British friends wouldn't be having the holiday with fireworks like we do. So, we wondered, what is the national holiday in other countries?

A British friend calls July 4 Thanksgiving Day.
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Only if you're wiling to extend better healthcare and a living wage. Then you can have us back.

Edit: I forgot the most important condition. You have to make us part of the EU so I can come live in Ireland, Norway, or Iceland! Do it now!

Well, just hope they also make Norway and Iceland part of the EU...
  • Meerataila
    Options

Well, just hope they also make Norway and Iceland part of the EU...

Haha. I win the ignorant American prize for the day. Damn, I thought they were!
  • splashtree2
    splashtree2 Posts: 277
    Options
    june 2th Republi was born in Italy.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Waitangi Day is February 6th in NZ.

A bit of a controversial day, as it was the day the English signed a treaty with the indigenous people, only to start breaking it a few decades later.