Who eats just egg whites and why do you do that?

Options

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    When a baked recipe calls for egg I use Egg Beaters. I don't want to waste my eating eggs. I recently took a cake decorating class. I wasn't about to blow all my yummy eggs on all those cakes that I wasn't going to even eat.....before you ask, I don't actually like to eat cake frosting, I just wanted to play with it.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Eating only the whites of eggs makes the baby Jesus cry.

OMG this makes me cry..tears of laughter!!!!!

Flippittydoodah! Seriously!!! I once did the 6 week body make over diet and it was filled with meals that had the option of egg whites (with no salt) as part of a meal. It was hell, hell makes baby Jesus cry.
  • victoriaeac
    victoriaeac Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree. Chalky is right.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    They are great for low calorie meals when you need some protein.
  • lightmouse
    lightmouse Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I do. So I can put more cheese inside my omelette :laugh:
  • SheBeButLittleSheisFierce
    Options
    I've tried egg whites by the carton. I dont mind em so much in omellettes but I think that is because I cover up the taste(less) with all the yummy nom noms i add. I usually have a problem eating enough calories so there is really no reason for me to continue on this dreadful journey of yolklessness (its a word i promise)
  • VeLisaraptor13
    VeLisaraptor13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I could never throw good food away like that! There's never a time when I have to eat low fat enough to get rid of the best part of the egg.

and
    I seriously cannot be arsed separating the yolk from the white.
    And wtf would I do with all the yolks? I'm too tight to chuck them...

Just to say it again, you can buy cartons of egg whites at the grocery store. I get mine in bulk at CostCo. If you do this the yolks aren't wasted: the processor can sell them to be used for other purposes like making mayo or for baking.

I've never came across cartons of whites in the UK - can anyone help with this? Maybe I'm not looking in the right aisles!
  • ChaoticSilhouette
    ChaoticSilhouette Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My thoughts exactly. It's like a pair of specs without real/corrective lenses or a horror film without some sort of horrific aspect. Absolutely necessary for legitimacy. As well as deliciousness in the case of eggs, it's just not the same without them-- not to mention, both the white and yolk carry certain nutrients.
  • skinny0000
    skinny0000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When I want protein without fat and cholestrol.
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    The yolks are gold.
  • Chazerc
    Chazerc Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Pros: Egg whites are 75% less calories on average than a whole egg (@ 3 tbsp) while maintaining the same amount of protein. They also are cholesterol free, which is a big plus. 100 calories for 20g of protein? So me a protein supplement with that high of ratio. (I'm vegetarian so meat can't apply. lol sorry)

Cons: They are slightly less flavorful, but if you throw in a piece of sliced Go Veggie cheese, it makes the flavor difference BETTER than if it was a real egg. Plus it adds 3g protein for only 40 calories.

Egg whites are definitely the way to go.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    They taste of nowt ........ the yummy, good for you, tasty bit is the yoke.

Unfortunately those yummy Meringues turn out bad if I add the yolk
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of whites only, or the carton eggs. Whole eggs for me. I don't eat as many as I used to though. Maybe 2-4 eggs per week. I boil up a dozen eggs each week for my Dad. He typically just eats the whites for the protein (the dog usually gets a yolky present on those mornings), and occassionally will eat the whole egg, but mostly because he suffers from heart disease and has to watch the cholesterol.

Can't do the runny yolk thing though. Yuch!
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs only for me. Mostly because I feel that there is something weird about getting eggs out of a carton. I've considered it at the grocery store but it just grosses me out for some reason. If I don't crack it myself, I don't eat it. And unless I'm using it for baking, I don't really see the point of separating them myself. But I always make room for all whole, full fat foods: Butter, Homo milk, etc. I'd just rather eat the good stuff and keep it in moderation!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I. LOVE. EGGS. I love them so much.

But the yolk has stuff that's not good for you in it, so doctors sometimes have people not eating those. A lot of people say they'd rather die than give something up, but when push comes to shove and you're told you could, in fact, die...people decide to hang around for their kids or that they don't really want to die for food, after all...or that they don't want to suffer through worse pain than they already have.

It's really easy to say you'd die first when that's hypothetical. Some people do, in fact, choose food over life. My mom did. Ate herself to death. But a lot of people start humming a new tune when it's no longer hypothetical.

Eggs are good, though!! Scrambled with no yolk, I couldn't do it. Hard-boiled, though - I prefer the white! Hard-boiled yolks are good, but not as good as the white. Soft-boiled without yolk might be gross. Never tried that.
  • Lurchie
    Lurchie Posts: 5
    Options
    I eat egg whites because I have to watch my cholesterol. 2 whole eggs pretty much max out my cholesterol for the day. Also, eating egg whites allow you to eat 4 times as much for the same caloric value.
  • BBBBB99999
    BBBBB99999 Posts: 13
    Options
    Just like chicken hearts, eggs yolks are rather high in cholesterol and fat! However, they also sport a fair share of choline, vitamins A, K, E, D, alongside several minerals. Take out the yolk and you have virtually none of that fat or cholesterol, but you're also losing the V&Ms. You're also losing half the protein! And it's not very economically-sound to be eating only the egg whites that you're cracking yourself (unless someone else is eating them or you're using the yolk on your face. Eggs make for an excellent face mask!)

So in the end, it depends on what your dietary needs are. Some people like Lurchie absolutely do not need the yolk, lest they face serious health complications. They can still enjoy things like meringue and souffles, though!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I eatt mostly egg whites...
    But sometimes I will do whole eggs

For me, and how I "diet" if you will....
    I have low fat days, so I do w/ out the fat from them.....
  • Sigmalongshot
    Options
    I actually love egg whites. And as someone earlier said, it's a good protein punch for very little calories (90 calories for a whole egg versus 15-20 for an egg white). You can literally eat four to five egg whites for every whole egg, which adds to a very satiating, satisfying meal for very few calories.

Think about it - you can have five egg whites, 100g of cottage cheese AND salad... and it's less than 200 calories. That's like awesome protein/tummy-filling power for very little caloric intake.
  • Sigmalongshot
    Options
    I could never throw good food away like that! There's never a time when I have to eat low fat enough to get rid of the best part of the egg.

and
    I seriously cannot be arsed separating the yolk from the white.
    And wtf would I do with all the yolks? I'm too tight to chuck them...

Just to say it again, you can buy cartons of egg whites at the grocery store. I get mine in bulk at CostCo. If you do this the yolks aren't wasted: the processor can sell them to be used for other purposes like making mayo or for baking.

I've never came across cartons of whites in the UK - can anyone help with this? Maybe I'm not looking in the right aisles!

Posh-pants I know, but try Waitrose. They do the cartons of whites. Just get the wallet dusted beforehand...