Don't Drink Your Calories

Options

Replies

• chelsealfinn
    chelsealfinn Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm a soda person too (that's actually the thing I miss the most)! I usually like Dr. Pepper, Coke, & Pepsi but they don't fit into my macros if I want to have a snack and some decent meals. I agree, most of the diet drinks are super nasty and not even worth drinking. The only one I've come across that is pretty true to taste is Sprite Zero. I've never been a big Sprite fan but if it comes down to me really needing a soft drink I'd much rather grab a Sprite zero than ruin my good streak by drinking a full calorie drink. Also, I haven't tried it with the Sprite Zero but Sprite with JUST A LITTLE dash of almond extract is super good. I know it sounds totally weird (had some at a baby shower). Doesn't hurt to try though, especially if it helps keep you away from worse drinks.
  • fryebootgirl
    fryebootgirl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I usually don't drink tea...just have never like it. However, I use a Tazo sweet orange and a passionfruit tea bag in a mug of hot water with some Truvia and it is really good! You can also put it over ice after it has brewed if you aren't in the mood for a hot beverage.
  • jackielek
    jackielek Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Minute Maid puts out a great tasting 15 calorie lemonade in the carton. It also comes in fruit punch flavor. Pretty inexpensive.
  • Buffalospiritdancer
    Options
    I know why you are eating so low.. I'm in your head aren't I? My evil plan is working, and I have you seeking desperate measures.. Actually, 1200 DOES seem really low Doug. I know you say it is okay, but you are working out, eating well and that just seems way too little. I am only 5'6, and I eat almost double that and am still neck and neck with this guy who keeps challenging me even though I tell him no, I am not interested in a competition! (Damn I miss Dr Pepper.. Still treat myself now and again, but usually half sweet tea is my curse of choice!)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'd get a second opinion from a registered dietitian. Doctors aren't that well versed when it comes to diet, although I think they should have been concerned with the fact you'll be losing a lot of muscle mass going that aggressive.

Is there a reason for the rush?

So many questions and the exact ones I had upon reading the OP.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    But beer.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I drink some of my meals, I have a glass of veggie/fruit juice daily to ensure I get enough in for the day. I sometimes have a glass of chocolate skim milk as breakfast. I have no problem staying under 1500 a day, will drinking my juice or milk
  • FlashMorehouse
    FlashMorehouse Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hey guys - The only way I can seem to keep to my LOW goal of 1,200 calories a day is to completely eliminate any calories from beverages. I can only drink so much water and iced tea, and I'm not a fan of diet cola. Am I missing any great solutions out there that I should know about?

Thanks
    Doug

I do something called eat food. If you really want to only take in 1200 calories that is up to you but I would strongly suggest more calories and if you drink some of them it is okay.

Everytime I drop below 1800 or so calories for any length of time I pretty much go into starvation mode and the body stresses out. I still lose weight at the approximate 2000 calories I eat every day.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5"4 woman losing 1-2lb a week on 1900 a day.

Just sayin'. :drinker: <- that's beer.
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Stella_Mayfair Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    lots of great suggestions. I learned to love water quickly-it really shed the cals for better food. Also great for eliminating toxins. One thing I learned if you can't handle ant diet drinks (they all kill my tummy in liquid form, not solid) I make sure to use less and as a treat or drink fruit drinks I make (so u know what is in it and get yummy juice/smoothies or veggies shakes) Try squeezing some lime, lemon, water melon, etc into ice cube trays and freeze them then add to ur water. Or take those concentrated drinks-it says add 3 cups of water, try 6, making less cals, until water is best
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    1200 cals is about 10 beers regular strength pints I believe.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I know that you didn't ask, but...
    I'm 5' 8.5"
    171 pounds
    eating 2000 or so calories a day
    Averaging a deficient of 500 calories(balanced weekly) for 1 pound a week loss.

Highly recommend the sexypants post by Sidesteel(already linked)

Also
    "It’s not that hard and its not that complicated. The changes you need to make to lose weight and reduce your bodyfat are much smaller than you fear and they are easier to live with than you could possibly imagine! A common sense approach involving exercise and nutrition is all that is required to get ripped, washboard abs. When most people think about losing weight, what comes to mind is words like “hunger”, “deprivation”, “diet”, and “agony”. No! Losing weight properly will not result in any of these, the key is in the above two words “common sense”. Most of the fad diets out there are unhealthy, dangerous or both and lead to deprivation and hunger which eventually leads to binging and guilt – the typical unhealthy yo-yo weight loss pattern."

http://scoobysworkshop.com/losing-weight-and-building-6-pack-abs/#exercisemore

And here's his handy dandy calculator! http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

To your topic- mio's good, I also like diet dr pepper(my go to mixer for alcohol lol), but mostly I drink water and if I have something else I just fit it in and watch my carb balance for the day(make sure that I'm not sacrificing my protein calories for a glass of koolaid)
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I thought men weren't supposed to eat less than 1500 calories? 1200 is for women because they aren't as muscular. You want to lose mostly fat and as little muscle as possible.

What I did when I quit soda was I allowed myself two non-water drinks per day at first. When I started logging at MFP and paying attention to calories, I lowered it to one per day or I try to drink only water. It's not something I "like" doing but it's just something to get used to. It will be difficult at first but seeing the scale go down will be worth it.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I like the Mio drink mixes...or Great Value of you wanna save $! Bonus: some of them have caffeine! (This was a glorious discovery for a dyed-in-the-wool soda drinker!)
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I like the Mio drink mixes...or Great Value of you wanna save $! Bonus: some of them have caffeine! (This was a glorious discovery for a dyed-in-the-wool soda drinker!)
    YES! I was overjoyed when I saw that lol, but also I buy a bottle of jet alert(I think is what it's called) it's just caffeine. 1/2 a pill is like a cup of coffee(yep I break them). It makes it easier to go about my day and pretend that I'm not a mountain dew chugging gamer... lol It was only like $4 for the bottle and helps with the drain from quitting caffeinated drinks.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Mercy! Why is a grown man only eating 1200 calories?!?! :noway: Bad bad bad....

But Mio is delicious and zero calories. And you should have it with a side of more calories. You're a man not a little girl.
  • ImAnuk
    ImAnuk Posts: 6
    Options
    look at your local helath store for stevia its a natural sweetner 0 cals.
    If you must you drink something other than water look for 30 cal almond milk, look for natural soda sweetned with stevia, o cals fill up on salads and fruits drink lots of water and ur cravings will stop the body corrects its self.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Hey guys - The only way I can seem to keep to my LOW goal of 1,200 calories a day is to completely eliminate any calories from beverages. I can only drink so much water and iced tea, and I'm not a fan of diet cola. Am I missing any great solutions out there that I should know about?

Thanks
    Doug
    Why is a 41 year old man only eating 1200 calories a day? Keep going if you want to lose all your muscle and make yourself ill and then in all likelihood gain the weight back plus some or have a look at the thread and eat some food retain muscle mass and lose weight. I'm a 45 year old man eating between 2,000 and 2500 calories a day losing weight at a steady reasonable pace.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Nope, stopped drinking them over a year ago. I'd rather eat my calories.