Don't Drink Your Calories

Options

Replies

• sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I drink something called 'Good Girl Moonshine" it is really delicous considering the weird ingredients. It is 1-2 TBS apple cider vinegar, ginger, serano chile, stevie.

This sounds really interesting.

Though OP, I agree with the people telling you to up your calories. I'm sure you could have more and lose weight. The sexy pants forum post is a great place to start.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Hey guys - The only way I can seem to keep to my LOW goal of 1,200 calories a day is to completely eliminate any calories from beverages. I can only drink so much water and iced tea, and I'm not a fan of diet cola. Am I missing any great solutions out there that I should know about?

Thanks
    Doug

Yes. A grown-*kitten* man shouldn't be eating 1200 cals/day.

Fix that first, then eat what you like within your calorie limit achieving the requisite balance of macro and micro nutrients to sustain a moderate calorie deficit
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    1200 calories... R.I.P., I am cutting almost 2 lbs a week on 2400, best of luck with that.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Eat more! 1200 calories is my dinner and I'm a 43 year old 5'6 female.

And I will be drinking lots of calories this weekend and will enjoy every single one of them thanks!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you're eating so few calories, especially as you don't have much to lose.

I'm 5'6 and eat 1650, but I don't eat back exercise calories, and I'm pretty active. I manage to get a skinny cappuccino in most days :)

Otherwise I drink coffee or tea with a small bit of whole milk. That doesn't have many calories.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I agree that it can be helpful to cut out calorie laden drinks and focus on food that is nutrition dense. I like any of the fruit / mint or cucumber infused drinks - I just can't drink the same one two days in a row. I just slice the fruit (I do like mint/lime at least once a week), fill up a quart water bottle and stick it in the fridge.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Hey guys - The only way I can seem to keep to my LOW goal of 1,200 calories a day is to completely eliminate any calories from beverages. I can only drink so much water and iced tea, and I'm not a fan of diet cola. Am I missing any great solutions out there that I should know about?

Thanks
    Doug
    Why is a 41 year old man only eating 1200 calories a day? Keep going if you want to lose all your muscle and make yourself ill and then in all likelihood gain the weight back plus some or have a look at the thread and eat some food retain muscle mass and lose weight. I'm a 45 year old man eating between 2,000 and 2500 calories a day losing weight at a steady reasonable pace.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594

+1
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Haha - Do not worry, I've checked it with my physician and it wasn't determined by ME, it was part of a formula by MFP for 1.7 lb. loss per week. I'm only 5'8, so I'm not a hulk. But thanks for the concern. :-)

I'm the same height as you and female, and I eat more than 1200 calories per day.

As for your original question, I drink coffee (black), green tea (unsweetened), black tea (unsweetened), fruit infused water, and sometimes powerade Zero (mainly after heavy workouts when I need some sodium).
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I really like the zero calorie flavored sparkling waters I can from Walmart...the Lime is my favorite.
  • Fuax75
    Fuax75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I can not drink plan water. I always add lemon to it and i drink it constantly.
  • girl_w_2_forks_and_a_knife
    Options
    I most always drink water. On a special occasion, I'll have a glass of wine usually a spritzer. I would just flavoring or infusing your water with fruits and herbs. For example, watermelon and rosemary, pineapple and mint, blackberry and sage, all citrus, or raspberry and lime - see below. (Lemon water is great too especially warm lemon water in the morning to detox.)

Also, I do drink on occasion Matcha green tea (sweet and refreshing on its own) and black coffee (no sugar or cream). Very, very few calories. I'm a believer in not drinking your calories. If you want to drink them, maybe juicing or a smoothie is another option.

"Vitamin" Water
    1. Take favorite fruit (real, not canned) combination and slice paper thin or chop thinly.
    2. Place in 1 quart jar and add water.
    3. Let refrigeration for 4-6 hours.
    4. Serve over ice.
    Like, comment, and share this tip
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Wheeeeeee! I don't have any muscles either!
    giphy.gif
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Wheeeeeee! I don't have any muscles either!
    giphy.gif

You made my day. :laugh:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    But beer.

This.

And lattes.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Dude. Doug. You gotta eat. My 8 year old daughter eats more than that.
  • lkirchner82
    lkirchner82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I typically never post on these forums, but since most of the replies have berated the poster for his calorie goals, I thought I'd throw in my two cents. Sure, 1200 calories seems low. My husband recently began a new job, and he spends far more time at a desk, whereas he used to spend 75% of his day on his feet. When he changed his lifestyle in MFP, it also dropped him to 1200 calories a day. I'm not sure that this is a realistic goal, but don't beat this guy up for following the advice of MFP. Maybe we shouldn't just follow advice without question, but we do all view it as a respectable fitness tool, or we wouldn't be on here.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I like to drink beer for my calories! :drinker:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I typically never post on these forums, but since most of the replies have berated the poster for his calorie goals, I thought I'd throw in my two cents. Sure, 1200 calories seems low. My husband recently began a new job, and he spends far more time at a desk, whereas he used to spend 75% of his day on his feet. When he changed his lifestyle in MFP, it also dropped him to 1200 calories a day. I'm not sure that this is a realistic goal, but don't beat this guy up for following the advice of MFP. After all, we clearly all view it as a respectable fitness tool!

Edit: Too early in the morning. People are trying to help the OP. Let them. I'd also suggest that your husband read this thread. MFP sets 1200 as the baseline as a safety catch below which no one (not even small women) should dip below. And, while I think that is debatable, particularly for the under 5 foot tall set, it is definitely something to think about when talking about what a man should eat.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Haha - Do not worry, I've checked it with my physician and it wasn't determined by ME, it was part of a formula by MFP for 1.7 lb. loss per week. I'm only 5'8, so I'm not a hulk. But thanks for the concern. :-)

I am 5'6 145, when I cut I still eat 1750-1800 calories, no way you should as a man be below 1600. I drink beer, wine, protein shakes, all of which have calories in them, I enjoy them more than most of the food I eat too.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

I am 5'6 145, when I cut I still eat 1700 calories, no way you should as a man be below 1600.

This^

I am the same height and roughly the same weight and, although I wave my calories up and down through the week, lose on a daily av of 2000ish. I train 3 days a week.