Is being fat a disability??

Options

Replies

• _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    For the record, I have been overweight...so who is judging now??

Still you love.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    All I am moved to say is....

15 yards! Unnecessary holding!

Challenging the ruling! Review the tapes!
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Typical obesity, as is the case for the majority of most obese people, is a self-inflicted wound.

There are true disabilities/disorders, etc that slow down or stop people who try to lose weight, but there are people who, with these issues, overcome them. They are the type of people that instead of finding their diagnosis as an excuse to just stay fat, find it as a challenge to make themselves better. These are people with extreme cases of Lupus, or who have had brain surgery, or who have a nerve disorder that's so bad they pass out going up a flight of steps. These same people, who through sheer strength of character, choose to make a difference for themselves. These people are my heroes. They don't say "oh, I don't have enough time to work out, so I'm going to stay 350lbs."
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    For the record, I have been overweight...so who is judging now??

You are.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    dis·a·bil·i·ty
    /ˌdisəˈbilitē/

noun

noun: disability; plural noun: disabilities

a physical or mental condition that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities.

However, being OBESE or MORBIDLY OBESE does.

Im Obese and I can jog..So I disagree:wink:

Morbidly obese and can jog. And jump up onto 6' walls. And work as hard as anyone else.

/shrug

So you weigh 350+ lbs and can jump up onto 6' walls?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I think my post was totally misconstrued.....

And yet you say things like:
    THEN the "victim" that sits next to me and has already had a lap band and lost some weight and gained some of it back....brought up depression and that making you eat and you cant help it....sorry I am calling bull**** on this one.....no quit being a victim and get off your *kitten* and do something!!!

and
    those massive people in them

and
    I judge by whats in their cart.

Strange.

It's not nice being negatively judged and people making nasty assumption about you based on incomplete information is it?
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    :dons Oprah hat:

You get a judgement!

You get a judgement!

You get a judgement!

And you get a judgement!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Typical obesity, as is the case for the majority of most obese people, is a self-inflicted wound.

There are true disabilities/disorders, etc that slow down or stop people who try to lose weight, but there are people who, with these issues, overcome them. They are the type of people that instead of finding their diagnosis as an excuse to just stay fat, find it as a challenge to make themselves better. These are people with extreme cases of Lupus, or who have had brain surgery, or who have a nerve disorder that's so bad they pass out going up a flight of steps. These same people, who through sheer strength of character, choose to make a difference for themselves. These people are my heroes. They don't say "oh, I don't have enough time to work out, so I'm going to stay 350lbs."

By this logic, they make people with legitimate disabilities look bad? My problem with this sort of thing is that you can't tell any of this just by looking at someone.

570656.gif
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I work at Vocational Rehabilitation, and I can tell you that as a state agency that works with people with disabilities, it CAN BE considered a disability. We use it for eligibility when it is related to diabetes, cardiovascular conditions, etc. and when a person is considered morbidly obese. A disability is defined as a condition that impacts a persons ability to perform a job, so you cannot possibly tell me that a person who has diabetes that is not controlled and weight 350 lbs does not have limitations. In these cases, it is my job to help the person get their diagnoses under control, including healthy weight loss.
  • _Resolve_
    Options
    I work at Vocational Rehabilitation, and I can tell you that as a state agency that works with people with disabilities, it CAN BE considered a disability. We use it for eligibility when it is related to diabetes, cardiovascular conditions, etc. and when a person is considered morbidly obese. A disability is defined as a condition that impacts a persons ability to perform a job, so you cannot possibly tell me that a person who has diabetes that is not controlled and weight 350 lbs does not have limitations. In these cases, it is my job to help the person get their diagnoses under control, including healthy weight loss.

So in other words, you save lives.

You are awesome.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I think my post was totally misconstrued...if you remember, I was referencing FMLA....my point was should you be able to take FMLA or receive a check because of being overweight....I still stand behind my opinion. If you are clinically depressed...then depression is your medical disablility not being overweight, if you have thyroid issues, thats your medical condition not being overweight....if you have no other issue except you dont move and overeat...you have no disability and you can change your circumstances...

as for the person next to me....I have worked with them for 14 yrs and yes I know their story including the fact that they had to see someone before they got the lapband to make sure they had no clinical issues such as depression before the dr would do the surgery....

I don't think your post was misconstrued. I just think you're making generic sweeping statements with nothing to back them up. As for calling BS on eating habits being related to depression I had postnatal depression & went the other way. I dropped a lot of weight very quickly via not recalling to eat & walking for miles with my daughter in her pushchair every day. It made me physically extremely ill. So no not all depressed people need 'to get up off their a**es'. Fortunately it opened my mind to the difficulties faced by folk with mental health issues. Rather than making me a judgemental knob.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I really wasn't going to comment, but I just have to say, who are you to make any kinds of judgments about people you don't know anything about? You already called your coworker a 'victim' do you know anything about their life story?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you've never dealt with depression and have no real knowledge of what it is.

You made a comment about depression and calling the fact that it can make someone eat and not stop bs. As someone who has dealt with depression since I was 9 after a very traumatic incident which shattered my whole world. I wish it was that easy to just stop eating. My darkest time was a 5 year long deep depression. I knew what I was doing, I knew I needed to stop, I knew I wanted to lose weight, I ate more. It was a very vicious cycle and it's not something someone can just 'snap' out of. I would do good, then have a bad day and eat/drink everything. Wake up the next day feeling like a failure, beat myself up mentally some more, feel worse, eat/drink, repeat. It wasn't until I had what I call my light bulb moment that I changed my life. I started losing weight, started caring and actually taking care of myself. I accepted myself. I still fight every single day. Every.Single.Day. Some days are a lot easier than others, some weeks I don't feel depressed at all, but it's still a fight. Like losing weight until someone is ready to deal, ready to fight, will they actually be able to have the strength to change.

So maybe before you start doling out judgment and calling people victims, you should take time to talk to them, find out where they are coming from. Try with an open mind to see things from a different point of view.
  • anissa333
    anissa333 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Right...but the weight is not the disability...I am fully aware that there are people who have weight issues because of medical issues, but if there is no medical issue should weight ALONE be a reason to be able to receive disablity? I think that was kind of my point when all this started...
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

So in other words, you save lives.

You are awesome.

No, I help people who want to get help saving their own lives. But thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • _Resolve_
    Options
    OP

DO me a favor, go load up 160#'s on an Olympic bar hoist it up on your back and go walk a mile. Come back to this thread after and tell me how disabled you feel. Please go try, not trying to be an *kitten* at all, but I think once you feel what the people you are talking about do you might feel differently.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Right...but the weight is not the disability...I am fully aware that there are people who have weight issues because of medical issues, but if there is no medical issue should weight ALONE be a reason to be able to receive disablity? I think that was kind of my point when all this started...

Just keep on judging... and since you're still in your halloween costume maybe this year you should go as judge judy
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    dis·a·bil·i·ty
    /ˌdisəˈbilitē/

noun

noun: disability; plural noun: disabilities

a physical or mental condition that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities.

However, being OBESE or MORBIDLY OBESE does.

Im Obese and I can jog..So I disagree:wink:

Morbidly obese and can jog. And jump up onto 6' walls. And work as hard as anyone else.

/shrug

So you weigh 350+ lbs and can jump up onto 6' walls?

If he said he can, he can...where is the encouragement? IS he 350+ or is that a number you're assuming he is?
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Fat is the bridge to actual disability problems (blood clots, high blood pressure, diabetes, joint pain, inability to walk/breathe, etc). There is people working without limbs or moving only a part of their body and you are requesting medical leaves and special benefits because you are shoving pizza down your throat? Nope. No excuses.

I am 259 pounds and 24 years old, I have caused this to myself and I am accepting it. I am trying to change it. As to depression, I'm there and I am doing my best to overcome it.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Judgment of others is often confused with prejudice. They are very similar in nature. Prejudice is defined as
    "having an adverse opinion or making a decision without just grounds or sufficient knowledge". Judgment of the items in shopping carts, others' children, and people's disabilities fall into this category. I think probably this post went in a direction you didn't anticipate. If you sincerely stand by your original comments, I will just wish you good luck in your goals in life.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    THEN the "victim" that sits next to me and has already had a lap band and lost some weight and gained some of it back....brought up depression and that making you eat and you cant help it....sorry I am calling bull**** on this one.....no quit being a victim and get off your *kitten* and do something!!!

My first thought is that you have obviously never experienced true depression, which is not simply feeling a little down.

Thankfully, my depression was situational rather than chronic (a breakup) and when I feel that way, I have no appetite, so while I didn't exercise, I also didn't eat for weeks and I lost weight.

That said, I also didn't sleep. At all. I was in college and had to take an incomplete for the summer class I was taking -- something that should (for me) have been a super easy A). Getting out of bed was a terrible struggle and I felt like a zombie. All I did was cry. And, no, I couldn't just stop feeling that way.

So while maybe the "being fat" itself might not be a disability, the conditions (including depression) leading to it can be.