Is being fat a disability??

Options

Replies

• ink_b1tch
    ink_b1tch Posts: 101
    Options
    On Wed my boss had to go to a 3 hour meeting about FMLA. She came back and said that there are key words that if you hear them being used you should direct your employee to HR..such as migraine, diabetes and such.

Joking around, I asked if fat was a key word....I picked up that can marked worms and broke it wide *kitten* open!! Everyone had an opinion...mine is its not a disability because you can do something about it. Someone brought up thyroid, ok thats a medical condition with weight gain as a side effect, but Jenny Worth became Ms Fitness Olympia with a thyroid condition so yes you have to work harder but its not a fat sentence by any means.

THEN the "victim" that sits next to me and has already had a lap band and lost some weight and gained some of it back....brought up depression and that making you eat and you cant help it....sorry I am calling bull on this one.....no quit being a victim and get off your *kitten* and do something!!!

So please tell me you thoughts? Oh and my parting comment....tell the person sitting in the wheelchair that being overweight is a disability....

Here is my take on this as a previous 276 lbs. Yes weight can be a disability (which means to disable) because it is soooooo hard to move and very painful. At 35 I could not get out of bed on my own because of the pain shooting through my legs, ankles, knees, back, hips and feet. With that being said; I did do the Gastro-bypass after 6 years of research and almost 15 years of obesity and fighting weight loss. The other "surgeries" have very small returns and ones that don’t last. I knew I needed a game changer, something that would force some change of my actual lifestyle. So I did it. After the first 50lbs came off, I was up and moving and have never stopped. My knees, back, hips, and ankles wore no longer what held me back with their stabbing pain. AGAIN, with that being said, I had to make the choice to change my lifestyle or the surgery would be for nothing. I still struggle with depression, but I know use my exercise to help deal with it. My depression did not go away just because the weight did. When I am angry and upset, I move and move hard. When I just want to sit down and eat, well let’s just say my lack of stomach does not let me get to far out of hand. This past winter I cross my line in the sand which was 150lbs. Friggin no way, so I got back on that horse and started to move again and manage my diet. Here is the bottom line, some people need a game changer, but once the game is changed it is up to that person to take full advantage and become the person on the outside they are meant to be! My weight is no longer my disability. I now have an actually disability with a horrible hernia repair surgery. I cannot lift over 5lbs and it has changed my life again. I have made up my mind this disability will not hold me back either.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I was in Walmart a couple of months ago and this young girl came in and I would say she probably has cerebral palsy...she was walking with crutches and she had that kind of sideways walk if you know what I mean...hard to explain. I was walking out as she came in, and she walked over to where they kept the riding carts and there werent any.....I had seen two of them in the store with those massive people in them. It just broke my heart that this sweet girl who had no control over her issue, was going to have to struggle around that store....

One of our neighbors, who is friends with my wife, has to be close to 400lbs. She's not this way because of any underlying medical condition; she's like this because she's lazy and stuffs 5 cheeseburgers into her yap at neighborhood BBQ's. From time to time, my kids have helped her unload her groceries, and it's nothing but junk food. I don't have an issue with this though.....if a person wants to live that way and not make it to 50, it's their life. What I take issue with her is the fact that she will use those disability scooters at stores because she's too lazy. She went out and got a handicap tag for her car because she's lazy, and apparently this state gives those tags out to the lazy like water. She has zero issue with any of this; in fact, she's quite proud of it and brags that there's always a close parking spot for her.

You do realize that you can't just waltz down to the DMV and tell them you want one of those cute little handicapped placards, right? You have to have proof of your disability or you don't get one.

I do, and the fact that she has one is only part of the problem at large. According to her, she got a doctor that she knows, to sign off on it for her. This may not be the case for every fat person with a handicap sticker.....it may only be a small minority, but it's out there. THOSE are the 'fat' people I have issue with. I don't (at least I try not to) assume that all fat people are this way, but like I said above, I know this woman.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents for what it is worth are that sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't. There are many things that can contribute to and be caused by that certainly are disabilities. I guess maybe it would make some people feel better to only classify those external conditions as the disability. I definitely feel like there is a strong mental component for a large percentage of morbidly obese people, just as there are for people who are severely underweight.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I think that true obesity that is out of the control of the obese person is rare.

A very large percentage of fat people can make lifestyle changes that can reverse this condition. I am not precluding myself.

I am against giving people special privileges for poor lifestyle choices.

FTR, Vocational Rehabilitation does not "give" people special privileges for poor lifestyle choices. We don't provide a check and are not disability. We help people manage their disability so they can successfully return to work or keep their jobs, and when they do, they return $3+ into the tax structure for every $1 VR spent. So NOT a hand out.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Lots of things can make you disabled. For instance lacking empathy and compassion can stunt your ability to see how horrendously to behave to other human beings. I am sure special modifications are made to accommodate people with these disabilities.

Heavy eye rolling and such.

Oh, I really like you. :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Lots of things can make you disabled. For instance lacking empathy and compassion can stunt your ability to see how horrendously to behave to other human beings. I am sure special modifications are made to accommodate people with these disabilities.

Heavy eye rolling and such.

Yes. I'm undecided about the topic but the lack of empathy is totally distracting. I've gotten so frustrated reading this whole thing because this unteachable OP is impervious to new information and unable to examine her own behavior. Waste of time.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Ever though that the person in the wheelchair maybe got there because they were driving drunk and hit another car and killed three people and wound up in a wheelchair for life? So while you're denigrating the fat person (or society for allowing the fat person to be considered disabled) because they can 'do something about it' guess what -- disabled-by-self-inflicted-idiocy isn't getting an iota of your judgment.

So stop judging. You don't know any underlying facts or stories about the people you're judging usually. Who the eff cares what is in their cart? It's not your place to make them better. You don't know if maybe they've lost 200 pounds and just got injured, need the cart, and are snagging some comfort food for the first time in 6 months or what.

You. Don't. Know. So get off the high horse.

Yes, we're here doing something about ourselves. But we don't know if that person we're judging is or isn't! So just stop.

And from a technical standpoint - yes, being morbidly obese CAN be a disabling situation.

Thread ended with Ed's awesome post anyway :)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    OP

DO me a favor, go load up 160#'s on an Olympic bar hoist it up on your back and go walk a mile. Come back to this thread after and tell me how disabled you feel. Please go try, not trying to be an *kitten* at all, but I think once you feel what the people you are talking about do you might feel differently.

But work up to is really slowly - like 1 pound a month. That's what everyone does as they gain weight. You should be fine once you get there. And by that logic, an overweight person's muscles should be stronger than that of a regular weight person who doesn't lift.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    With regards to thyroid conditions, I found these stats at this website:

http://www.thyroid.org/media-main/about-hypothyroidism/

Prevalence and Impact of Thyroid Disease
    -More than 12 percent of the U.S. population will develop a thyroid condition during their lifetime.
    -An estimated 20 million Americans have some form of thyroid disease.
    -Up to 60 percent of those with thyroid disease are unaware of their condition.
    -Women are five to eight times more likely than men to have thyroid problems.
    -One woman in eight will develop a thyroid disorder during her lifetime.
    -Most thyroid cancers respond to treatment, although a small percentage can be very aggressive.
    -The causes of thyroid problems are largely unknown.
    -Undiagnosed thyroid disease may put patients at risk for certain serious conditions, such as cardiovascular diseases, osteoporosis and infertility.
    -Pregnant women with undiagnosed or inadequately treated hypothyroidism have an increased risk of miscarriage, preterm delivery, and severe developmental problems in their children.
    -Most thyroid diseases are life-long conditions that can be managed with medical attention.

Not everyone can be Ms Fitness Olympia!

I would however agree that depression is not an acceptable excuse for obesity.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    After reading through this thread, anyone can come to two conclusions:

- People who have never been morbidly obese or depressed are choosing to be ignorant and are telling the people who are morbidly obese/depressed that they should just snap out of it.

- People who are/were morbidly obese or depressed know what it is like and say that it is disabling.

People need to learn how to ahve open minds and imagine that it is to be in other people's shoes.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    OP

DO me a favor, go load up 160#'s on an Olympic bar hoist it up on your back and go walk a mile. Come back to this thread after and tell me how disabled you feel. Please go try, not trying to be an *kitten* at all, but I think once you feel what the people you are talking about do you might feel differently.

But work up to is really slowly - like 1 pound a month. That's what everyone does as they gain weight. You should be fine once you get there. And by that logic, an overweight person's muscles should be stronger than that of a regular weight person who doesn't lift.

I think you may have missed the point, I was shooting for the "walk a mile in my shoes" but trying to be creative....
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Last I checked society doesn't force feed junk foods down our throat.. yet... we all make decisions on what to eat..
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I think that being fat can be a "side effect" of a disability. Some disabled people aren't able to be active. Some disabled people are very poor and can't afford to purchase the healthier foods. Yes, the could probably eat less and lose weight, but looking at them and making the assumption that they are obese or fat because they are lazy is wrong in my opinion. Some disabilities are invisible on the outside. That doesn't make that person any less disabled. Just because the girl with what appeared to be CP used crutches didn't make her any more disabled than that fat person who was already using the riding cart. Her disability was just more apparent. Maybe the fat person on the cart had COPD or was in heart failure and on steroids. You can't know, but you judge because they are fat.

One of my friends uses the electric carts constantly. She doesn't have COPD or any other medical issue. She's just fat.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    At 560 lbs. and being home bound for over 2 years and unable to walk from one room to other without sitting on a rolling computer chair to get to the bathroom and kitchen and at my lowest point sitting in a chair with a loaded handgun in my mouth with the hammer back begging and pleading (but no one was in the room cause I was all alone) to give me the strength to end my pain I can honestly say being fat is debilitating, certainly it is all about choice at any point before I got into that state I was a contributing member of society and paid my taxes so when I was at my lowest no matter how I got there, I needed assistance to help get me out so when I finally had enough and wanted that help, I am Damn sure glad the people on the other end were more sympathetic to my position than the mind set you have (not knocking you in particular just people in general that think this way).

I had over 300 pounds to lose, was willing to give in to the process, but needed the help to get there. So my insurance backed me up and got me the things needed to atleast attempt to dig myself out of the hole that I put myself in.. Medical doctors to address my health issues, mental therapist to address my depression and eating disorders, physical therapy to help be exercise to build up my strength to be able to walk again and continue to improve my strength, a dietician to show me what I had been doing and to point me in the right direction to regain my relationship with all foods, etc, etc this list goes on and on. Had I not been afforded those things based on the diagnosis of being disabled at that time I would not have been offered the help and more than likely at the rate I was going would have been dead by now, either by my own hand or do to complication due to my severe morbid obesity. Sometimes it isn't as easy as just calling Bullcrap and saying suck it up buttercup, I am living proof if given the assistance when I was disabled that one can totally change there lives and become productive members of society again and in my opinion that is what it was intended for in the first place not a means to go on and live out your days on it..... Just my 2 cents...

I dont think fat people are not productive members of society at all. As far as judging about the scooters(diff comment), I dont judge by the person, I judge by whats in their cart. I also get upset when I see people pushing their overweight children in the buggies that have the seats on them and you look in their buggy and its full of chips, soda and ice cream. do you think that parent is doing that kid any favors??
    maybe it was someone's birthday.

Hahaha, sure. Maybe it was someone's birthday..... Every. Time. They. Go. Shopping...
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Its an interesting one this - I don't personally think so, because you CAN do something about it. I do happen to think it displays a lot of markers common to eating disorders - especially with the co-morbidity to depression, but again, that's not a reason you can't do something about it.

People always have their reasons for being overweight. It's always a bit sad when they try and blame something else though - yes, it contributes but we always have choice.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    OP

I think you may have missed the point, I was shooting for the "walk a mile in my shoes" but trying to be creative....

Ah, I was actually just trying to lighten the mood. Didn't work so well...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    At 560 lbs. and being home bound for over 2 years and unable to walk from one room to other without sitting on a rolling computer chair to get to the bathroom and kitchen and at my lowest point sitting in a chair with a loaded handgun in my mouth with the hammer back begging and pleading (but no one was in the room cause I was all alone) to give me the strength to end my pain I can honestly say being fat is debilitating, certainly it is all about choice at any point before I got into that state I was a contributing member of society and paid my taxes so when I was at my lowest no matter how I got there, I needed assistance to help get me out so when I finally had enough and wanted that help, I am Damn sure glad the people on the other end were more sympathetic to my position than the mind set you have (not knocking you in particular just people in general that think this way).

I had over 300 pounds to lose, was willing to give in to the process, but needed the help to get there. So my insurance backed me up and got me the things needed to atleast attempt to dig myself out of the hole that I put myself in.. Medical doctors to address my health issues, mental therapist to address my depression and eating disorders, physical therapy to help be exercise to build up my strength to be able to walk again and continue to improve my strength, a dietician to show me what I had been doing and to point me in the right direction to regain my relationship with all foods, etc, etc this list goes on and on. Had I not been afforded those things based on the diagnosis of being disabled at that time I would not have been offered the help and more than likely at the rate I was going would have been dead by now, either by my own hand or do to complication due to my severe morbid obesity. Sometimes it isn't as easy as just calling Bullcrap and saying suck it up buttercup, I am living proof if given the assistance when I was disabled that one can totally change there lives and become productive members of society again and in my opinion that is what it was intended for in the first place not a means to go on and live out your days on it..... Just my 2 cents...

I dont think fat people are not productive members of society at all. As far as judging about the scooters(diff comment), I dont judge by the person, I judge by whats in their cart. I also get upset when I see people pushing their overweight children in the buggies that have the seats on them and you look in their buggy and its full of chips, soda and ice cream. do you think that parent is doing that kid any favors??
    maybe it was someone's birthday.

Hahaha, sure. Maybe it was someone's birthday..... Every. Time. They. Go. Shopping...

Are you judging someone that you shop with on a regular basis? Or are you just judging random strangers?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Really? That is what you got out of that response? Really? :sick:

That explains a lot about you OP.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I would however agree that depression is not an acceptable excuse for obesity.

Someone should smack you for this statement.

That's like saying that someone who has post-traumatic stress disorder is not an acceptable excuse for anxiety.

Or saying that ADHD is not an acceptable excuse to do poorly in school and that person is perfectly capable to keep control over it without any help at all.

You people make me sick. It's no wonder there are so many mentally unstable people slipping through the system and going on wild shooting rampages. It's because everyone else is going "oh, they're fine. they should ust snap out of it and behave like a "normal" human being."

FFS.