Every calorie literally counts right?

Options
Okay so I am obsessed with calorie intake, always have always will. Even if I have 2 french fries or a few sips of a ginger ale I wanna add the calories. Do others do that? I always high ball them though. I understand this obsession started from my teen years and will never leave. But Like say I have 4 sips of a 130 cal drink I add extra cals to my list (ie 40 cals) is that overkill?

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, that does seem excessive to me. Especially in light of your admitted EDs.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Depends on how closely you're logging.

But the real question is, is your logging interfering with your other daily activities? Do you get anxiety problems if you don't log? If that happens, and you really are "obsessed," you might want to consider what's really important in life and whether you're losing perspective on the big picture of living a happy, meaningful, fulfilling life.

But in a casual sense, I can go thru periods where I'm "obsessed" with accuracy. In particular if I'm in a cut phase.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I agree with what has already been said. However, the way I get around not having to log "a sip of ginger ale" or "1 or 2 french fries" is by eating/drinking a serving and logging that instead. One of my pitfalls has always been, oh its just a few m&ms, or I'll just eat one of your fries. I had to stop that behavior. Its not good for me and, like you mentioned, is a pain in the butt to log. So I either plan to eat something, or I don't eat it. No more "bites" or "sips".
  • alexuh
    alexuh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you're so overweight that it's really impacting on your health and life - you should do that because to get where you are you definitely indulged and need to understand the tiny bits of food and snacking throughout the day have added up for you in the past and resulted in your weight gain. If you're normal weight, heck a few pounds overweight and most certainly underweight by any means there is absolutely no need to. You are only creating a negative relationship with food - seeing food as numbers instead of simply a luxury humans should enjoy! It SHOULD be enjoyed and if you want to steal a few damn chips from your friend - do it! :bigsmile: (Just make sure it's not my plate) :blushing:
  • mattack
    mattack Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Doesnt seem obsessive to me, seems like your being honest with yourself.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I decided to log one bite of blueberry pie. 69 calories!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

It is obsessive if you have/have had an eating disorder. And her screenname is "feeling4bones." Her attitude towards calories seems unhealthy, IMO.

Hope you are able to get the help you need, OP. Eating disorders are rough. I would suggest talking to your doctor about your goals.
  • JasonPC2
    JasonPC2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If it's something like a single fry/cracker/chip or whatever I just put it down as a flat 10-30 calories. It's too insignificant to bother looking up the nutrition for that.
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Stella_Mayfair Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Alright read all so far I am getting ppl who are like me and others who are not. All seem good to me. Ty all. I use to have a healthy relationship with food, then I became a preteen etc. And I LOVE food but hate how I feel after I indulge-too much. Food and I are always in a love hate relationship. But ty all.

I prolly will finish my ginger ale, but not at once, lasts all day :)

I even log gum, though I am sure the 45 min walk killed the cals lol. I just need to log almost everything.
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Options

Yes ty:D
  • Igotthatcake
    Igotthatcake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have been at that place where every calorie was counted and then burned off. I can tell you that was one of my unhealthiest places and definitely was one of my dark and loneliest places in my life. I have now joined my fitness pal again mostly because I want to read success stories and for motivation and support. I promised myself I will not log calories again because I don't want to be on that unhealthy path ever again. I just eat clean and indulge time to time, honestly that is a lovely way of living life. I am not trying to tear you down, after all we are all here to support each other,right? But I would be careful because obsessive calorie counting is related to E.D. I would honestly just be careful and be happy and stay healthy!
  • WrkinProg55
    WrkinProg55 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't add my workout burns so that I don't have to worry about counting all the little extras, like a bite for instance while cooking to taste my food. Its so easy to get obsessed with counting calories. In my experience obsession turns into failure. You can find what works for you to balance both you mind and body. :smile:
  • CanadaChick74
    CanadaChick74 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I agree with what has already been said. However, the way I get around not having to log "a sip of ginger ale" or "1 or 2 french fries" is by eating/drinking a serving and logging that instead. One of my pitfalls has always been, oh its just a few m&ms, or I'll just eat one of your fries. I had to stop that behavior. Its not good for me and, like you mentioned, is a pain in the butt to log. So I either plan to eat something, or I don't eat it. No more "bites" or "sips".

Agreed! It's the bite of this and that, or taking a chicken nuggett off my kid's plate that really added up. I try not to sample anymore, unless it's a really active day.
  • keegan2149
    keegan2149 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    One of the best things about sites/apps like this is to get an idea of what you're eating and how it is affecting your health. When I first started I began memorizing the calories in everything so I could log them later. I noticed that the things I wasn't sure about logging were things I probably should stop eating. Snacks in between meals. Spoonfuls of things I shouldn't eat. etc. etc. You should try to eat 3-4 full meals and 2-3 small meals every day and avoid snacking in between. Easier said than done I know.

It's hard to get an accurate idea of portion with things like that unless you measure them so it becomes a hassle after a while. It can also throw off your diet if you over estimate or underestimate the calories. The former will cause your body to crave calories and possibly even slow down your metabolism over time. Both of those can lead to weight gain. It's important to try to find your habits and change them, not just write down everything you eat. (I say this with a log full of pizza and beer..) You also mentioned an eating disorder. You should really get treatment for them if you haven't. Having a database of everything you've eaten and the calorie counts can be overwhelming if you're used to being hard on yourself about your eating habits.

Good Luck!

-K
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Yes, that does seem excessive to me. Especially in light of your admitted EDs.
    I agree. 13+ years of counting every calorie when you know you have EDs is not a good or normal thing.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Considering your username and profile, I am going to leave this here:

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Options
    I tried help, they gave me pills that made me eat more than pot smokers and here I am overweight and mad... I have hit that stupid starvation mode and it ate my muscle. 7 years of toning gone in a crazy 10 day fast. I wish the day I chose not to eat could be reversed. I was never fat, idk life is odd. Now I am in my eyes unless I see my bones
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I tried help, they gave me pills that made me eat more than pot smokers and here I am overweight and mad... I have hit that stupid starvation mode and it ate my muscle. 7 years of toning gone in a crazy 10 day fast. I wish the day I chose not to eat could be reversed. I was never fat, idk life is odd. Now I am in my eyes unless I see my bones

Try help again because you really need it. Nobody here is going to be able to help you address the issues that you are struggling with on a daily basis.

If you go to the link above ^ they have a toll free number you can call (if you are in the US) and a click to chat option. Please seek help.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You didn't eat your muscle in a fast and there is no starvation mode. This site is full of b.s.

I honestly think any doctor would suggest you stay entirely away from this site and others like it, if you want to get better. There are blockers for each browser that you can install to help you not come here.
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Options
    You didn't eat your muscle in a fast and there is no starvation mode. This site is full of b.s.

I honestly think any doctor would suggest you stay entirely away from this site and others like it, if you want to get better. There are blockers for each browser that you can install to help you not come here.

Here is healthier, there are millions of pro eating disorder sites and idw go there. I wanna lose weight the healthy way. No fasting. No competitions with dying women, just "normal" weightloss