GMOs Scary or not?

Options

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Crops and food have been genetically modified since the dawn of agriculture. Have you seen any problems yet?

Not in the same way ...... Selective breading and cross pollination is NOT GMO... GMO is done in the Lab and often entails splicing genes that would NOT naturally occur.. Here lies the potential problems.

Actually, it is the same thing, only faster. Cross breeding and cross pollination is creating genetic mutations that would otherwise not naturally occur. Gene splicing speeds up the process so that it doesn't take generations. As to the point that we haven't seen any issues from modifying crops, I would say history would beg to differ. Look at what happened in Australia when non-native species were introduced. Or at the creation of the Africanized honeybee.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Just because people are illegitimately afraid of something doesn't mean that we shouldn't embrace something that could potentially end world hunger.

Tell starving children that they are going to die because you're afraid they're going to develop cancer from eating food you're throwing away.

Or... be starving yourself, and see how strong your convictions against GMOs are.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Just lol. Should we don our tinfoil hats now or wait a page or two?

I'm in for the "GMOs give me palpitations/migraines" post.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I have to wonder how many people who cry foul about GMOs are willing to give up their medications, vitamins, and vaccinations that were also cooked up in a lab by putting together a bunch of things that don't occur together naturally.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Crops and food have been genetically modified since the dawn of agriculture. Have you seen any problems yet?

You beat me to it.
    And looked better doing so, incidentally.

But it's NOT TRUE

Oh really, you sure about that? Care to prove it?

Because since we started farming the smartest among us have found ways to improve crop yield, grow heartier plants producing more fruit, use seeds that were resistant to rot and do away with the weaker strains, etc. etc.

Which is a good thing. It's kept people alive. It's advanced us as a species.

Now all I see are people who want to strap on their "natural" hat to identify with a cause rallying against something they don't even understand.

SELECTIVE BREADING IS NOT GM

proof

noun
    noun: proof; plural noun: proofs
    1. evidence or argument establishing or helping to establish a fact or the truth of a statement.
    "you will be asked to give proof of your identity"
    synonyms: evidence, verification, corroboration, authentication, confirmation, certification, documentation, validation, attestation, substantiation More
    LAW
    the spoken or written evidence in a trial.
    the action or process of establishing the truth of a statement.
    "it shifts the onus of proof in convictions from the police to the public"
    archaic
    a test or trial.
    a series of stages in the resolution of a mathematical or philosophical problem.

2. a trial print of something, in particular.
    PRINTING
    a trial impression of a page, taken from type or film and used for making corrections before final printing.
    synonyms: page proof, galley proof, galley More
    a trial photographic print made for initial selection.
    each of a number of impressions from an engraved plate, especially (in commercial printing) of a limited number before the ordinary issue is printed and before an inscription or signature is added.
    any of various preliminary impressions of coins struck as specimens.

3. the strength of distilled alcoholic liquor, relative to proof spirit taken as a standard of 100.
    "powerful 132-proof rum"

adjective
    adjective: proof
    1. able to withstand something damaging; resistant.
    "the marine battle armor was proof against most weapons"
    synonyms: resistant to, immune from, unaffected by, invulnerable to, impenetrable by, impervious to, repellent to More

2. denoting a trial impression of a page or printed work.
    "a proof copy is sent up for checking"

verb
    verb: proof; 3rd person present: proofs; past tense: proofed; past participle: proofed; gerund or present participle: proofing
    1. make (fabric) waterproof.
    "the tent is made from proofed nylon"

2. make a proof of (a printed work, engraving, etc.).
    "proofing could be done on a low-cost printer"
    proofread (a text).
    "a book about dinosaurs was being proofed by the publisher"

3.NORTH AMERICAN
    activate (yeast) by the addition of liquid.
    knead (dough) until light and smooth.
    (of dough) prove.
    "shape into a baguette and let proof for a few minutes"

4. MFP
    any false statement typed in all capital letters.
    see also: sticking fingers in ears and yelling, "LALALALALALALALALAI CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!LLALALALALA"
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I have to wonder how many people who cry foul about GMOs are willing to give up their medications, vitamins, and vaccinations that were also cooked up in a lab by putting together a bunch of things that don't occur together naturally.

I believe you're looking for the saying "swallow a camel and choke on a gnat"
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Not Scary.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

You beat me to it.

But it's NOT TRUE

Because since we started farming the smartest among us have found ways to improve crop yield, grow heartier plants producing more fruit, use seeds that were resistant to rot and do away with the weaker strains, etc. etc.

Now all I see are people who want to strap on their "natural" hat to identify with a cause rallying against something they don't even understand.

All caps. The best way to convince others of the intensity of your feels.

yawn

Getting bored with being wrong?
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I no scared.

We're talking about changing the DNA of foods, right? Everyone realizes that darn near everything we eat is either plant or animal, or came from such, and therefore has different DNA, right? How is saying "I'll eat corn A but not corn B, because corn B has different DNA" different from saying "I'll eat corn A but not raspberries B, because raspberries B has different DNA"? Just because someone changed it in a lab? Ok....show me some real proof that, all other things being equal, small differences in the cellular material of foods make my body treat/react to those foods differently, and I'll be happy to change my opinion. But, as of yet, I haven't seen such proof, and to my knowledge it doesn't exist.

That said, I don't feel strongly about labeling of GMOs either way. I'm all for people making their own informed decisions about what's best for themselves and their families, as long as they're not hurting anyone else. I've read and understand the arguments about how labeling will hurt farmers/manufacturers/etc (added expense, the risk that uninformed people won't buy the foods simply because they're scared of the term "GMO," without understanding what it means - note that this doesn't include people who DO understand what it means and make informed decisions), and that's about the only thing that keeps me on the fence about labeling.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

You beat me to it.

But it's NOT TRUE

yawn

I guess you threw your temper tantrum and tired yourself out.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    As a microbiologist with a background in genetics, I think GMOs should probably be tracked, because it is true, GMO manipulation isn't the same thing as selective breeding, and we don't know exactly what will happen in the future. It has similar results as selective breeding, just over a shorter period of time, but the methods themselves are definitely different.

However, I don't think GMOs are scary. They can definitely be useful, and I will definitely eat them until something terrible happens.

Have you ever heard of Golden Rice? The rice has been genetically modified to produce extra Vitamin A to combat preventable blindness and death caused in 3rd world countries by Vitamin A deficiencies. This could help prevent approximately 500,000 cases of blindness every year, as well as reduce immune suppression, anemia, corneal ulcers, and death from malnutrition around the world. Sounds good to me.

http://www.goldenrice.org/Content3-Why/why.php
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Just because people are illegitimately afraid of something doesn't mean that we shouldn't embrace something that could potentially end world hunger.

Tell starving children that they are going to die because you're afraid they're going to develop cancer from eating food you're throwing away.

Or... be starving yourself, and see how strong your convictions against GMOs are.
    :drinker:
    Golden Rice is a great example of this. Children in the developping world are suffering the effects of Vitamin A deficiency, which could be dealt with through the availability of this product. Its infuriating that the same group of individuals who would deny the science in favour of their own political and intellectual predjudices are never the ones who have to suffer the consequences of their ignorant zealotry. Your average GreenPeacer has never faced a child going blind because they aren't gettting enough Vitamin A. The Sierra Club set never has to worry about the availability of a clean, safe, operating room because the availability of Electricity makes it possible to operate at all times of the day, in all climates, with proper climate control and sanitation standards. Yet these same people would deny these things to others, without a second thought as to the real consequences suffered by real people on a daily basis. It makes them feel all warm and fuzzy that they're saving the world from these things that have been sold to them as being 'EVIL' on a purely emotional basis - with nary a scientific fact in sight.

Patrick Moore quit GreenPeace when they abandonned science for politics and propoganda.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

You beat me to it.

But it's NOT TRUE

yawn

Shhh ... they're tired.

Altering the DNA of offspring via selective breeding or in a lab is still altering the DNA. I guess ranting against that simple truth gets exhausting and leads to yelling.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

You beat me to it.

But it's NOT TRUE

yawn

Shhh ... they're tired.

Altering the DNA of offspring via selective breeding or in a lab is still altering the DNA. I guess ranting against that simple truth gets exhausting and leads to yelling.

Yelling is all there is, and while I'm pleased that Golden Rice has been brought up in this thread, I'm afraid that the anti-GMO crowd is impossible to persuade with information. If it was possible then given the amount of available information, they would already be persuaded. All I can do is laugh and point. I can't take them anymore seriously than a 3 year old during a temper tantrum.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Yelling is all there is, and while I'm pleased that Golden Rice has been brought up in this thread, I'm afraid that the anti-GMO crowd is impossible to persuade with information. If it was possible then given the amount of available information, they would already be persuaded. All I can do is laugh and point. I can't take them anymore seriously than a 3 year old during a temper tantrum.

You're probably right. I have anti-vaccine acquaintances, and no matter how often I try to tell them that there is more aluminum in aspirin or baby formula than in vaccines, or that the doctor who said that vaccines cause autism was a quack, or that measles and whooping cough are REALLY REALLY TERRIBLE diseases for a child to have, they still just say "full disclosure!", "I'm not putting those terrible things in my kids." /sigh
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I guess if they want to label they can but I don't think they should. All it will do is scare the uneducated and then raise the price of food that is already getting to expensive.

What the anti GMO crowd does not get is that if it wasn't for GMO corn and such there would be a lot more starvation in the world. First because there wouldn't be as much product available. Secondly because if you think price of corn and meat is high now, if it wasn't for GMO it would be double what it is now. A lot of people wouldn't be able to afford what they could now thanks to GMO corn.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    My dad's a farmer. The way I understand it, if farmers were not raising GMO crops, the world would starve.

With that said if they freak you out, do your own careful label reading and don't eat it. More for me!
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    If you fear genetically modified food, you may have Mark Lynas to thank. By his own reckoning, British environmentalist helped spur the anti-GMO movement in the mid-‘90s, arguing as recently at 2008 that big corporations’ selfish greed would threaten the health of both people and the Earth. Thanks to the efforts of Lynas and people like him, governments around the world—especially in Western Europe, Asia, and Africa—have hobbled GM research, and NGOs like Greenpeace have spurned donations of genetically modified foods.

But Lynas has changed his mind—and he’s not being quiet about it. On Thursday at the Oxford Farming Conference, Lynas delivered a blunt address: He got GMOs wrong. According to the version of his remarks posted online (as yet, there’s no video or transcript of the actual delivery), he opened with a bang:

I want to start with some apologies. For the record, here and upfront, I apologise for having spent several years ripping up GM crops. I am also sorry that I helped to start the anti-GM movement back in the mid 1990s, and that I thereby assisted in demonising an important technological option which can be used to benefit the environment.

As an environmentalist, and someone who believes that everyone in this world has a right to a healthy and nutritious diet of their choosing, I could not have chosen a more counter-productive path. I now regret it completely.

So I guess you’ll be wondering—what happened between 1995 and now that made me not only change my mind but come here and admit it? Well, the answer is fairly simple: I discovered science, and in the process I hope I became a better environmentalist.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/01/03/mark_lynas_environmentalist_who_opposed_gmos_admits_he_was_wrong.html