Is being fat a disability??

Options

Replies

• LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Do people really think putting "I'm sorry" in front of a jerky comment, makes the comment less jerky?

Of course, it's like "with all due respect".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af-Id_fuXFA

Or "God bless".

or "no offense"
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Do people really think putting "I'm sorry" in front of a jerky comment, makes the comment less jerky?

Or "God bless".

or "no offense"

Some southerners like to say Bless Your Heart...some people don't get that's actually an insult. I hate it when I hear it.
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Or "God bless".

or "no offense"

Some southerners like to say Bless Your Heart...some people don't get that's actually an insult. I hate it when I hear it.

hahaha true
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    When someone has a baby, they take FMLA leave. Getting pregnant is (for most people) a conscious decision someone has made. They aren't denied FMLA because they "did it to themselves". So, even if you want to argue that a person is obese because they "did it to themselves", that is no reason to specifically deny them FMLA for now being obese.

Further FMLA is paid from benefits already accrued by the individual - their vacation and sick time. It isn't as if the company are forced to pay the person a salary and have them accrue further benefits for the time they are off. So the only cost to the company is finding someone to do the job while the person is on FMLA, and having a job for them when they get back.

Finally, allowing someone who is obese (and has no other medical conditions) to take a leave so they can address their obesity (going to a "fat farm" perhaps? I can't quite picture what else they would need FMLA for in the absence of other necessary medical procedures) will possibly prevent them from getting complications of the obesity further down the road. That will save the company (and the health insurance) money in the long run.

And finally (again)... isn't it the compassionate thing to do? If someone comes to me and says they need to use FMLA, isn't the right thing to do to try and get it for them and not try to second guess their medical or other conditions? Or does the Hobby Lobby decision mean that company busy bodies get to decide appropriate (non)treatments for everyone now?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Or "God bless".

or "no offense"

hahaha true

I find it funny when used sarcastically
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    When someone has a baby, they take FMLA leave. Getting pregnant is (for most people) a conscious decision someone has made. They aren't denied FMLA because they "did it to themselves". So, even if you want to argue that a person is obese because they "did it to themselves", that is no reason to specifically deny them FMLA for now being obese.

Further FMLA is paid from benefits already accrued by the individual - their vacation and sick time. It isn't as if the company are forced to pay the person a salary and have them accrue further benefits for the time they are off. So the only cost to the company is finding someone to do the job while the person is on FMLA, and having a job for them when they get back.

Finally, allowing someone who is obese (and has no other medical conditions) to take a leave so they can address their obesity (going to a "fat farm" perhaps? I can't quite picture what else they would need FMLA for in the absence of other necessary medical procedures) will possibly prevent them from getting complications of the obesity further down the road. That will save the company (and the health insurance) money in the long run.

And finally (again)... isn't it the compassionate thing to do? If someone comes to me and says they need to use FMLA, isn't the right thing to do to try and get it for them and not try to second guess their medical or other conditions? Or does the Hobby Lobby decision mean that company busy bodies get to decide appropriate (non)treatments for everyone now?

Evidently compassion is over rated. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    (not serious in case someone misses it...)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Or "God bless".

or "no offense"

THAT'S the one I was thinking of. Haha. First heard it watching Steel Magnolias.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I think, it can cause you to become disabled. disablilities can contribute to being overweight. But no, being obese is NOT a disability
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Or "God bless".

and
    "Bless your soul."
    "That's a good christian right there."
    "At least you're pretty."

Granted, the last two are pretty mean and blatant about it. ;)
  • cljones302
    cljones302 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Someone is applying logic to an internet thread - the trolls of the world will be upset. I am not a troll, so I +1 this response.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Ok let me go a little different way....I think when you get disabilty...you can also get food stamps I THINK.....if that is the case...should the food you can get with that assistance be monitored?? I know with pregnant women who get WIC, they have to only get certain things and its all healthy such as they have to get natural cereals and nothing with sugar.....

Okay, you're just prying at that can of worms again, aren't you?

I am really not trying to....do I just need to shut the **** up???

Yes.

And this is why:

When a person gets SSDI (disability), they have to prove medically that they have a disability. They have provided medical records, been to medical or mental health professionals, sat in front of a judge, probably hired a lawyer, and proved beyond a shadow of a doubt they are disabled and cannot work. And yes, SSDI does open the door for several other programs, including SNAP, Vocational Rehabilitation HUD, etc. But people who receive SSDI have spent easily 2-3 years proving they are disabled. It is not an easy process in any way, shape, or form. So yes, you should STFU because obviously you have never worked within the system and have zero idea of what you are speaking.

Well, that puts my fears to rest, knowing that the system is foolproof, and no-one could ever possibly game the system to their advantage.

Any system can be gamed. Student Loans are gamed all the time. However, they are never really brought into question.

Can you enlighten me as to how this is done? For research purposes only lolol

You've never known anybody who "went to school" for the six years they spent drunk?

Oh. I don't care about that. I thought it was being stated that there was a way you could get out of paying them back.

Nevermind. LOL. Carry on.
  • sarvalfon
    sarvalfon Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You're right. We don't know other peoples' battles. That's why I said it doesn't merit judgement, in that respect. I just don't agree with the idea that "obesity" should be cited as cause for being disabled. If anything, it's a side effect of illness or some other cause.
  • sarvalfon
    sarvalfon Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Getting fat takes work. It's a choice.
    Getting un-fat takes work. It's a choice, too.

Being fat is not a disability. It is not something that just happens.
    It doesn't merit judgement - everyone is who they are (for the most part) based on their own decisions, and if someone decides to eat overly processed, unhealthy foods, that's their choice. Those choices should not be made the responsibility of the global public, however, in being deemed "disability".

Society is cruel. It always has been. There is also, I think, a certain level of respect for those who make the effort to better themselves - in whatever regard.

Yes, but when we see someone out and about in most situations, how can we tell if they are or are not bettering themselves? You have no idea where a person is on their health journey (on the way up or down) just based on one fleeting interaction in public.

Someone might judge me for driving through the McD's drive thru one day - but what they don't know is that maybe I'm coming off working a 14 hour event, and haven't eaten since 6am. I'm on a ketogenic diet, so I'm buying some McDoubles and throwing the bun away, and staying within my diet's parameters.

But all you Judge-y McJudgersons are likely thinking "If she doesn't watch out, she's going to full-on pork-out, instead of just being chubby".

I was 260 at my highest, and I'm at 210 now. At 208, I am no longer obese (I'm 5'10")

You're right. We don't know other peoples' battles. That's why I said it doesn't merit judgement, in that respect. I just don't agree with the idea that "obesity" should be cited as cause for being disabled. If anything, it's a side effect of illness or some other cause.
  • LazerMole
    LazerMole Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My aunt's knee replacement was due to her obesity. Her disability was caused by her obesity. I mean, yes, the surgery to fix her knee led to her temporary disability, if we want to split hairs, but in the end, her temporary disability would not have occurred if she hadn't been obese.

She's lost almost 200 pounds since then. So there's that.
  • angiesammich
    angiesammich Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Being overweight in itelf is not a disability. But being morbidly obeses, which I was at 386 pounds, was beginning to cause some disabilities, and if left unchecked,would have put me in a wheelchair with everything that entails. So yes, obesity can lead to disability.

That said, for the morbidly obese, sometimes diet and exercise alone are not enough to get the weight off and taking it off is not a fast process. I think we all need to remember that although obesity in itself isn't a disability, it does cause both physical and emotional disabilities and we need to be sensitive to that. Anyone who has been or is fat/obese already knows how much of a stigma it is in society. Let's not make it worse by being judgmental.

I love this! Thank you!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I just don't agree with the idea that "obesity" should be cited as cause for being disabled. If anything, it's a side effect of illness or some other cause.

Pre-empted by legal definitions. Disagreement is noted and logged. Legal definitions not overturned. <eos>
  • Janlo26
    Janlo26 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    First, we have to define "fat". My definition of that word is obese, not just chubby. Some people carry more weight than others; the people who are happy, healthy, rotund and don't want to lose weight and are not fat in my book. People who are unhappy with the "extra" weight they carry and those who are identified medically as obese are, in my opinion, fat.

Having said that, being fat is a symptom, not a cause. Therefore, IMHO being fat is not a disability in itself. The underlying cause of being fat is the disability. We tend to see the physical and think that's all there is to the situation. Most people who think they are fat have some sort of mental issue or illness that needs to be dealt with or managed in a more healthy way. Whether the person's eating disorder makes them over weight or under weight, he or she needs support to develop a healthier relationship with food.

It's only when we start to look at mental illnesses the same way we look at physical ones that the people suffering from them will get the help and support they need to manage their illnesses.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    The world does not contain the necessary amount of salve to treat all the butthurt in this thread.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    If you're overweight you can change that. It might require actions you're unable or unwilling to take, but it's doable.

If you're depressed, in many cases you can receive treatment to either surpress or eliminate the issue.

Unfortunately...if you're a dumbass...that kind of sticks with you.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You are responsible for your own actions. Period. Full stop. End of story.

really?

72xgYkk_zps11afde28.gif
    ily:heart: