GIANT problem with food database

Options
2»

Replies

• pmowers
    pmowers Posts: 10
    Options
    I disagree, I've used other apps and they don;t have the variety or flexibility. All you need to do is confirm what it's saying and you're good, if not add your own. Also if you look for items that have been confirmed by others you can weed ut ones that are inaccurate.
    +!^
    At least MFP will help you vett the material by giving you the opportunity to check the nutritional information, many apps require you to add it before you can see what the numbers are. You can also "vote down" the inaccurate information. Working with data all day, GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) reigns supreme. Yes, it would be nice if there was only one entry for each item, but that is not realistic. I just recently looked at a food item, which had a full container listed as 310 g., about 2 servings. The manf. has shorted the packaging to 250 g, but left it as about 2 servings. It is not the fault of MFP that they did not have the same listing, but the calories per cup are the same. It was not until I checked that I realized that manufacturer is now selling 80% as much for the same price. Should that entry be flagged- no, many people may still have the product on the shelf at the older weight. Relying on the new numbers may mean that they are eating an additional 100 calories with the older package.
  • Chazerc
    Chazerc Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree. I used the app a couple of years ago, and would have agreed with you at that point.

But now I have used the app for 100 straight days and had maybe 10 items that scanned incorrectly or needed updated information. The database is pretty spot-on, with a few exceptions.
  • Chazerc
    Chazerc Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I wish I could "like" ksy1969's post. haha
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    "Is this information accurate?" NO

Edit - fix problem.

Now the food is saved in "my foods" forever, so you can quickly access it.

BOOM.
  • hj1119
    hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    "Is this information accurate?" NO

Edit - fix problem.

Now the food is saved in "my foods" forever, so you can quickly access it.

BOOM.

This doesn't work for the mobile app. Only on the computer.

So what I do is whenever I eat something for the first time, i use the computer. After that, I can use the app to quickly add entries from my past because I tend to eat the same meats veg and oils regularly.

Dear OP, it's called personal accountability. Have some. The app is a tool, not your own personal "do it for meeeeee" solution.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    little personal accountability and common sense goes a long way.

Over estimate your food- underestimate your workouts- keep your deficit.

If you think the burger really is 10 calories- or you can't find a better entry- do some research and make a better selection or enter your own.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    little personal accountability and common sense goes a long way.

Over estimate your food- underestimate your workouts- keep your deficit.

If you think the burger really is 10 calories- or you can't find a better entry- do some research and make a better selection or enter your own.

Yes, some logic goes far. The database is fine, users who understand how it functions make it work for them.
  • emilyGPK
    emilyGPK Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It would be nice to have any easy way to report inaccurate listings. But IMHO it is not to difficult to spot the ones that are way off.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Bell - Red Peppers, 1 cup chopped (149 g) 46 9 0 2 3 1
    Fresh - Veggie - Yellow Bell Pepper - Chopped, 1 cup 40 9 0 0 4 0
    Peppers - Sweet, green, raw, 1 cup, chopped 30 7 0 1 3 1

So, if you are trying for a deficit, eat green. Trying for a bulk eat red. Green 30 calories, yellow 40 calories, and red 46 calories. Simple.
  • greeneyes972
    Options
    I'll usually google the item I'm having and see what the actual calories are... if I can't find it on google (which is rare) i'll see what's in the MFP database and pick the one with the highest calories. For example, if I was at whataburger and looked in the database and saw a cheeseburger with 10 calories i would laugh, shake my head, and pick the option with the highest caloric content.
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this has been pointed out- if so, I apologize for the repeat.

If you're using the PC to access MFP, take a moment to glance at the list after you've enter a specific food. For foods like vegetables, fruits, meats, anything raw or basic, MFP has an entry that THEY put it themselves. You will note them because they don't have an astrik (*) beside the name like most other options. This means it's been entered by MFP and is accurate. Unfortunately you can't see the astrik on a phone app. I try to use those when I can find them. If I can't, then I do as others have suggested: I either scan the barcode with my phone, enter/check the info on from the label, or find the one I feel is most accurate.

Good luck!