Replies

• viggie
    viggie Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Bump And thank you
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Options
    I've sort of been operating under this assumption and not eating back all of my exercise cals if I wasn't hungry so it's nice to know that's OK.

Thanks! :)
  • kbairdphillips
    kbairdphillips Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. Great post!
  • kbairdphillips
    kbairdphillips Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Great post! Printed and saved.
  • limestar
    limestar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    thanks very helpful.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    That's amazing.

How would the information you presented translate for someone who is not far out of weight range but has significantly higher body fat than desired? I'm 5'3, 149 pounds, and roughly 28% body fat. I'm currently running a 500 calorie deficit plus around 300 calories a day of exercise (which I do eat back for the most part) and my MFP calculated BMR is ~1760. I'm following the MFP recommended macronutrient ratios - not sure if that's of much consequence but I thought I'd throw it out there.

What am I looking at, calorie and macronutrient wise, for optimum weight loss? I'm looking to get down to 135, ideally 130 if I can maintain it and somewhere in the low 20's for body fat. I think, I've never been that small so I'm guessing on both fronts but I know I want to lose both weight and fat. Help!

Robin, you rock :)

I'm in the same boat. I'm at about 31% body fat and would like to get down to the low twenties (20-22%) myself. I'm 5'7 and 135 pounds roughly so I don't have a lot of 'weight' to lose so much as I have to build more muscle and get rid of more fat. I'm really at a point where I'm not 100 percent confident about how to start and proceed.

I've started aiming for a 1/2 pound per week loss, working out five days a week and changed my dietary goals slightly to have more of a balance of protein and carbs. However, I'm really flying blind here and have no idea if I'm doing the right thing or not....
  • Huskychemist
    Huskychemist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Great post. I appreciate that you took the research article and distilled it for us. I also appreciate that you cited your source. Thanks.
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Bump and Thanks! :smile:
  • Scubasab
    Scubasab Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Robin, thank you for making the following post. It was beautifully written and a wonderful source of information. The funny thing is..I was just talking to somone about this very thing this morning. We both had heard different things and I was actually going to google this but, now you saved me the time and provided me with all the answers I need!!! Thanks so much!!!! =):flowerforyou:
  • t7mitch
    t7mitch Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Robin,
    Some very enlightening information. One question I have is that I need to lose about 50 lbs. Right now, I am averaging about 1,200 calories a day... I exercise pretty vigorously and I weight train pretty hard. Do I need to up my caloric intake. The funny thing is I don't feel like I'm depriving myself because I'm eating grilled chicken, veggies, etc... What do you think?
  • freddiesmyfirst
    Options
    Excellent, informative post. Thank you.
  • tarapin
    tarapin Posts: 169
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing this information.....very interesting!
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post! :)
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    That's amazing.

How would the information you presented translate for someone who is not far out of weight range but has significantly higher body fat than desired? I'm 5'3, 149 pounds, and roughly 28% body fat. I'm currently running a 500 calorie deficit plus around 300 calories a day of exercise (which I do eat back for the most part) and my MFP calculated BMR is ~1760. I'm following the MFP recommended macronutrient ratios - not sure if that's of much consequence but I thought I'd throw it out there.

What am I looking at, calorie and macronutrient wise, for optimum weight loss? I'm looking to get down to 135, ideally 130 if I can maintain it and somewhere in the low 20's for body fat. I think, I've never been that small so I'm guessing on both fronts but I know I want to lose both weight and fat. Help!

Robin, you rock :)

I'm in the same boat. I'm at about 31% body fat and would like to get down to the low twenties (20-22%) myself. I'm 5'7 and 135 pounds roughly so I don't have a lot of 'weight' to lose so much as I have to build more muscle and get rid of more fat. I'm really at a point where I'm not 100 percent confident about how to start and proceed.

I've started aiming for a 1/2 pound per week loss, working out five days a week and changed my dietary goals slightly to have more of a balance of protein and carbs. However, I'm really flying blind here and have no idea if I'm doing the right thing or not....

I'm also in a similar situation. I'm 5'7'' and about 150 pounds. I am around 28% body fat, if I remember correctly. I'd really like to lose about 15-20 pounds and get down to at least 20% body fat. I'm also not confident about how to proceed.

I've started aiming for 1.5 pound per week loss. The reason for this is because I originally wanted to try and be as close to my goal as I could by Spring Break in March. I'm going to Florida and I'd really like to feel comfortable in a bikini.

So I'll ask the same question: How should I proceed with caloric intake and exercise??

Thank you so much!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Bump & thank you!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Great post! I've always heard that people with less to lose need to be careful about their deficits (and should *not* be aiming for 2 lbs/week loss!) - it makes sense to me but I didn't know much of the technical "why" behind it. This will be a great post to refer people to when this topic comes up.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    Sorry double post!