Grrr! Rant!

Options
Does anyone else have a family like this?

My mom tries to pressure me into eating anytime there is food made at her house. Being that we're a Hispanic family and my mom doesn't know the first thing about nutrition it's mostly unhealthy food so I always have to politely decline. She then proceeds to get mad at me for refusing the food (big nono for my mom) and just goes on about dieting. Thing is that this really bothers me because I'm not viewing my eating habits as a diet but as a lifestyle change. Sorry I don't want to waste my workout that kicked my butt! Sorry that I don't want to be unhealthy! Grrrrr... okay I feel better lol.

Replies

• tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    My mom has learned to ask if I eat certain foods. LOL She knows how hard I've worked for my weight loss and wants me to quit now but I've still got some more lbs to lose and she's good with it. I guess I'm lucky
  • moniduh
    moniduh Posts: 100
    Options
    My mom has learned to ask if I eat certain foods. LOL She knows how hard I've worked for my weight loss and wants me to quit now but I've still got some more lbs to lose and she's good with it. I guess I'm lucky

Hmm.. maybe I should just talk to her about it then. Hopefully she'll be understanding and supportive like your mom :) Thanks
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    What does being Hispanic have to do with it?

There is such a thing as eating in moderation.
  • moniduh
    Options
    I was referring to the fact that most of our home made food is leaking grease basically.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    What does being Hispanic have to do with it?

There is such a thing as eating in moderation.
    ^^^This.

You can eat anything in moderation & lose weight. Just learn proper portion control.

The Sexypants post should be required reading for all MFPers: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Breena_Bean5
    Breena_Bean5 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Why not eat small portions? Grab a small plate or bowl and eat something, it's not gonna take everything you've worked so hard for away!! Everything is okay to eat so long as it's in moderation AND you portion correctly :wink:
  • riirii93_
    riirii93_ Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Being that we're a Hispanic family and my mom doesn't know the first thing about nutrition it's mostly unhealthy food

Just because your family feeds you unhealthy, greasy food doesn't mean every hispanic family does. Don't make ignorant generalizations. Hispanic food can be extremely healthful and I've lost weight eating it almost every day of the week. Maybe you can ask her to make less greasy dishes. I'm sure you know there are plenty that are low in fat!
  • Red_sparkling_Titania
    Options
    Being that we're a Hispanic family and my mom doesn't know the first thing about nutrition it's mostly unhealthy food

Just because your family feeds you unhealthy, greasy food doesn't mean every hispanic family does. Don't make ignorant generalizations. Hispanic food can be extremely healthful and I've lost weight eating it almost every day of the week.

this.gif
    @riirii93 I agree with you.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I have had to move back with my family and it's been a struggle. My mum thinks gluten free makes people skinny, that's her kinda knowledge, worst of all she is a nurse. She doesn't respect what I need, I only lose on keeping my carbs quite low, not too much starch, and keeping my food clean most of the time, or I stall weight loss for a week! (don't want a debate about clean vs not clean here). I am jobless so I have to eat what she buys. She may get me a bag of salad a week, and a few carrots and apples. So yeah, I am so with you.

She also tells me I am selfish for wanting to eat the way I want to eat. My Father is silent on the matter and my brother likes to offer me chocolate and icecream almost everyday.

ETA: Just relating and ranting right back haha.
  • Michelle8683
    Options

Just because your family feeds you unhealthy, greasy food doesn't mean every hispanic family does. Don't make ignorant generalizations. Hispanic food can be extremely healthful and I've lost weight eating it almost every day of the week. Maybe you can ask her to make less greasy dishes. I'm sure you know there are plenty that are low in fat!

She was talking about HER family. You don't have to be mean. Generally hispanics eat things like burritos and cheesy stuff, I'm not saying that's the ONLY food they eat or make, but in my experience they eat that a lot.
  • moniduh
    Options
    Woah people lol I wasn't trying to bash Hispanics in general I was just referring to my family. I have a hard time with portion control still around good food but maybe it's an acquired skill lol anyone have any suggestions on how to fill up but still stay within portion range?
  • moniduh
    Options

She was talking about HER family. You don't have to be mean. Generally hispanics eat things like burritos and cheesy stuff, I'm not saying that's the ONLY food they eat or make, but in my experience they eat that a lot.

Thanks for understanding what I was actually trying to say lol.. kinda hard to phrase what I want to say with my phone and a scatter brain :p
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with portion control still around good food but maybe it's an acquired skill lol anyone have any suggestions on how to fill up but still stay within portion range?
    I'm less hungry when I use MFP's protein & fiber goals as minimums, and ignore fat & carbs. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Eat a butt load of vegetables.

Have a sit down talk with your mum about what you want and how important it is to you.
    It will be so much more difficult if you can't get your family to support you, so be kind and understand why they might have trouble with any changes.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I'm less hungry when I use MFP's protein & fiber goals as minimums, and ignore fat & carbs. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.

You can change your Macros on here. In fact it sounds like you should. Customise your goals up your Protein Percentage.
  • gringuitica
    gringuitica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Eat a butt load of vegetables.

This. If you want to enjoy some of your mom's cooking, just go for small portions of the dripping-grease stuff, then round out your plate with lots of low-cal but filling veggies. It depends on your family's origins, but I'm betting there are plenty of options. Where I live (Costa Rica), for example, you would do well with picadillo de chayote (squash succotash) and cabbage salad with a squirt of lemon — both very traditional, but great for filling up without overdoing it.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Try not to make it your goal to "fill up". Maybe go over there with a clear idea of how much you can eat of what. Don't go there hoping to *fill up*. Maybe take a dish with you. I'm not saying that you should take your own food but that you could take a dish that you know someone or everyone else will enjoy, maybe it will take the focus off you. I'm sure that the whole get together is t all about you anyway. So plan what you will say and how you will feel in different scenarios. This is an alternative to talking with your mom which is essentially planning how she should think, what she should say and how she should behave. You can't change her.

I've been in your shoes. I've maintained for almost two years now, and at times I've found it easy to be in charge of what I eat. I have allowed myself to be hungry even and it's an alien feeling because I eat a lot! It gets easier with practice. Lately I have found myself blaming other circumstances for over eating.... In kind of sliding backwards a bit. Although I haven't gained much yet, I will if I keep up this lazy thinking. But I won't. I know I can control what I eat, especially because I've done it before. Success is inside us. You will have more success if you change you, rather than the people around you.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have a family like this?

My mom tries to pressure me into eating anytime there is food made at her house. Being that we're a Hispanic family and my mom doesn't know the first thing about nutrition it's mostly unhealthy food so I always have to politely decline. She then proceeds to get mad at me for refusing the food (big nono for my mom) and just goes on about dieting. Thing is that this really bothers me because I'm not viewing my eating habits as a diet but as a lifestyle change. Sorry I don't want to waste my workout that kicked my butt! Sorry that I don't want to be unhealthy! Grrrrr... okay I feel better lol.

Your not going to change her, so change your self.
    Create a plan of when your going over there.
    Plan on working out every day, twice a day.
    Plan on burning 500 calories every session. That's 1000 calories burned.
    Plan on drinking 2-3 gups of water for every teaspoon you eat.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have had to move back with my family and it's been a struggle. My mum thinks gluten free makes people skinny, that's her kinda knowledge, worst of all she is a nurse. She doesn't respect what I need, I only lose on keeping my carbs quite low, not too much starch, and keeping my food clean most of the time, or I stall weight loss for a week! (don't want a debate about clean vs not clean here). I am jobless so I have to eat what she buys. She may get me a bag of salad a week, and a few carrots and apples. So yeah, I am so with you.

She also tells me I am selfish for wanting to eat the way I want to eat. My Father is silent on the matter and my brother likes to offer me chocolate and icecream almost everyday.

ETA: Just relating and ranting right back haha.

I eat kind of similar(low carbs, but high fat and moderate protein) and my hubs and I live with my mother-in-law. However, there is a good system in place that assures I get the food I need. I clean the kitchen and the bathroom from top to bottom every Sat or Sun. That basically guarantees that I can go shopping with my mother-in-law and get the foods I need for my way of eating. Maybe develop some sort of bartering method with your mother?
  • haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My parents are pushy with food in general.They know I'm counting calories now. Just last week my dad and my mother came to visit unannounced, and wanted to go to Subway. So I went with them, but I didn't eat my sub because I had already eaten lunch. They gave me grief for not eating with them. I put it in the fridge, and talked them into going to the beech for a walk. On our way there, he pulls into the gas station without saying anything and buys Ice Cream bars for us. I told him there's no way I'm eating that, and he replies with:" You are now. It's not going to go to waste." ...I didn't eat it so my dad ate two. lol

I'm strong enough to just tell that how it's going to be, and not worry about what they think. I know that It's just how they are. Always offering seconds & thirds at the dinner table, and offering snacks, desserts, or treats 30 minutes after finishing a big meal. I recall when I was a kid that my old man would not let us get up from the table until we finished absolutely everything on our plates; that they had filled themselves. I don't take it personally. They just grew up in a different time when things were tight, and families were bigger. If you had any extra then you ate it whether you wanted it or not, so as not to appear ungrateful. My dads parents had 13 kids. lol

It's a little surprising that I was thin until I hit my thirties.lol