PCOS Success stories...

Options
124»

Replies

• beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Great to hear so many success stories from people who have battled through PCOS. Congrats to you all! I'm particularly interested to hear how many people have had success with lowering carbs. In the past, I've been able to lose ~15lbs, but would hit a long hard wall then, which some suggested might be due to my PCOS. I'm now trying lowering my carbs to <40%, and am hoping that it'll help me get past that wall!
  • HPS_AtLarge
    HPS_AtLarge Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's wonderful to read all of these. I've been struggling with my weight for years, and I'm finally trying to get serious about it. I never looked my weight, so when I was 160 lbs, I looked like I was 130. I gained rapidly to 215 though six years ago, because the doctors tried putting me on one birth control after another to try to help the PCOS without giving me breaks. They put me on Metformin, and I couldn't stop eating, which was weird. I lost weight and hit 189, but shot back to where I've been for a while now, which is 233, because of a depressive episode.

Husband and I are trying to conceive, but know we can't until I lose more weight. Reading these has been inspirational, and I think it's a good kick to the butt to get serious!
  • WatchJenShrink
    WatchJenShrink Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS years ago. After years of being barely successful with weight loss, I decided to go see a doctor that specializes in weight loss especially in people with metabolic disorders. She diagnosed me with hypothyroidism as well. I started on a low carb plan on May 14th of this year and have lost 31 pounds in two months. (without exercising) I've now started adding in exercise since I feel better and hope it will accelerate my weight loss. You can do this!
  • spazmother0727
    spazmother0727 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I was diagnosed with PCOS in March 2008. At that time I weighed 240 pounds. After taking birth control pills and metformin I lost 40 pounds. I lingered at 200 pounds until August 2010. I started losing weight a the end of August 2010 and by March 2011 I was 136 pounds. I seem to bound back and forth between 127 and 134 pounds for the last 2 years. I am trying hard to keep the weight off and keep the PCOS symptoms at bay. I have not been on metformin since March 2011 because my OBGYN believed I no longer needed it because my blood sugar was stable and I was at a healthy weight. So, I have been able to keep the weight off since March 2011. This is the longest time I have been at a normal weight.

You will be successful!
  • Starqz
    Starqz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    PCOS, Type II Diabetes, Asthmatic, etc.. I've lost almost 100 lbs. You can do it. You just have to eat/exercise correctly. I keep my carb intake below 75 a day. Every now and then I will allow myself more IF I do that much more at the gym. I try to stay away from chips, breads, potatoes, sodas, and most rice. It was hard at first, but now I don't even have a craving for them anymore. Stepping away from all of that has always helped my skin to clear up. I've noticed that I no longer feel lethargic most of the time. I get 30 - 45 minutes of exercise most days of the week.

You can do it :)
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to call myself a success until I have a successful pregnancy. I do have PCOS and my goal was to drop 100 lbs, from 230-130lbs. I'm at 141 lbs currently so I'm very close to that goal. I have been given the okay to try for a baby, even though I'm high risk (7 miscarries in the past) my doctor and I are confident I will be able to carry this time, but we shall see. I have 3 weeks of birth control left before trying.

My journey I feel has been long, its taken me over 2 years to get to a healthy BMI. I did fall off the wagon a couple times, which I gained back a few lbs, but I picked myself back up and get my head in the game. There was a few plateaus as well in which I didn't loose anything for a month or 2 straight despite my diet and exercise I was doing. I eventually got past those plateau's despite the frustration it gave me I stuck too it. I honestly have never been skinny my entire teen/adult life, so once I got below a size 14, I had to buy all new clothes. I cried in the fitting room when I put on my first pair of size 8 jeans! I never imagined I'd be in the single digits ever! I do occasionally find myself wandering over to the plus size clothing area out of old habit and then I remind myself, I'm not plus size anymore. lol I do think I'm fat mentally until I see a picture or reflection, then I'm just like wow I look amazing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!