Men: how much does a woman's weight really matter?

Options

Replies

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    appearance matters quite a bit in attraction so naturally weight goes along with that

but honestly Ive never had a problem dating who I wanted when I wanted at a size 14-13 so I do not think you should have a problem with that

pretty girl OP do not let anyone else make you feel different
  • GuineaPiglet
    GuineaPiglet Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Attraction does matter....but....as far as the weight issue, taking a gander at your pics...you are one hot momma. Seriously, you are proportioned and gorgeous. In your case, I really don't think it's the weight unless you've had the misfortune of finding man after man only attracted to one certain willowy thin body type.

I'm really not trying to be rude here, but this is the problem with women talking for men.

The OP is gorgeous IMO, proportioned, but based off her pictures she's a larger woman. Some men would love that, but the facts are a lot of men would not. Some men just will never be attracted to larger women. It does not mean that the men who prefer a smaller woman are only attracted to a "willowy thin body type". There is a lot of variety in shape and size between a size 14 and a size 0 (though of course most of us don't think in terms of women's sizes). In my experience too many women tend to hype each other up by talking FOR men. You can't speak for a single man, much less what men in general like. We're just as varied in our attractions as women are.

Another thing with the OP is that her face is slimmer than her body. If I saw a picture of her on a dating site I would assume she was a pretty svelte woman. Perhaps one of the reasons she's having trouble landing a second date is that she appears smaller in her pictures than what some of these men expect when they see her in person. They're going on a date expecting to see this slim, gorgeous blonde and are perhaps a bit disappointed that her body doesn't match their assumptions based off her lean face.

No worries, I didn't find it rude. I wasn't trying to necessarily speak for all men, it's just in my experience I have found that most men I personally know date a range of body types from small to well proportioned women who might be considered a bit on the larger side. That's not to say that they all will date anything from a size 0 to a size 14 because that's not true at all. A lot of men do prefer women on the smaller side of things.....which from what it sounds like you agree with me on and is the basis of your reply. Some men prefer bigger women only.....the list of personal preferences goes on and on. You are right that I shouldn't speak for all men on this, especially considering she is looking for a specific type of man....professional, educated, funny etc.....but I'm assuming her body type was part of her profile. It could very well be she's attracting a lot of men who are only attracted to smaller women if she's using a face only picture. I'm making the assumption she's given an honest description of herself in her profile. Again....not trying to hype her up or try to speak for men, but she's clearly very attractive and it doesn't make much sense that she would be striking out on each and every date she goes on based on weight alone given that every man on earth is not looking for a thin woman.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    On Tinder guys even messsage me saying why would they meet me because im fat. But then why would they say yes to my profile in the first place

57147439.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

They are *kitten*. Seriously.
  • meddy78
    meddy78 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have had a recent foray into online dating, and I am currently size 14. I am confident in myself, as I feel that I am pretty attractive and accomplished regardless of my weight. However, I notice that not getting much response from men in terms of second dates at the least, or a sense of excitement if there is a second date as I do when I'm even at a size 12. My girlfriends insist that weight isn't that big a deal in and if itself... But I don't buy it. When it comes to professional, educated men, does weight truly trump all else when it comes to dating? Am I just wasting my time even putting myself out there up until I'm back to a size 6-8?

Let me take a different approach. In my experience, judging by my current and former clients and colleagues, yes. The razor thin, yoga taking, hot housewife is a bit of a stereotype for a reason. Of course, most of the ones I know have professional degrees themselves and bring a hell of a lot more to the table than looks. But, you have to ask yourself, why is dating an educated and professional man so important to you? Would a sincere, caring, and intelligent fireman really be all that bad? One of the wisest and loving friends I have is an EMT, and he definitely has life figured out. He simply doesn't care about money. What are you bringing to the table in terms of education and career potential? My wife and I were married young, went to school together, got fat together, and got fit together. You have to find someone that fits you in ways that these online dating wish lists don't seem to drill down into. Just keep at it and keep an open mind, and don't be afraid to ask yourself the same questions that you're asking this community.

I actually dated a firefighter a few years ago. Had he been more intelligent and less of a womanizer, I might have dated him longer. He was awfully good-lookin'! So... You and your wife helped each other through college, huh? That's sweet.

Oh, and just a quick reminder... Pretty sure I said I was looking for my equal ( not better) in terms of " looks as well as character, values, and awesome sense of humor" I don't think I said anything specific about earning potential. I am a high school English teacher with a MA in English lit... Since you asked. I think having a similar lifestyle and background makes for a good relationship.
  • meddy78
    Options
    I don't understand why she's assumed the only reason men aren't wanting to see her a second time is because of her weight (something that she is remedying by being here).

Assuming she put a fairly representative photo of how she looks in her dating profile it's much more likely these men didn't want to see her a second time because they didn't enjoy her company.

Aww, sounds like you think I'm cute ;)
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    all men will tell you it about the inside

but as a heavier girl I have watched males chase after shallow women because they were hot

and didnt know i was cute till i lost weight

too late for them

Bottom line men are visual creatures and if this isnt satisfied when meeting, you may go into the friend zone pretty fast.

Men cant help it they were designed this way. THERE IS someone out there who will lay eyes on you and get himself sparked up, once that chemistry is going he will want to get to know you and then care about what is inside.

Best bet ???? Older men, they have been through relationship ropes and can value the true worth of a woman in a way youngish and younger men cant, wisdom and maturity....oh and LOTS of experience ;)

my humble opinion

You are very belittling of men and women and what they want and need from each other.
  • meddy78
    Options
    I used to feel that way too until I met my husband. I wasn't at my thinnest self ever when we first met but apparently was very confident and smiled a lot. He happened to like my legs too. At the time we met, I had just graduated nursing school and was in the process of losing my nursing school weight. About a year into our dating relationship is when I got my thinnest. Recently, I've put on some weight after losing my dad to leukemia and my husband has been understanding. He sees that I'm finally working at getting back on track and tells me not to be so hard on myself for putting on a few pounds. He appreciates me for getting dressed up for him and treating him well.

Real men just need to be respected, and unfortunately some guys out there are just out for a booty call. After that, if he's the right man for you, his heart will grow to accept you and love you as you are. There was definitely an initial attraction when my husband and I first started dating but it took time for us to realize we love each other. Our love grows deeper every day.

I do agree that dating websites can place too much emphasis on looks and that society places too much emphasis on women being skinny twigs. Be proud of your curves and just focus on being healthy :)

Nice! Thank you for this great response!
  • meddy78
    Options
    If I'm truly in love, little.

If I'm in just in lust, a lot.

That's not to say that I don't have standards when I am in love (and I am). We all have preferences. I am married and I truly believe that spouses should work to be as attractive to one another as possible, to help keep the spark alive, keep the heat turned up. But when you're in love, the deeper you go, the more attraction becomes about more than the flesh. My wife has been struggling with weight loss for years, though to a lesser degree than I have. I can objectively state that she's not physically at her most attractive, and that at her size I wouldn't necessarily try and get with her if she was a stranger. But I've loved this woman my entire adult life. My attraction to her, the way she affects my mind, my body, my soul, are entrenched in ways that far eclipse her physical appearance.

When my wife loses the weight, I'll celebrate for her and myself. First and foremost for health, because her weight has adversely affected her health (and she's nowhere near morbidly obese). I'll celebrate because I am attracted viscerally to voluptuous, but fit, bodies (which my wife is at her ideal weight). I'll celebrate because she'll feel better about herself, more confident, and in turn that'll only make us even better.

But even if that stuff never happened, it doesn't change the fact that I love her and I want her even now. She is my soulmate. She means everything to me. What we have can only be enhanced by being in amazing shape, but it can never be destroyed by not.

This, I believe, is the most accurate answer.
  • Sharbear73
    Sharbear73 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think it's a matter of confidence, how you carry yourself, do you have a sense of humor? Can you make small talk, can you make someone feel comfortable in the first 15 min? Are you frigidity, uncomfortable in your own skin and can't even focus on the guy?

Guy like a confident woman, someone who knows what they want and isn't afraid to go after it. If you like a guy, be a little more aggressive. They want to feel wanted too...

Just my two cents. :)
  • Aruba08
    Aruba08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

If I'm truly in love, little.

If I'm in just in lust, a lot.

That's not to say that I don't have standards when I am in love (and I am). We all have preferences. I am married and I truly believe that spouses should work to be as attractive to one another as possible, to help keep the spark alive, keep the heat turned up. But when you're in love, the deeper you go, the more attraction becomes about more than the flesh. My wife has been struggling with weight loss for years, though to a lesser degree than I have. I can objectively state that she's not physically at her most attractive, and that at her size I wouldn't necessarily try and get with her if she was a stranger. But I've loved this woman my entire adult life. My attraction to her, the way she affects my mind, my body, my soul, are entrenched in ways that far eclipse her physical appearance.

When my wife loses the weight, I'll celebrate for her and myself. First and foremost for health, because her weight has adversely affected her health (and she's nowhere near morbidly obese). I'll celebrate because I am attracted viscerally to voluptuous, but fit, bodies (which my wife is at her ideal weight). I'll celebrate because she'll feel better about herself, more confident, and in turn that'll only make us even better.

But even if that stuff never happened, it doesn't change the fact that I love her and I want her even now. She is my soulmate. She means everything to me. What we have can only be enhanced by being in amazing shape, but it can never be destroyed by not.

love love LOVE this answer. Very well put. I totally relate and Im sure my husband does too :)
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I can tell you right off what the problem is and its not your size. The type of guy you are going after will tend to make more money then the average guy. People that make a lot of money will be very picky (about everything not just the people they date). Where I live, even a firefighter can make 2-3x as much as a teacher. My friends that make a lot are so super picky about the women they date its crazy and my broke friends are not picky at all.

Hell I am broke at the moment, if you pay for the first date I would put a ring on it( be warned it might be one I find in a cracker jack box but somehow I would make it fit my macros)
  • christhenix
    christhenix Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Real men like curves. We don't think weight; it's all about presentation.

Nice eyes and a killer smile really help though! :heart:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I have had a recent foray into online dating, and I am currently size 14. I am confident in myself, as I feel that I am pretty attractive and accomplished regardless of my weight. However, I notice that not getting much response from men in terms of second dates at the least, or a sense of excitement if there is a second date as I do when I'm even at a size 12. My girlfriends insist that weight isn't that big a deal in and if itself... But I don't buy it. When it comes to professional, educated men, does weight truly trump all else when it comes to dating? Am I just wasting my time even putting myself out there up until I'm back to a size 6-8?

Let me take a different approach. In my experience, judging by my current and former clients and colleagues, yes. The razor thin, yoga taking, hot housewife is a bit of a stereotype for a reason. Of course, most of the ones I know have professional degrees themselves and bring a hell of a lot more to the table than looks. But, you have to ask yourself, why is dating an educated and professional man so important to you? Would a sincere, caring, and intelligent fireman really be all that bad? One of the wisest and loving friends I have is an EMT, and he definitely has life figured out. He simply doesn't care about money. What are you bringing to the table in terms of education and career potential? My wife and I were married young, went to school together, got fat together, and got fit together. You have to find someone that fits you in ways that these online dating wish lists don't seem to drill down into. Just keep at it and keep an open mind, and don't be afraid to ask yourself the same questions that you're asking this community.

I actually dated a firefighter a few years ago. Had he been more intelligent and less of a womanizer, I might have dated him longer. He was awfully good-lookin'! So... You and your wife helped each other through college, huh? That's sweet.

Oh, and just a quick reminder... Pretty sure I said I was looking for my equal ( not better) in terms of " looks as well as character, values, and awesome sense of humor" I don't think I said anything specific about earning potential. I am a high school English teacher with a MA in English lit... Since you asked. I think having a similar lifestyle and background makes for a good relationship.

Dating sites may be the issue. On a bike ride a few years ago, one our female riders decided to keep us entertained telling us about her "crash and burn" dates. The ride lasted seven days, she still had stories to tell... (So there are a lot of frogs to kiss and tires to kick out there...)

Weight matters. But it's just one thing among a thousand.
    Relax, have fun, don't even bother thinking about the second date. It's likelier to happen if you have a blast and enjoy yourself.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options

Dating sites may be the issue. On a bike ride a few years ago, one our female riders decided to keep us entertained telling us about her "crash and burn" dates. The ride lasted seven days, she still had stories to tell... (So there are a lot of frogs to kiss and tires to kick out there...)

Relax, have fun, don't even bother thinking about the second date. It's likelier to happen if you have a blast and enjoy yourself.

Was the ride meant to last seven days or were they such good stories you couldn't stop? The Scheherazade of cycling
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Was the ride meant to last seven days or were they such good stories you couldn't stop? The Scheherazade of cycling

It was a ride across Iowa call RAGBRAI. Lots if corn to see. :noway:
    We did a lot more than just those stories, eating great food, meeting fantastic people, but that was a very fond memory and an eye opener about dating sites experience.

Oh, an above, I might have easily said weight matters no more than a thousand other things. (Do make sure your profile isn't telling a story that isn't realistic.)
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If men don't like you because of your size, its because you are into men who like women that are not your size.
    If you want men to like the size you are then you have to find men who are into that size.
    to be perfectly blunt, looks do mater. but you can be popular at any size, as long as you pursue the type of man who likes your type of woman.
    I'm not talking about chubby chasers or any fringe type thing or fetishists. You have to do research and find out how to meet men who like women who have your shape.
    This is vague but I hope its at least a litte insightful.
    I
  • splitdog79
    splitdog79 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Well, having at one point been almost 400 pounds I'd be a bit of a hypocrite if it mattered a whole lot. One of the greatest compliments I've ever been paid is my recent ex saying she'd never been attracted to heavy guys and so that meant that someone considered me thin!

I'll say I've dated women before who were a bit heavier than I'd thought I'd have dated just because I got to know them and they were just so gosh-darned fun to hang out with. A pleasing personality is a great aphrodisiac, in my mind. I can find something attractive about almost any woman, but personally a few extra pounds on a woman, and a few tattoos (What can I say? I like the bad girls), are a desirable trait.

Certainly a dude doesn't necessarily have to be a bad guy if he is only attracted to skinny women, I'm just saying there are guys out there who absolutely prefer a plus-sized gal.
  • Sharbear73
    Sharbear73 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I can tell you right off what the problem is and its not your size. The type of guy you are going after will tend to make more money then the average guy. People that make a lot of money will be very picky (about everything not just the people they date). Where I live, even a firefighter can make 2-3x as much as a teacher. My friends that make a lot are so super picky about the women they date its crazy and my broke friends are not picky at all.

Hell I am broke at the moment, if you pay for the first date I would put a ring on it( be warned it might be one I find in a cracker jack box but somehow I would make it fit my macros)
    Hahaha, that should turn any girl on! ;)
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    If it's a pattern that guys aren't asking for a second date then there's something going on. It shouldn't be your weight if you're being honest in the first place, but I know the #1 complaint people have about internet dates is that people don't look like their photo, i.e. they're older and/or fatter than advertised. Many times people use old photos in their profiles not in a deliberate attempt to deceive, but because they really think they still look like that (or "close enough"). Are you using current and accurate photos for your dating profile, or are you using photos from when you were at a lower weight?

And to answer your original question, yes - weight matters. My experience has been that after about size 8 or 10 my options became much more limited. And getting older doesn't help, either.

Here's a funny article that pretty much sums it up: http://www.theonion.com/articles/few-more-items-knocked-off-list-of-desirable-trait,36412/