Shreddin' Eleven, Week Three

Options
This is a thread dedicated to the 30 Day Shred. A group of us started the Shred on or around New Year's Day, and are keeping up on one another's progress through daily discussion, progress reports, support, encouragement, tips & advice. Feel free to join the discussion if you've already started or may be thinking about beginning Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. We're here to see each other through all three levels, no matter when we start or how long it takes!

Replies

• MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Today marks the halfway point of the Shred for me, and I know for a couple others of us. I look forward to Level 3! Today, I used the 5lb weights instead of the 3s, even through the third strength circuit. My arms felt like so much jelly afterwards that it was all I could do to even hold up my glass of water there for a little while. The plank-based work is gradually getting easier as my arms get stronger. I bumped up my intensity as much as I could throughout the workout today and I plan to do the same tomorrow. After a short break, I also did the entire 50 minutes of 10 Minute Solution: Kickbox Bootcamp. I'm feelin' really strong right about now, and ready to tackle the second half of the Shred. I'm thinking D6L2 tomorrow, plus a run on the treadmill (or, if it's not unbearable cold, preferably an outdoor run) tomorrow.

Have a GREAT weekend, everyone, and keep Shreddin'! :)
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm here :))
    I'm on Level 1 Day 9 today. I'm feeling great and am ready to move on to Level 2, however, I still have a couple days here :)
    I started my journey as an experiment to see just how much weight & how many inches i could lose by eating my recommended calories & doing ONLY the shred. Hopefully I see some results.
  • TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Recapping last week:
    Sat (8): none YES
    Sun (9): L1 and L2 YES
    Mon(10): L3 YES
    Tues (11): L3 YES
    Wed(12): L1 NO
    Thur (13): L1 YES [L1 AND L2]
    Fri (14): L3 NO

So here's my plan of attack for next week:

Saturday (15) Level 3 [spin class plus 45 minutes of cardio]
    Sunday (16) Level 1 [zumba]
    Monday (17) Level 1 and Level 2
    Tuesday (18) Level 1 [kickboxing plus 30 minutes of cardio]
    Wednesday (19) Level 3 [zumba plus 30 minutes of cardio]
    Thursday (20) Level 1 [TBA]
    Friday (21) Level 3 [Hard Core plus 45 minutes of cardio]

I only did 6 days last week, so I am doing 8 days worth next week to stay on track.
  • luvallmusic
    Options
    Level 2 Day 5 was a good one for me as well... I pushed myself harder than I had been since I've been taking it easy on the knee! Its so much better but still a bit sore. At least I can move it now without it hurting so bad. The planks and arm stuff are whipping my arms into shape! I'm loving it! A few more days and we can move in to level 3... I've made it halfway and wanna keep it going and finish it!! I also did some Michael Jackson the Experience dancing today as well as some major cleaning! Feeling good...might even do something else later on!
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,337 Member
    Options
    Just checking in. Still need to shred sometime later this afternoon. It'll be D2/L2. It's going to be a little harder than my first day at Level 2 because I missed the first couple reps of many of the exercises while watching to observe the correct form, etc. Still a little stiff from my gym workout last night, but I know that a couple minutes into shredding and that will disappear. =)

Hope everyone's having a great day!
  • queenmedusa
    queenmedusa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Started today with the Shred (as per last weeks thread), then 70mins gardening, then a walk to the garden centre (about 3mile round trip). Hope everyone has a good start to this week of the shred!!!
  • sgreene87
    sgreene87 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Today marks the halfway point of the Shred for me, and I know for a couple others of us. I look forward to Level 3! Today, I used the 5lb weights instead of the 3s, even through the third strength circuit. My arms felt like so much jelly afterwards that it was all I could do to even hold up my glass of water there for a little while. The plank-based work is gradually getting easier as my arms get stronger. I bumped up my intensity as much as I could throughout the workout today and I plan to do the same tomorrow. After a short break, I also did the entire 50 minutes of 10 Minute Solution: Kickbox Bootcamp. I'm feelin' really strong right about now, and ready to tackle the second half of the Shred. I'm thinking D6L2 tomorrow, plus a run on the treadmill (or, if it's not unbearable cold, preferably an outdoor run) tomorrow.

Have a GREAT weekend, everyone, and keep Shreddin'! :)

Thanks for such wonderful motivation on this thread, your comments and descriptions of your workouts really keep me pumped to keep on going. Appreciate you starting the thread as well, it has been such a help to me!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'm on level two, day 3 of that level, day 15 overall. I didn't switch to level 2 until Jan. 12 because my b-day was the 11th.

I am able to get through the exercises, but I cannot say I enjoy them. I'm beginning to call this "30 days to knee problems" because of all the bouncing. The jumping jacks in level 1 about did my knees in. Anyone else having this issue?

I think the best part about 30 DS is the strength moves and the ab moves. Both are working for me.

Is anyone losing as much weight as it claims you will? I have not.
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options
    MissAnjy -- Great job on keeping up on the Shred. I'm anxious to see everyone's results!

Leela -- You are so driven; what a great inspiration! Keep up the great work!

luvallmusic -- I'm happy to hear the knee is on the mend and well on its way to being stronger! You're doing a GREAT job! Can't wait to dance to some MJ with ya again soon. :)

darkrider -- I hope you're enjoying your weekend, too! Best wishes on your second day of Level 2!

queenmedusa -- What did you think of your first day of the Shred? Great job on all the other exercise too!

sgreene -- You are very welcome!! I'm happy to hear the thread has been as much help to you as it has been to me, too! We've got quite the team here! :)

lkm111 -- Happy belated birthday! I understand the not liking the exercises thing. There are certain moves (plank!) that I just haven't much enjoyed throughout Level 2, but I'm determined to stick with them anyhow, because I can tell I'm getting stronger overall. luvallmusic (my mom!) has been having some knee issues as well. She's been modifying some of the more 'jumpy' moves to accommodate, until her knee is back to 100%. Do you know how much the Shred claims you will lose? I either have forgotten or haven't noticed what they claim. I personally have lost 1.6lbs so far, and I'm hoping for another good number on Thursday. Even if the weight doesn't drop as quickly as we hope, I know that I'm getting stronger and my endurance level has absolutely risen. I've been doing other cardio workouts along with the Shred, too.
  • bk2011
    bk2011 Posts: 268
    Options
    I'm on level two, day 3 of that level, day 15 overall. I didn't switch to level 2 until Jan. 12 because my b-day was the 11th.

I am able to get through the exercises, but I cannot say I enjoy them. I'm beginning to call this "30 days to knee problems" because of all the bouncing. The jumping jacks in level 1 about did my knees in. Anyone else having this issue?

I think the best part about 30 DS is the strength moves and the ab moves. Both are working for me.

Is anyone losing as much weight as it claims you will? I have not.

Definitely not losing as much weight as it claims you can/will! I think it says on the DVD 'lose up to 20 lbs in 30 days' or something like that! I wish...and I'm even doing other exercise dvds and strength in with the thread and still not losing 5 pounds a week!!! I can feel my strength building up, which is good, but I really want to see the numbers on the scale drop! I'm going to stick with it through the end of the month, but am already trying to decide what is up next to really get my weight moving in the right direction.

I'm still doing the natural diet cleanse and so far so good! I'm not feeling really hungry and am able to eat constantly since it's fruits and veggies that I'm snacking on!!! I've even grown to LOVE apples without my usual peanut butter!

CHANDRA - I cannot believe you did that last strength set with 5 lb weights! WAY TO GO GIRL! I'm proud of you!

PS - Happy belated bday! The 11th is my bday too!!!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    "She's been modifying some of the more 'jumpy' moves to accommodate, until her knee is back to 100%."

I've been modifying, too, but Jillian clearly states a few times that there "is no modification for jumping jacks". Another quote, "I've got 400 lb. people who can do jumping jacks". The upside is that I can do them now, couldn't at the beginning, but I am really questioning whether or not I should continue with them. In the beginning I would run in place while moving my hands up and down. I am going to keep going at least until the end of the 30 days, but I seriously doubt I do this program again because of the knee issues.

I do like the high knees and skaters much better than jumping jacks and jump rope. For some reason they don't bother me as badly.
  • lillmssy
    Options
    I bought the 30 DS today and did level 1. I too had a knee issue. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have been running for the last 3 weeks and I'm already up to 3 miles every 2-3 days along with walking and riding my bike. All three of these activities did not make my knee hurt as much as this did. Is it the side to side motion of the jumping jacks? Or the jump rope? I am going to wait and give it a few days.......but wow......I could feel it.
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options
    bk2011 -- Thank you!!! It was tough, but I somehow managed to survive it! The remainder of Level 2, I think I'll stick with the 5lb weights. :)

lkm111 -- Sure, no modification for jumping jacks, as long as your knee(s) can withstand it without injury. My philosophy is to just listen to my body, and if I have to modify something, I'd rather do it than risk injury. I commend you for sticking to the Shred even with the knee issues. I too prefer the high knees and skaters to the jumping jacks and jump rope. I'm hoping that by the end of the 30 days, your knees might be strengthened by the workout! Good luck and good work!
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options
    I bought the 30 DS today and did level 1. I too had a knee issue. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have been running for the last 3 weeks and I'm already up to 3 miles every 2-3 days along with walking and riding my bike. All three of these activities did not make my knee hurt as much as this did. Is it the side to side motion of the jumping jacks? Or the jump rope? I am going to wait and give it a few days.......but wow......I could feel it.

I would guess that it's a combination of both the jumping exercises, especially if your knees aren't used to it right at first. My left knee started bothering me during the first 3-4 days of Level 1. I soaked it in a warm/hot bath and massaged the muscles above my knee a little, and it seemed to do the trick. My knee felt better following the soak. Great job on the running! I'm training for my first half marathon in September this year. :)
  • ang2803
    ang2803 Posts: 39
    Options
    Today is Level 1 Day 2 for me and boy is my body "loving" it LOL I can totally feel it in my legs and butt and arms! My abs I do feel just a bit but I always do crunches so they are used to the work. The only thing I really struggle with is the jumping jacks. I HATE to do them but I have been pushing myself to do it so I can get stronger. I am excited to be doing this and hope that I can start losing all this unnecessary fat!
  • juliana1977
    juliana1977 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    D 6 L1 DONE!! It feels so good afterwards!! Loving it!! I Also did 20 min of turbo Jam!

This is my challenge for next week:
    Sunday: D7L1 plus 20 min ofTurbo Jam
    Monday: D8L1 plus 40 min of cardio at the gym
    Tueday: D9L1 plus 30 min. of swimming
    Wednesday: D10L1 plus 20 min of Turbo Jam
    Thursday: D1L2!!! plus 20 min of swimming
    Friday: D2L2 plus 20 min of Turbo Jam
    Saturday: D2L3 plus 40 min of Turbo Jam b/c I am going out at night so I need the extra calories : )
    Just Hope I can keep up with it!

CHANDRA - I really like Turbo Jam but I will tell you something, 20 min of Shred is harder on me than 20 min of Turbo Jam. I never did the full version 40 min of it. A friend of mine let me use the DVD and I am only doing some additional cardio on the days I don't swim.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,337 Member
    Options
    I finished Day 2 of Level 2 just before dinner tonight. I like level 2! I made it all the way through missing only a few reps the entire workout. Granted I'm doing the easier moves most of the time, but not all...and I'm not going very deep on the pendulum lunges and the the one-footed military presses are impossible...but other than that... LOL, and the cardio isn't killing me! Either this level is easier or I'm getting more fit.
  • runsally
    runsally Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow thankyou for this thread! I just found it :> Hopefully i'm not too late to join in the shredding!
    I started on 3rd Jan and missed a couple of days but i'm finally seeing the light of Level 2-Day 1!
    I just did Level 2 for the first time today and oh boy, did Jillian kick my *kitten* once again! I was huffing and puffing and could not complete some of the exercises, like the squart thrusts!

I also have yet to lose any weight but i'm definitely seeing an improvement in my stamina and body! But no loss is better than a gain! Can't wait to see the end results!

This thread will keep me accountable! Thankyou so much!

@darkrider42 omg i agree! the one-floored military presses are a killer. my legs flew all over the place when i tried to kick!
  • bluebeta
    Options
    I still have to do L2 D6 today, but wasn't able to post yesterday cause I was working a 12 hour shift. Glad everyone is doing well with keeping up. Does anyone know what they are going to do next after they are done with the shred. I would like to lose weight and continue to tone. any suggestions?
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options
    Ang -- YAY!! I'm so glad you finally got your DVD and you're "enjoying" the workout so far! Great job on sticking with the jumping jacks. :)

Juliana -- I may give Turbo Jam a try sometime... I like to keep my exercise routine fresh and switch things up here and there. :) Sounds like you've got a great plan for the week ahead! :)

darkrider -- It's not an easy workout at all. We must be getting more fit! Since I've done a fair amount of yoga, my balance has become pretty decent, so the one-foot military presses are alright for me. Oh, and is it just me who feels like the cardio circuits of the workout are to some extent a great relief from the strength circuits?! L0L Has your daughter tried out Level 2 yet?

kanemotto -- Hello and welcome!! You're never too late around here. :) Level 2 is definitely an increase in intensity from Level 1. Great job on getting through Day 1, and best wishes for completing the Shred! :)

bluebeta -- My personal plan is to continue using the Shred after the initial 30 days, but I'll probably mix it up a little bit, maybe cycle through the levels day-by-day, or do as someone else has suggested to me, and what Leela has been doing (since she's done the Shred before), by doubling up and doing two levels back-to-back. I'm also thinking of picking up another Jillian workout DVD to add some more variety to my exercise DVD collection. :)