need advice on loosing weight please

Options

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Except it"s not working because obesity is getting much worse, even becoming an epidemic. The U.S. isn't getting slimmer with the "calorie in, calorie out" message, it's getting fatter. Diabetes rates aren't coming down - they are going up.

People actually have to ACT on the message, not just hear it.
    The research on sugar and grains and how they are processed differently, how they spike insulin levels, is out there if anyone is interested in learning more about it.

Yes, again I'd love a link to said scientifically peer-reviewed research

ETA: Since I see you posted on another thread - youtube videos =/= "the latest research"
  • abear007
    abear007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I didn't say "you tube = the latest research", I said someone could find some information there if a person is interested in learning more about it which is a very different thing. If you're just interested in being asshat and looking for a fight, I'm not. You do what works for you, offer that advice if you want, and I'll do what works for me, offering it as an option. That sounds fair to me. Sheesh.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I didn't say "you tube = the latest research", I said someone could find some information there if a person is interested in learning more about it which is a very different thing. If you're just interested in being asshat and looking for a fight, I'm not. You do what works for you, offer that advice if you want, and I'll do what works for me, offering it as an option. That sounds fair to me. Sheesh.

If you're going to present information, asking you to provide a link (or some other access) to it is a reasonable request. Making a statement that akin to "studies are out there that show [whatever]" isn't really helpful. If you're going to take a stance, it's generally considered appropriate to be able to support it directly. The onus is on you to support your position.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Except it"s not working because obesity is getting much worse, even becoming an epidemic. The U.S. isn't getting slimmer with the "calorie in, calorie out" message, it's getting fatter. Diabetes rates aren't coming down - they are going up.

In any case, I was offering what has worked for me and what I've learned, I wasn't looking for a debate. The research on sugar and grains and how they are processed differently, how they spike insulin levels, is out there if anyone is interested in learning more about it.

You are free to do what works for you and other people are free to do what works for them - and this has been working fantastically for me while the other way never did - so I'll stick with what works for me, thanks.
    yes.
    CICO does work.
    Obesity is on hte rise because people eat too much, and move too little.
  • bweber91
    bweber91 Posts: 5
    Options
    So all of this would be safe while ttc? I forgot to add that. My husband and I have been ttc and been wanting a baby for a while now.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

I have no problem with anyone sharing what has or has not worked for them. However I would respectfully suggest beginning such a post with statements such as "what worked for me was... " or "I have found that..." Not "the latest research shows that..." Especially if they are on willing or unable to provide said research.
  • abear007
    Options
    And you are free to spread that message, even if you haven't posted any research on it. I strictly monitored my diet and did P90X religiously for months and saw very little improvement. With cutting out sugar and wheat, I've seen more progress in 3 weeks than I did in 4 months on the other. If counting calories works for you - great. It didn't work for me and I was very meticulous with it, logging every little thing. I won't bash what works for you if you won't bash what is working for me. Sound good?
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    And you are free to spread that message, even if you haven't posted any research on it. I strictly monitored my diet and did P90X religiously for months and saw very little improvement. With cutting out sugar and wheat, I've seen more progress in 3 weeks than I did in 4 months on the other. If counting calories works for you - great. It didn't work for me and I was very meticulous with it, logging every little thing. I won't bash what works for you if you won't bash what is working for me. Sound good?

Sorry no deal. I'm going to retain my right to point out and call out BS info when I see it posted.

That being said I challenge you to point to anything I said where I doubted your method worked for you or for that matter that it wouldn't work for anyone. The only thing I've asked for all along was the research you claimed existed so I could read the info for myself instead of relying on anonymous Internet forum postings.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

Not bashing :smile: Just wanted to point out that this is the sort of "restrictive" diet to which I referred in my earlier post. I'm curious are you still recording your calories and with the removal of sugar and wheat is there a further calorie defecit or are you eating the same amount of calories?

Among other things, I have tried the low glycemic way - lost 25lbs in six months, put it right back on again. Low fat - high carb - no joy. I did mfp and reduced sugar (evil! evil! kidding!) lost 15lbs and stopped because I figured I had it under control. Put it back on again in 6 months. If you look up yoyo dieting in the dictionary - there's probably a picture of me :laugh:

What will you do when you achieve your goal weight? Are you planning on avoiding sugar and wheat forever?

I stand by my assertion - fad diets work because they cause us to micro-manage our diets - when we stop - well you know. But I believe (emphasis on the "I") that managing your diet is necessary in this society of plenty. Some do it effortlessly - the rest of us need tools. And that's where CICO comes in.

I'm glad you are achieving results - and I'm hoping maintenance for you is as successful.

cheers
  • abear007
    Options
    With the restriction of sugar and wheat, basically eating only real foods and little or no processed foods, any calorie restriction is happening naturally. Basically I'm not hungry, even feeling full, so I don't eat. With sugar and wheat in the diet I was often hungry as if my brain wasn't registering what I was eating. It took a lot to be really full but even then, when my body came down off the sugar high, I'd be hungry again. That just didn't work long term.

My current thought when I reach my goal is that I could have the occasional birthday cake or apple pie at Thanksgiving at the very least. It would be nice if I could eventually have a "treat day" once a week that would allow anything - pizza, ice cream, pancakes, etc. but it will be a matter of experimentation to see how frequently that could happen.

I don't consider this a fad diet in any way - in fact I think the real fad diet is the high carb, high sugar diet that's been pushed for the last 30-40 years and which has correlated with the obesity/diabetes/heart disease epidemic. It's the way our our parents and grandparents used to eat before sugar was added to everything and before wheat was modified to increase it's yield. Hec, I was looking for a can of peas and carrots the other day and they added sugar to that!

This is the way humans ate up until very recently, real food instead of sugar-ladened, processed grain foods.(which are processed by our bodies just like sugar or worse). We can't get away from all of it of course, but we can go back as much as is feasible.

Thanks for the encouragement. I just think it's important to note that one size does not fit all when it comes to getting healthier.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    With the restriction of sugar and wheat, basically eating only real foods and little or no processed foods, any calorie restriction is happening naturally. Basically I'm not hungry, even feeling full, so I don't eat. With sugar and wheat in the diet I was often hungry as if my brain wasn't registering what I was eating. It took a lot to be really full but even then, when my body came down off the sugar high, I'd be hungry again. That just didn't work long term.

My current thought when I reach my goal is that I could have the occasional birthday cake or apple pie at Thanksgiving at the very least. It would be nice if I could eventually have a "treat day" once a week that would allow anything - pizza, ice cream, pancakes, etc. but it will be a matter of experimentation to see how frequently that could happen.

I don't consider this a fad diet in any way - in fact I think the real fad diet is the high carb, high sugar diet that's been pushed for the last 30-40 years and which has correlated with the obesity/diabetes/heart disease epidemic. It's the way our our parents and grandparents used to eat before sugar was added to everything and before wheat was modified to increase it's yield. Hec, I was looking for a can of peas and carrots the other day and they added sugar to that!

This is the way humans ate up until very recently, real food instead of sugar-ladened, processed grain foods.(which are processed by our bodies just like sugar or worse). We can't get away from all of it of course, but we can go back as much as is feasible.

Thanks for the encouragement. I just think it's important to note that one size does not fit all when it comes to getting healthier.
    but the CICO fits the absolute vast majority
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options

Just a note about the bolded section above:
    This is exactly why it's great to lose weight while following the basic tenants of CICO. You get to experiment while you're losing weight, so that once you're at GW you already KNOW what works for you and you don't have to risk gaining weight back while trying to all of a sudden fit in the "treats" that you cut out.

It's great that you've lost weight, regardless of how you've done it, and I sincerely wish you luck when you go back to eating "normally". Oh and btw - you say your way of eating isn't a fad diet. All I have to say to that is that a diet is something that ends (which is what you're planning on doing, ending the diet and going back to "real life"), while a lifestyle change is sustainable for life. You are dieting, not changing your lifestyle, and yes, cutting carbs/wheat/sugar/whatever is a FAD.
  • NeedtoSimplifyDieting
    Options
    Exercise for your mind and spirit. Eat better for your health. Eat less for weight loss. Take it in day-to-day increments while always recognizing the "immediate rewards" of dieting. You are rewarded EVERY day that you take steps to care for your body. Make sure you recognize that intrinsic happiness and your diet will not seem like a sacrifice but rather a logical way to live life because you feel so good about yourself.

Good luck and Keep the faith!
  • redman1740
    redman1740 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Advice on losing weight? First, you have to want this, you must have your mind set on doing this, wanting this like you've never wanted anything. Then you start off small, making changes to your diet, going to the gym and making more lifestyle changes, not temp changes. There isn't any advice, only what works for you and what you are willing to do. You have a choice, you can either do it or not do it. Remember, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it. So get up off that couch and get in that gym and do something everyday and give it 100% of all you got.
  • oksanatkachuk
    oksanatkachuk Posts: 149 Member
    Options

People actually have to ACT on the message, not just hear it.
    The research on sugar and grains and how they are processed differently, how they spike insulin levels, is out there if anyone is interested in learning more about it.

Yes, again I'd love a link to said scientifically peer-reviewed research

ETA: Since I see you posted on another thread - youtube videos =/= "the latest research"

This guy knows it! Sometime MFP u can see preachers, luckily they don't last long
  • abear007
    Options
    For the record, I do not plan on ending the diet, nor would I consider an occasional treat an end to the diet. That is being far too restrictive to what "diet" means in my view. Neither sugar nor wheat will ever again be a significant portion of my diet. This is a change of lifestyle, no question about it and this isn't just for weight loss purposes, but also for a host of other health reasons as well.

If you wish to call how humans ate for tens of thousands of years, prior to how we've eaten for the last 30 years a "Fad" I can't stop you, but you saying it doesn't make it true and it would certainly change the entire meaning of the word if it was.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    For the record, I do not plan on ending the diet, nor would I consider an occasional treat an end to the diet. That is being far too restrictive to what "diet" means in my view. Neither sugar nor wheat will ever again be a significant portion of my diet. This is a change of lifestyle, no question about it and this isn't just for weight loss purposes, but also for a host of other health reasons as well.

If you wish to call how humans ate for tens of thousands of years, prior to how we've eaten for the last 30 years a "Fad" I can't stop you, but you saying it doesn't make it true and it would certainly change the entire meaning of the word if it was.

Go ahead and eat your sugar-free, wheat-free diet. I'll enjoy my dessert and still remain a healthy human being. I couldn't imagine cutting sugar/wheat for life. Good luck!
  • tcamp02
    tcamp02 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight by just cutting calories but you can't get healthy unless you eat the right calories. Also, healthy food generally has less calories for a larger serving so you get more food which makes it easier because you aren't as hungry. I see a lot of people trying to get by on tiny servings of junk food just because they want to keep eating that food. I was not raised eating vegetables...I was raised where the first thing you did when you cooked dinner was get out two skillets...one to fry the meat (or make something like hamburger helper) and one to fry the potatoes. Corn was considered a vegetable. Today I love vegetables but I started eating them before I started liking them. Same thing with whole grains vs. white - at first I ate them because they were the healthier choice but preferred the white versions but now I prefer the whole grain versions. Bottom line, if you will eat healthy food you will get more food and will be healthy as well as lose weight and you will eventually see your tastes change. Do some research on cooking methods. Sometimes, it's a matter of finding a way of cooking them that you like. I thought I didn't like broccoli, then realized it was just the grey boiled to death stuff that I didn't like. When it's bright green and crisp, it's delicious!
  • abear007
    Options
    Go ahead and eat your sugar-free, wheat-free diet. I'll enjoy my dessert and still remain a healthy human being. I couldn't imagine cutting sugar/wheat for life. Good luck!
    Like I've said - do what works for you. I won't begrudge anyone else doing what works for them. Good luck to you too.
  • justincook
    justincook Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Sorry no deal. I'm going to retain my right to point out and call out BS info when I see it posted.

That being said I challenge you to point to anything I said where I doubted your method worked for you or for that matter that it wouldn't work for anyone. The only thing I've asked for all along was the research you claimed existed so I could read the info for myself instead of relying on anonymous Internet forum postings.

Could you post a link showing what part of my body calculates CICO and signals the difference to my fat cells for storage or release? How does that work exactly?