need advice on loosing weight please

Options

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    And you are free to spread that message, even if you haven't posted any research on it. I strictly monitored my diet and did P90X religiously for months and saw very little improvement. With cutting out sugar and wheat, I've seen more progress in 3 weeks than I did in 4 months on the other. If counting calories works for you - great. It didn't work for me and I was very meticulous with it, logging every little thing. I won't bash what works for you if you won't bash what is working for me. Sound good?

Sorry no deal. I'm going to retain my right to point out and call out BS info when I see it posted.

That being said I challenge you to point to anything I said where I doubted your method worked for you or for that matter that it wouldn't work for anyone. The only thing I've asked for all along was the research you claimed existed so I could read the info for myself instead of relying on anonymous Internet forum postings.

Could you post a link showing what part of my body calculates CICO and signals the difference to my fat cells for storage or release? How does that work exactly?

I *think* it's called the Hypothalamus (I could be wrong). It monitors our metabolic process (in conjunction with other organs and tissue). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothalamus

Edit to add:

"The hypothalamus is responsive to:

Light: daylength and photoperiod for regulating circadian and seasonal rhythms
    Olfactory stimuli, including pheromones
    Steroids, including gonadal steroids and corticosteroids
    Neurally transmitted information arising in particular from the heart, the stomach, and the reproductive tract
    Autonomic inputs
    Blood-borne stimuli, including leptin, ghrelin, angiotensin, insulin, pituitary hormones, cytokines, plasma concentrations of glucose and osmolarity etc.
    Stress
    Invading microorganisms by increasing body temperature, resetting the body's thermostat upward."
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    And you are free to spread that message, even if you haven't posted any research on it. I strictly monitored my diet and did P90X religiously for months and saw very little improvement. With cutting out sugar and wheat, I've seen more progress in 3 weeks than I did in 4 months on the other. If counting calories works for you - great. It didn't work for me and I was very meticulous with it, logging every little thing. I won't bash what works for you if you won't bash what is working for me. Sound good?

Sorry no deal. I'm going to retain my right to point out and call out BS info when I see it posted.

That being said I challenge you to point to anything I said where I doubted your method worked for you or for that matter that it wouldn't work for anyone. The only thing I've asked for all along was the research you claimed existed so I could read the info for myself instead of relying on anonymous Internet forum postings.

Could you post a link showing what part of my body calculates CICO and signals the difference to my fat cells for storage or release? How does that work exactly?

If I had made any claims regarding the existence and content of such information, I'd have been happy to do so.

As it is, I think you could find much of the understanding you're asking for by reading up on concepts such as the first law of thermodynamics and/or the concept of conservation of energy/mass
  • abear007
    abear007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Well then I guess I will too - and a calorie is a calorie is BS. A spinach calorie, a steak calorie and a ice cream calorie are not processed or metabolized the same way by the body and the brain is not satiated the same way either. The challenge for you would be to provide research that they are and you haven't.

If you are truly interested about the subject, rather than just nay-saying, all you would have to do is type "A calorie is not a calorie" into google and you will get a host of sites explaining why it isn't so, many of the articles written by professional doctors and nutritionists.

I for one wasn't interested in fighting, only in relating my own experience like everyone else. It's unfortunate that this has bothered you so much.
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Exercise for your mind and spirit. Eat better for your health. Eat less for weight loss. Take it in day-to-day increments while always recognizing the "immediate rewards" of dieting. You are rewarded EVERY day that you take steps to care for your body. Make sure you recognize that intrinsic happiness and your diet will not seem like a sacrifice but rather a logical way to live life because you feel so good about yourself.

Good luck and Keep the faith!

The best advice yet, thanks
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Well then I guess I will too - and a calorie is a calorie is BS. A spinach calorie, a steak calorie and a ice cream calorie are not processed or metabolized the same way by the body and the brain is not satiated the same way either. The challenge for you would be to provide research that they are and you haven't.

Again - why would i need to substantiate a claim I never made?

I've only asked for you to substantiate your own claims. I have made no claims whatsoever.

ETA: OK I did claim that 9 out of 10 people who refer to "the latest research" have never read it, but I did disclaim that was my own personal opinion.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    The latest research is showing that it's not a simple "calories in calories out" scheme. Sugar and refined grains are metabolized much differently and many people, if not most people, don't interact well to these foods. They leave the brain still thinking it's hungry for more which is very hard to resist over the long term.

For me sugar free, wheat free is working out great. This basically cuts out all processed foods. I don't feel hungry and the weight is coming off, even without killing myself on the treadmill - no calorie counting necessary.

What latest research would that be?

There have been some recent studies trying to rebunk what has worked for millions and millions of people. It basically puts a skew on things to apologize to all those people who just arent successful in losing weight. Do a search on it and it will bring up alot of info of which most of it, to me, is just apologetic and excuse ridden for those who cannot do it the traditional way.

The things I have read just muddy the water trying to say why it isnt that simple, but in reality for pretty much everyone it is.
    Citation needed.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    The latest research is showing that it's not a simple "calories in calories out" scheme. Sugar and refined grains are metabolized much differently and many people, if not most people, don't interact well to these foods. They leave the brain still thinking it's hungry for more which is very hard to resist over the long term.

For me sugar free, wheat free is working out great. This basically cuts out all processed foods. I don't feel hungry and the weight is coming off, even without killing myself on the treadmill - no calorie counting necessary.

What latest research would that be?

There have been some recent studies trying to rebunk what has worked for millions and millions of people. It basically puts a skew on things to apologize to all those people who just arent successful in losing weight. Do a search on it and it will bring up alot of info of which most of it, to me, is just apologetic and excuse ridden for those who cannot do it the traditional way.

The things I have read just muddy the water trying to say why it isnt that simple, but in reality for pretty much everyone it is.
    Citation needed.

That's all I've been asking for all along...
  • his2pet
    his2pet Posts: 4
    Options
    I believe that CICO works for most people. That being said some of us do not metabolize at the rates that MFP thinks we should. I find for me that I only eat 1200 calories or less a day total regardless of my exercise and that helps me. When I ate the exercise replacement calories I would bounce in +5/-5 of my baseline working out hard at least 4 days a week. So, I no longer enter my exercise and use this site purely to track calories and that helps me. I defintely believe in the use of a kitchen scale and measuring cups too. Good luck with your challenge. Kudos to you for deciding that enough is enough.
  • justincook
    justincook Posts: 14 Member
    Options

If I had made any claims regarding the existence and content of such information, I'd have been happy to do so.

As it is, I think you could find much of the understanding you're asking for by reading up on concepts such as the first law of thermodynamics and/or the concept of conservation of energy/mass

Thermodynamics. Got it. This whole time I thought it involved insulin or something.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Getting the popcorn out and think about that to have for breakfast. :bigsmile:

OP you need to find out what works for you.
    If you can't live without the sugar in your coffee, or the breakfast or the bananas, you have to cut something else.
    You would need to add some exercise, if you don't want to lose muscles.
    It is not that simple, but with the right spirit and getting more knowledge about your body and what works for it, it is doable.
    Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • abear007
    Options

I've only asked for you to substantiate your own claims. I have made no claims whatsoever.

ETA: OK I did claim that 9 out of 10 people who refer to "the latest research" have never read it, but I did disclaim that was my own personal opinion.
    Have you typed the phrase into google yet? You will get links to real doctors, researchers and nutritionists explaining how the body metabolizes things differently. If you're truly interested, it's pretty easy to do. I did NOT make my post with the intention of fighting or having to prove this to anyone on a support forum - each of us has to educate ourselves, take what they can from it and see if it works for them.

I took the time to read the links, noting who was saying it and why they were saying it and without question it has panned out in my experience. Read the links for yourself and believe or don't believe whatever makes you happy.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

Have you typed the phrase into google yet? You will get links to real doctors, researchers and nutritionists explaining how the body metabolizes things differently. If you're truly interested, it's pretty easy to do. I did NOT make my post with the intention of fighting or having to prove this to anyone on a support forum - each of us has to educate ourselves, take what they can from it and see if it works for them.

I took the time to read the links, noting who was saying it and why they were saying it and without question it has panned out in my experience. Read the links for yourself and believe or don't believe whatever makes you happy.

As the one presenting the claim, it's kind of your place to do the research and present it. One of the benefits of this that we can all be on the same page and look at the same sources.

It's all well and good to say what works for us as individuals. We all can put whatever value we feel is appropriate on those types of claims. But when you start talking about "research," the expectation is that you be able to back up your position.

The fact that you didn't make the post with the intention of having to defend against reasonable scrutiny is sort of irrelevant.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options

If you are truly interested about the subject, rather than just nay-saying, all you would have to do is type "A calorie is not a calorie" into google and you will get a host of sites explaining why it isn't so, many of the articles written by professional doctors and nutritionists.

Nevermind...

I can't believe I got sucked in here...:noway:

OP- Seriously go through the sexy pants link on the first page. IT IS GOLD.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    How do you loose weight?
  • abear007
    Options
    June 26, 2012 -- New research challenges the idea that a calorie is a calorie, suggesting that certain foods and diets may be better than others for burning calories and helping people maintain weight loss.

The study appears this week in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Study participants who had lost weight agreed to follow low-fat, very-low-carb, and low-glycemic-index diets for a month each.

Even though they ate the same number of calories on each of the three plans, the study participants burned about 300 calories a day less on the low-fat eating plan than they did on the very-low-carbohydrate one, which was modeled after the Atkins diet.

Calories Not Equal, Researcher Says

The very-low-carb plan and the low-glycemic-index plan -- which stresses a variety of high fiber and minimally processed foods -- also resulted in better insulin sensitivity (necessary to process blood sugar effectively) and cholesterol levels.

This suggests that very-low-fat diets may actually slow a person's metabolism down to a level where it is not burning calories as effectively as it could, says researcher David S. Ludwig, MD, PhD, who directs the Optimal Weight for Life program at the Harvard-affiliated Children's Hospital in Boston.

Ludwig has long studied the low-glycemic-index diet and is one of the diet's main proponents.

He says while people often lose weight on very-low-fat and very-low-carbohydrate diets, the vast majority end up gaining the weight back very quickly.

"From a metabolic perspective our study suggests that all calories are not alike," Ludwig tells WebMD. "The quality of the calories going in is going to affect the number of calories going out."

The full article can be found here: http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20120626/all-calories-not-created-equal-study-suggests

This is not intended as an plug for Atkins per se, but to point out that this is what researchers are finding. And this is a far as proving the relating of my own experience as I intend to go - and farther than I should since anyone truly interested could easily find it for themselves.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    How do you loose weight?

Set it free in the wilderness. :wink:
  • Camino66
    Camino66 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Exercise for your mind and spirit. Eat better for your health. Eat less for weight loss. Take it in day-to-day increments while always recognizing the "immediate rewards" of dieting. You are rewarded EVERY day that you take steps to care for your body. Make sure you recognize that intrinsic happiness and your diet will not seem like a sacrifice but rather a logical way to live life because you feel so good about yourself.

Good luck and Keep the faith!

This. Well said.
  • kristan_manley
    Options
    I didn't say "you tube = the latest research", I said someone could find some information there if a person is interested in learning more about it which is a very different thing. If you're just interested in being asshat and looking for a fight, I'm not. You do what works for you, offer that advice if you want, and I'll do what works for me, offering it as an option. That sounds fair to me. Sheesh.

If you're going to present information, asking you to provide a link (or some other access) to it is a reasonable request. Making a statement that akin to "studies are out there that show [whatever]" isn't really helpful. If you're going to take a stance, it's generally considered appropriate to be able to support it directly. The onus is on you to support your position.

I think that the request for proof of the research claim is rather a fair request. It seems you are being rather defensive about it rather than helping to educate everyone with the information you seem so keen on presenting. I know that I am new here, so I can not speak for one way or the other working best, but it seems common sense to me that if you are going to quote research you need to be able to back up the claim with real data and information rather than calling people an "asshat??" for wanting to educate themselves rather than blindly take the vague information provided.

By the way.... whats an asshat???
  • abear007
    Options
    Now, you can say that fat is metabolized differently than carbohydrates, and you would be correct.

But Calories are Calories. Heat is heat.
    And this is a diet forum, not a physics forum, so considering how different calories are metabolized and treated in the body seems more than appropriate Sorry.