1000 Calories a Day, Not Hungry - Bad/Ok?

Options
Keeping this short. I'm 25, female, not in great shape/don't currently exercise, 5'6, trying to lose 10 pounds (142 right now, aiming for about 132). I've been aiming to eat 1200 calories a day, and I've been doing pretty well, haven't been too hungry because I generally choose the right foods. I'm wondering if it's okay to eat less than 1200 calories per day if i'm just not feeling hungry? This usually happens when I have emotional distress, which I have right now. Will my body go straight into starvation mode making it harder for me to lose fat? Thanks for your advice.

Replies

• swertyqwerty
    swertyqwerty Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    What do you eat in a typical day? Just curious.

I'm not a doctor but I think you're probably fine. Just check in with yourself and if you ever feel uncomfortable up the calories.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    bad bad bad bad bad
  • mallorytravels
    mallorytravels Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Fruit, veggies, cheese, chicken, gluten free crackers - that's pretty much all I have been eating except for alcohol and some deviant nibbles. No bread or pasta or gluten anything. No refined sugar.
  • swertyqwerty
    swertyqwerty Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You're eating really nutritious food. I think a few days at 1000 when you feel stressed is not going to kill you, but if it lasts more than that you should make yourself eat more healthy calories until you reach 1200.
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you go down to 1000 calories a day and still feel fine, then go ahead and stick with it. If, however, you start to feel tired or get extremely hungry (perhaps after a few days of feeling fine), then go back to 1,200 per day.
  • kayla554
    kayla554 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Prepare to feel overly hungry in a week or less of eating less than 1000 cals a day.. which might cause you to start binging. That's why it might be a bad idea..
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. You'll probably naturally want to eat a little more on following days, or whenever your stress lightens up. If we went into starvation mode by listening to our bodies instead of an app, how do all the people on earth (and animals) not counting calories avoid being in starvation mode all the time?
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode? no such thing.

If it works for you, keep doing it. I know lots of people that have lost and maintained on 1k per day. No biggie if it helps you achieve your goals.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP how accurately are you logging? are you weighing and measuring your food? if not then odds are you are eating more than you think and this is a non-issue
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Depends on your goals OP.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry you aren't hungry. You can't force yourself to eat more because if you're anything like me, you end up throwing up everything you ate because your body can't handle it. Don't force anything on yourself you can't take. You won't do any damage to your body this way.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. You'll probably naturally want to eat a little more on following days, or whenever your stress lightens up. If we went into starvation mode by listening to our bodies instead of an app, how do all the people on earth (and animals) not counting calories avoid being in starvation mode all the time?

Yes, we need to listen to our bodies!! However, sometimes we allow our bodies to believe that we don't need more.

OP... I wouldn't maintain 1000 calories daily, but doing it once in awhile isn't terrible. I'd say the same thing for someone who is eating over their calorie goal. I had eaten below my calorie goal for today, but felt satisfied. After my workout, I was hungry, so I allowed myself to eat some turkey. I'm still below my goal, but I allow myself to flex a bit.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    well hunger is regulated by the hormones leptin and ghrelin which can very easily be effected by things that have nothing to do with how much food you've eaten or how much your body needs. so eally, hunger or the lack thereof isnt a a fool proof of whether or not one should be eating

OP stated that she's under some emotional stress which for many people means a loss of appetite. i bet once the issue is resolved she'll be back to normal
  • girl_w_2_forks_and_a_knife
    Options
    Be careful. 1000 calories and your body may go into starvation mode. Talk with your doctor or a nutrionist. I would not advocate that you consume 1000 calories purposefully.

Read below via: http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/3-reasons-why-eating-less-than-1000-calories-is-a-waste-of-time-3347.html

When you want to lose weight, it can be tempting to drop your calorie intake extremely low. Most people reason that the less they eat the faster they’ll lose weight, but this is definitely not true.
    If you’ve ever been tempted to do this, take a look at the following important reasons why eating less than 1000 calories is a waste of time.

REASON #1

The first and obvious reason is because your body needs more than 1000 calories to sustain itself. Yes, you could technically survive on 1000 calories or less, but you’d be extremely malnourished, weak, and sickly. Maybe you don’t mind that if it’s only for a short period of time while you lose weight? Then read on because the next reason might change your mind.
    See: Calorie Deficit Calculator

REASON #2

Eating less than 1000 calories also sets you up for a major binge-fest. Did you know that many food cravings are caused by a deficiency in one or more nutrients? Did you know that many other food cravings are caused by uncomfortable emotions? Eating fewer than 1000 calories will certainly cause your levels of key nutrients to dip too low, but you’ll also feel irritable, stressed, fatigued, and deprived, which immediately makes you start craving certain foods with a vengeance! You may be able to deny those cravings for awhile, but they’ll just get stronger until you finally give in – and when you do give in, you’re probably going to eat everything in sight.

REASON #3

If those two reasons aren’t enough for you, eating too few calories is also a waste of time because of the damage you do to your metabolism. When you drop your calorie intake too low, your body immediately goes on high alert and slows everything down to conserve energy and protect vital organ functions. So even if you are able to drop a few pounds quickly at first, your weight loss will soon stall. Worse, as soon as you go back to a normal calorie intake, you’ll start GAINING weight because now your metabolism is slower than it was before so you can’t eat as many calories and maintain your weight.
    As you can see, it really IS a waste of time to eat less than 1000 calories. There are many more effective ways to lose weight, like eating moderately and exercising to burn more calories. That is a formula that has worked for centuries and it will work for you too.

How Many Calories Should You Eat?

At a bare minimum, the general rule of thumb is that women should eat at least 1200 calories a day; men should eat minimum 1800 calories a day.

Do you exercise a lot? Have a job where you’re standing all day? You’d need to eat more than the minimum.
  • girl_w_2_forks_and_a_knife
    Options
    I read an article on Dr. Oz's website about the "zig zag" diet. You consume 1200 calories one day; the next day you consume 1000; and then the day after you consume 1100 calories. Seems extreme to me. I guess it could work for the short term although I didn't' see the recommended time length. Personally, I wouldn't bother with it. Just eat healthy and exercise and occasionally indulge.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/3-surprising-ways-break-through-your-weight-loss-plateau?page=2
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    So many people advocating 1000 calorie diets it's ridiculous.
    Is there anything more sacred about a 24 hour span than any other, besides it's what MFP makes sub-totals on? No one told her to eat 1000 forever or for weeks or months. Who cares if she eats 1000 today and 2000 tomorrow? Or next week? If she called it IF it'd be accepted. If she said she didn't eat breakfast and wasn't hungry, no one would argue that's not ok. Our bodies don't run on midnight totals like MFP.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,001 Member
    Options
    Girl-w-2-fork, forget about Dr oz, zigzag diets and starvation mode - load of nonsense.

OP if you are eating 1000 calories for couple of days or such, due to temporary stressful event - no big deal.
    It is the average that matters and many people eat more or less than usual at times.

However an ongoing amount of 1000 calories is not enough.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    There is so much NO in this thread...

OP, your profile says you have 8 pounds to lose. I don't know how tall you are, or if you are weighing your food, but at 1000 calories per day, you are probably not getting the protein required to maintain lean muscle mass. Yes, you will lose weight if your are actually eating that low. However, a higher percentage of that will be muscle, and you will be far more likely to see those pounds return (with friends). When you get to your goal weight, you won't look the way you want because of muscle loss. You are better off setting your goals to .5 pounds per week, eating at a reasonable deficit, going slowly, and getting the results you want.