Super obese, why isn't the weight falling off me?

Options

Replies

• Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    You're stuffing your face still. To maintain 440 lbs you'd need to eat around 2800 calories a day.

Where did you get that number from? I'm 80 pounds less than the OP and I have to eat 3700 calories to maintain.

I did a simple tdee calculation and set it to sedentary,
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Open up the diary so we can take a look, if you don't have a food scale get one today.
  • AnswerzPwease
    AnswerzPwease Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You're stuffing your face still. To maintain 440 lbs you'd need to eat around 2800 calories a day.

Where did you get that number from? I'm 80 pounds less than the OP and I have to eat 3700 calories to maintain.

Im not sure what calculator youre using but that seems about 1500 calories off.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If you could change your diary from private, people could probably help give better advice. Most of the time it is due to inaccurate logging or even just a couple of incorrect entries in MFP (if you use member submitted things) in something that you eat regular could make a difference.

For example, logging "medium banana" could give calories based on a banana of say 70g, but what you think is a medium banana could acually be 120g. Not mega difference in the grand scheme of things but could make a difference.

For exercise, why not try some sitting down exercises? I know just some warms ups that have me swinging my arms around can get my heart rate up, and anything that gets the heart pumping a little is better than nothing.

Best of luck to you! x
  • jcastleberry
    Options
    Just keep it up.. a pound a week is 1 pound closer. As soon as you can - add muscle - muscles help burn the calories! If you can't walk - get a barbell, you can improvise those - like a clock grocery sack full of sand or canned peas, etc :) There are a number of shoulder and arm muscles you could build.
  • Supertact
    Options

All that matters is to be 440 lbs and claim to not be losing at 1800 cals a day is flat out BS.

I'm 6'1 185 and lose at 2350.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I am 440 lbs. I have been sticking 100% to an 1800 calorie diet with 40% coming from carbs. No, I can't increase my calories, I've tried and just gain weight. I've been very sedentary so my metabolism is shot. I'm struggling to even lose a lb a week.

My dr is pushing very hard for weight loss surgery but I don't want it. She doesn't understand why the weight isn't melting off someone my size and frankly I don't know either. Going from a fast food and pizza diet to a restricted calorie lean meats and vegetable diet should drop weight. Do I have to go low low carb in order for this to work?

I also struggle with painful arthritis in my knee which limits activity. It's painful for me to even walk much. I don't have access to a pool. I am so determined to lose the weight this time and have been so good weighing, measuring and tracking all my food, why isn't this working??

I'd first be 100% confident that you're eating 1800 calories - always use a food scale and try to be as accurate as possible. Don't take any short cuts, don't omit anything from your food log, and do not guestimate anything - do that for a few weeks and see if you're still seeing 1 lb/week. And while I rarely suggest it, you may want to consider experimenting with lower carb options to see if they affect you differently (try getting your log 100% accurate first). You don't necessarily need to go ketogenic but, given the circumstances, you may well benefit from eating a low carb diet. If it was me, I would experiment with my carb macro before going the weight loss surgery route.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    DON'T Have the surgery!!! OMG I can tell you from my own experience of what I've seen in friends and family that it is NOT a good thing!! It's quite discouraging if you don't see the scale sliding in the downward direction so there may be other factors happening here. You may not be measuring your food accurately or at all. You may be eating too many carbs still to decrease weight. You may need to get up and walk, even if it's down the driveway and back, you really should be getting some kind of exercise. Don't give up ship and don't get discouraged...it took you YEARS to pack on the pounds, it will take you time to drop it off!!
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    What you eat can be as important as how much you eat. Try to eat as many high fiber, low sugar foods as possible. Try to eliminate all refined sugars. Aim for 5 servings of non-starchy vegetables every day (not potatoes or corn). Also, make sure you are getting enough good fats in your diet. If you don't, your metabolism will slow down. Balance is key. Drink plenty of water. Be patient. Weight loss can take a while. If nothing happens in a month, consult your doctor.
  • lindsayomalley
    lindsayomalley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would start by opening your journal so everyone can give you some solid advice based on the foods you are currently eating to reach your 1800 calories.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    With limited information, we can only provide limited answers.

OP:
    I suggest you read all of the links provided for you in this thread. There is a reason they are posted multiple times per day in multiple threads. (Excellent information that gives an excellent starting point.)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Here's some information that might help

Log your food accurately and honestly. Go for 80% good choices the other 20% don't worry so much about. I eat lots of delicious food and have consistently lost. Keep it simple find a REASONABLE deficit:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

Find an activity you enjoy doing - I found I love to ride my bike and lift heavy stuff :)

Here are 2 more threads that will help take the time to read them:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

People really need to stop posting these generic copy/paste messages on threads such as these.

This is a person with 250 pounds or more to lose. 2 lb's a week on someone with that much to look is not "ideal". Any gastric doctor in the world would agree, such as his/hers, would expect much more per week.

The links have valuable information for anyone that needs to lose weight. When I started I had close to 150 lbs to lose, just because it's a larger number doesn't mean the process is different just the deficit amount. And without being able to see her diary the links are the best advice that I could give to her.
  • WonkaCat
    WonkaCat Posts: 42
    Options
    I agree with others who have suggested you begin with exercises. We all had to start somewhere and even if it is just walking to the mailbox and back one day, then going a few extra steps the next day, that is the beginning. Anything to get your body moving. You can do seated exercises with dumbells or floor exercises as well. I know it can be very difficult to exercise with body pain from arthritis but getting the weight off and strengthening your muscles are going to take some of the pressure off the joints. Good luck to you. You CAN do it!!
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    1. Make sure you really are eating 1800 calories a day. Measure and weigh everything. Be 100% honest. My guess is, you are probably eating more than that.

2. Get moving. Even if it is just taking a walk around your house. It will get easier with time.

3. If you havent been tested for thyroid issues, ask your doctor for these tests.
  • AnswerzPwease
    AnswerzPwease Posts: 142 Member
    Options

All that matters is to be 440 lbs and claim to not be losing at 1800 cals a day is flat out BS.

I'm 6'1 185 and lose at 2350.

No, it's not.

But people really need to stop judging on this forum because they do not know the medical issues that are impacting a persons metabolism. Does she has cushings or graves or hyperthydroidism? Does she have a metabolic disorder?

The answer is you don't know.

Just because YOU lose at 2350 doesn't mean someone else will.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP: If you are not losing you are not in a deficit, which means your eating more than you think. 1. Read the sexy-pants thread!!! Very valuable information!!! 2. Get a food scale, ASAP!!!! Good luck!!
  • Supertact
    Options

No, it's not.

But people really need to stop judging on this forum because they do not know the medical issues that are impacting a persons metabolism. Does she has cushings or graves or hyperthydroidism? Does she have a metabolic disorder?

The answer is you don't know.

Just because YOU lose at 2350 doesn't mean someone else will.

It is an open public forum and give my opinion to anyone.

She's eating too much.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    First, listen to your doctor. She/he knows your medical history and knows if you have issues needing treatment.

Secondly, surgery is also a decision to make with a medical professional and counselor. Not from this forum

Third, the links that were posted have amazing information. Maybe you will do things a little differently because of your weight, but as you lose, the education you will get from them is very valuable.

Fourth, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1103164-3-yrs-312lbs-lost-1yr-from-bodylift-and-maintenance

Good luck to you.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Please look on youtube and Sparkpeople for videos of seated exercise...there are a LOT of options out there for people with limited mobility, for whatever reasons. I just did several months of seated exercise due to surgery restrictions, and it was all doable and helpful.

As for the surgery...as a person who has been a patient with extensive abdominal surgery (due to cancer), and as a medical professional who works in a trauma & surgical ICU...I would really, really, really, hold it off as a last ditch thing to do. The guts are funny things and ANY bit of tinkering in there can lead to a lifetime of problems. If your current doctor only pushes surgery and can't or won't help you with really digging through the stack of potential issues you may have going on, find a new one. The issues that caused you to be obese in the first place will still be there after the surgery, you may as well deal with them now rather than deal with a desire to stress eat after the surgery, or have endocrine problems, or whatever.

There are members here who have lost 100's of pounds. Find their success stories, read them, know what is possible for others is possible for you, listen to what they have to say, and get to it. Don't make it too complicated at this point.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Avoid the surgery. Try weighing and tracking you food. Make healthier decisions about what your putting in your mouth. I know I've been avoiding a lot of processed food such as deli meat ( a lot of sodium) , eat smaller meals more often. I eat up to 5x a day. Even if it's on 4oz of low fat cottage cheese with a couple strawberries cut up. Drink lots of water. Buy a 16oz cup with a straw and start by drinking between your cups of coffee.

****I know at least two people who've had surgery just to re-gain all back. Another lady could only eat raman noodles or soups because her body couldn't process good foods.