Picking running shoes for a first time flat footed runner

Options

Replies

• bidimus
    bidimus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have flat feet. Since you are new to running, take some time to watch a few videos on Chi Running or Forefoot Running or Low Impact Running. Search youtube, watch, and learn. All of the techniques have a similar thread of leaning at the ankles and landing on the front of your foot. It will reduce impact on your knees and arch. Go to a running store and get their opinion, try a few different brands, styles, and designs. As you begin running pay attention to aches, pains, and imbalances and watch how your shoes wear out and how this affects how you feel. Learn about your particular biomechanics and how they change as you get stronger and better at running. I started with one kind of shoe, and now wear a completely different kind, on the opposite end of the shoe spectrum. Go with what works for you, there is no "right" answer about what kind of shoe you should be wearing, and there are a lot more factors associated with shoes and running success than your arches.

I'll add natural running and barefoot running to this list. All of these are techniques that optimize the natural biomechanics of your body.

OP:

My recommendation to a new runner is avoid shoes that "correct" your form until you have one. If you go with a running shoe consider a neutral shoe until you have a good stable running form that works for your body. I've even heard of barefoot runners with flat feet showing improvement as their feet strengthened and form improved.

I tried running shoes at first and each one resulted in a different issue that could be linked to an unbalance in my form. Ultimately I moved to a barefoot/minimalist technique and shoes. The focus instead was on strengthening the entire chain from core to toe and improving my running form.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    The results of the study concluded that you should just pick a shoe that's comfortable!

But you won't find one that's comfortable without one that addresses your particular gait. Which is what a running store will hopefully do for you. When I run in the wrong shoes? Pain. When I run in the right shoes? No pain. Pretty simple and no expensive study needed.

Many people with flat feet overpronate. Those who overpronate typically need stability shoes. The degree to which you overpronate, however, will determine which stability shoes (or even a motion control shoe if it's quite severe) you need. It may still take some trial and error to get the right shoe.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to say to go to a running shoe store. I'm not discrediting that advice. But, I have the flattest and widest feet in the world lol and these are so &&%^@#&*(@ COMFY!!! There is barely any arch in the sole. Its almost completely flat on the inside! If you have flat and wide feet, you'll understand my excitement of finding a comfortable shoe haha. Another plus is that they are very affordable. I've been using the Cohesion 6 for a while and will need to replace them soon. They just "upgraded" this shoe so I'll have to get the Cohesion 7. I tried them on the other day and they fit the same as my 6's.

Saucony Cohesion

http://www.famousfootwear.com/en-US/Product/00433-1031343/Saucony/Grey_Mint_Navy/Womens+Cohesion+7.aspx
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I read an article that talked about the pointlessness of gait analysis..

hmm, one article, vs hundreds of articles concluding that shoe type can be a contributor to injury risk and running efficiency.

I skimmed the extract, but it would be more meaningful to know where it came from. The conclusion is in line with much other thinking, injury risk and running efficiency are affected by a wide range of different factors, including form, biomechanical characteristics, terrain, experience etc. Appropriate shoes can help, but they're not the be all and end all. Too often on here people do jump to shoes as the answer, sometimes it is, and sometimes it's not.

Having the right shoes can contribute to adopting the correct running form, but equally one needs to be conscious of he form and learn to run. I know that when I'm fatigued my pace lengthens, which can lead to pain. If I run in shoes that are too cushioned, ie designed for someone who under-pronates, they'll encourage a long stride length, which can give me knee pain and serious shin pain. If I run in support shoes I'll not need to focus on my form, so can think about other things.

They're certainly part of the answer.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to say to go to a running shoe store. I'm not discrediting that advice. But, I have the flattest and widest feet in the world lol and these are so &&%^@#&*(@ COMFY!!! There is barely any arch in the sole. Its almost completely flat on the inside! If you have flat and wide feet, you'll understand my excitement of finding a comfortable shoe haha. Another plus is that they are very affordable. I've been using the Cohesion 6 for a while and will need to replace them soon. They just "upgraded" this shoe so I'll have to get the Cohesion 7. I tried them on the other day and they fit the same as my 6's.

Saucony Cohesion

http://www.famousfootwear.com/en-US/Product/00433-1031343/Saucony/Grey_Mint_Navy/Womens+Cohesion+7.aspx

The reviews on this shoe are great. I'm thinking since they are so inexpensive and I've literally just started running that I might give them a shot (if they fit well when I try them on) and invest more if I stick with it. I'm still in shock that I agreed to do this 5K...I've always said I would never consider running!
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I will then try to find their recommended shoe at a cheaper price somewhere else.

There is a school of thought that says if you're going to go in and benefit from a service that the shop offer, that it's only reasonable to buy the shoes from there as well, they're not a charity after all.

One of the benefits of going into a store is that you may find somewhere that has a returns policy, something you won't get online, should the shoes that they identify not actually be appropriate. That's a big bonus for a new runner as it can take time for the gait to settle.

Also, building relationships help, and the store may have some form of affiliated club, or coaching schemes. They may also have a loyalty scheme.
  • NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My most recent pair is Asics Gel Kayano. I went to a specialty store, and had my gait analyzed. What happened to me is what a few people mentioned in your post..... went too hard too fast. That resulted in physical therapy and a $560 bill later (after insurance). During therapy, I was taught how to run right (on my midfoot, as most flat footers don't). I'll be curious to see if they recommend the same shoe or not, when I am approved to run again.

My advice; get your gait analyzed. Specialty stores exist for a reason. Don't care about the look of the shoe, as long as it's exactly what your feet need. Most, if not all, stores will let you return them if they don't feel good (I returned a pair two months after I bought them).

Good luck!
  • lavaughan69
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I read an article that talked about the pointlessness of gait analysis..

hmm, one article, vs hundreds of articles concluding that shoe type can be a contributor to injury risk and running efficiency.

I skimmed the extract, but it would be more meaningful to know where it came from. The conclusion is in line with much other thinking, injury risk and running efficiency are affected by a wide range of different factors, including form, biomechanical characteristics, terrain, experience etc. Appropriate shoes can help, but they're not the be all and end all. Too often on here people do jump to shoes as the answer, sometimes it is, and sometimes it's not.

Having the right shoes can contribute to adopting the correct running form, but equally one needs to be conscious of he form and learn to run. I know that when I'm fatigued my pace lengthens, which can lead to pain. If I run in shoes that are too cushioned, ie designed for someone who under-pronates, they'll encourage a long stride length, which can give me knee pain and serious shin pain. If I run in support shoes I'll not need to focus on my form, so can think about other things.

They're certainly part of the answer.

Here's link to the article I read.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/fitness/debunking-the-myth-of-specialized-running-shoes/article4268207/
  • Irishsquid62
    Irishsquid62 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Interesting article, but from personal experience as a longtime runner and marathoner, I found a gait analysis very beneficial. I was skeptical until I finally acquiesced and had one done at Road Runner Sports. I discovered I'd been misinterpreting my foot mechanics for over 20 years. I've been running with the proper type shoe and custom fitted insoles for 4 years now and the knee and foot problems that plagued me for years have virtually disappeared.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Interesting, but one extremely small self selecting sample does not a convincing case make... Particularly when they have to wheel out a minimalist shoe advocate as support.

Note that minimalist shoes can work for some people, largely because it's as painful as hel to run in them if you don't have your form sorted.
  • Jinnie69
    Jinnie69 Posts: 22
    Options
    Get fitted for shoes that work for you, at a running store. My feet always thank me, and I have medical condition that causes flares in my plantar fascia all the time. Be kind to your feet.
  • YamaMaya1
    YamaMaya1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My feet are flat, and I gave up the fancy supports and inserts and went "barefoot". I keep my feet bare as often as possible, and bought vivo barefoot shoes for outside. as a result my feet are stronger and I don't get foot pain anymore. Before this I was crippled after a full day of walking, now I can keep up with my fast walking husband easily.
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    A cautionary tale on "motion control" shoes. I always thought I had flat feet (based on footprints and what I'd been told at running stores), and had gait analysis done, so jogged (or race walked... go ahead... make fun of me) for years in "motion control" shoes. Well, last year, as I was training for my first long distance event, and as I was getting to 20 or more miles a week, I started having crazy pain in the tops of my feet. It got bad enough that I could not reasonably flex and extend my feet to go up and down stairs normally, and I was getting some ankle pain too, so off to the doc I went. Well, seeing a podiatrist was truly illuminating. He took X-rays of my feet and showed me, via bone/joint alignment, that I do NOT have "flat" feet, but that I have very flexible feet. When weighted, my feet spread out a lot. So, I'd been jamming my feet into shoes that basically kept my feet from doing what they need to do to support me. As the doc put it, I could have kept using motion control shoes for years without problems if I stayed at lower mileage, but "mileage reveals everything." He said that shoe companies can make a ton of money selling stability and motion control shoes, but more often than not, forcing the body to move in a way totally different than how it has since first learning to walk/run can cause problems up the limbs (feet, ankles, shins, knees, hips). In his practice, he rarely tries to sell people on custom orthodics or specific shoe shapes. His only advice to me was to look for a shoe that "looks like a tennis racket" on the bottom - meaning the toe box has plenty of room for the foot - because, regardless of individual foot shape, the foot will swell with mileage.

Well, it cost me months of PT to resolve the tendonitis, and a new pair of shoes, but now I walk comfortably in a "neutral" shoe (Brooks Ghost) and wear simple off the shelf inserts (Super Feet green).

Soooo.... the moral of the story for me (and for lots of people) was to keep it simple and just wear a neutral shoe. Best of luck finding something comfortable for you!!!
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Bad shoes can cause more damage than most people understand, especially people with “normal feet”.

You know those Dr. Sholls “centers” in Walmart or Target that tell you what’s wrong with your feet? My feet are so flat that the machine keeps telling me to take my shoes off.

I swear by my local running store because of the service and the best thing I ever got from them was free. They showed me a trick when tying my shoes (my heels are really narrow which causes a whole host of issues). I switched to lock laces but it really did help.
    Over explain what you need the shoes for…I run with my dogs in agility and like trail running shoes for class (which is outdoors) and I don’t think he ever understood what I was talking about. It was still better than having to explain it in the ER when I got a chip fracture.

Also look on their website…our store has a few big sales a year one if the weekend of our marathon and the other is the weekend after Thanksgiving.
  • lavaughan69
    Options

Interesting, but one extremely small self selecting sample does not a convincing case make... Particularly when they have to wheel out a minimalist shoe advocate as support.

Note that minimalist shoes can work for some people, largely because it's as painful as hel to run in them if you don't have your form sorted.

I'm not trying to make a case. I simply provided you with the link that you requested. As stated, I was getting very confused about shoe selection because I read contradicting things on the internet...hence why I posted the question on MFP to get better informed by people that have had experience using various running shoes.

I thank you for your opinion, and every one else that has taken the time to post their experiences. It's been very informative.

As I have just come off of a layoff and money is very very tight I think I will go try on the saucony runners to start with and then study some running techniques and if I stick with this running thing then I'll do the gait analysis and splurge on a more expensive shoe if it's recommended. At this point I don't even know if running is something I will enjoy.
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    +1 for the fitting at a running store.

Personally, my chiropractor recommended and I LOVE my Brooks.
    I also have arch issues and the brooks for over pronation have done me a world of good...feet used to hurt all the time now not at all...I weight about 240 so there is a lot of stress on my feet...good luck!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I'm not trying to make a case. I simply provided you with the link that you requested. As stated, I was getting very confused about shoe selection because I read contradicting things on the internet...hence why I posted the question on MFP to get better informed by people that have had experience using various running shoes.

I understand, I just have a degree of frustration about how badly mass media report on what I'd loosely describe as scientific issues. They don't debunk a myth on the basis of one small study, yet positioning it like that could lead someone to make decisions based on that.

From a personal perspective I used to try to run in shoes that were inappropriate for me; cushioned, very flexible. After many unsuccessful forays into running I got more appropriate shoes, and now I'm training for half marathon.
    As I have just come off of a layoff and money is very very tight I think I will go try on the saucony runners to start with and then study some running techniques and if I stick with this running thing then I'll do the gait analysis and splurge on a more expensive shoe if it's recommended. At this point I don't even know if running is something I will enjoy.

I didn't enjoy running until I had shoes that suited me.

Now that I'm more experienced at running, and I've sorted my form out I'm less dependent on having the correct shoes. In practice trail shoes generally don't have the same level of sophistication, given the nature of trails.

It's a little bit chicken and egg unfortunately.
  • lavaughan69
    Options
    I didn't enjoy running until I had shoes that suited me.

I'm not certain I'll enjoy running even with proper shoes! I'm really doing it to help an overweight friend that asked me to join her. That and I'm at my weight goal so could use something to strive for. So far the program is a bit easy for me but it's set for my friends fitness level, we'll see how much I like it when it becomes more challenging. So far the pace is so slow I could walk faster!!
  • Cpollard6608
    Cpollard6608 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have very flat feet, but I also supinate or roll outwards. Due to this, I had tremendous trouble finding the appropriate shoes for my running style. I was always told support shoes for overweight flat footed people, but the structure in the arch pushed me too far outside. It wasn't until I went to a running shoe store and explained to them what I had experienced with my previous shoes and what I was looking for in a shoe that I got fitted properly. I ended up going to New Balance, which I never thought I would, and wound up with the 1080s. They provide just enough cushion for me without being too soft. Good luck!
  • SHHitsKaty
    SHHitsKaty Posts: 301
    Options
    Go to a local running store and get properly fitted. I cannot beg this enough. I spent 8 weeks in physical therapy for running in shoes that I just bought because they were "running" shoes instead of getting properly fitted.

I am a flat foot as well, no arch whatsoever. I was put into Brooks GTS 14's and New Balance's (the exact pair I can't remember right now).