shallow

Options
2»

Replies

• BITEME_GRRR
    BITEME_GRRR Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Depends on your definition of Shallow.
    I have a long laundry list of stuff I want in a Mate ...Some are more critical than others, but the 'shallow' stuff is still on there. I do prefer someone with an athletic build and that has the same (active) interests I do....With that said my boyfriend is skinny and hates the gym ha ha.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Is having a preference for what you like being shallow?

Technically, yes. Shallow means "of little depth." Having a preference based on appearance hardly has a deep philosophical stimulus, does it? But that being said, so what? We are attracted to people based on a mixture of biology (nature) and cultural influence (nurture) and it's nearly impossible to change your preference even if you want to.

I do think it is a sign of being less shallow and more enlightened when we are attracted to a broader range of forms...not just the ideal .7 waist/hip ration and perfectly symmetrical and uniform features with perfect teeth. But that's my personal opinion.
  • BITEME_GRRR
    BITEME_GRRR Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Technically, yes. Shallow means "of little depth." Having a preference based on appearance hardly has a deep philosophical stimulus, does it? But that being said, so what? We are attracted to people based on a mixture of biology (nature) and cultural influence (nurture) and it's nearly impossible to change your preference even if you want to.

I do think it is a sign of being less shallow and more enlightened when we are attracted to a broader range of forms...not just the ideal .7 waist/hip ration and perfectly symmetrical and uniform features with perfect teeth. But that's my personal opinion.

Smugglesmacks - just curious - why is your weight ticker background a garlic??? lol.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Well would you exclude people outside of that preference even every other aspect of them was appealing? Would you STOP loving someone whom you once loved, whom once fit that preference because he/she no longer does fit that preference? How narrow is your range of preference?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It's not an either or. A person can have preferences, and still find others outside of that to be attractive. A person can be equally attracted to someone for physical and intelligence/personality. That's what chemistry is.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Nope. And this is coming from a fat girl lol. Shallow is treating someone like crap because of their appearance. You shouldn't be ashamed or have to justify what you like.

This.

And it isn't shallow to spend the time to go above and beyond a basic level of fitness to look the way you would like to look, either. In fact, to me it would sting a lot less to be rejected by someone based on my appearance if he was a walking advertisement for lifting heavy. rather than a walking advertisement for doughnuts.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

Smugglesmacks - just curious - why is your weight ticker background a garlic??? lol.

Actually it's a painting of garlic and onions that I painted. Cuz, I mean, garlic and onions! YUM!!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I would say no unless that's your only measure of what you like in a person. Or you treat people like crap if they don't measure up.

Otherwise everyone is gonna have preferences, only natural.