Walking as form of exercise??

Options

Replies

• gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Read thread below. It is pretty encouraging--in fact got me to start (again).
  • twrobbel
    twrobbel Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I walk 10,000 plus steps a day (about 4-5 miles a day). I break it up a few times a day mainly for the health benefits based on all the reports lately about how sitting. I try to step away from my desk twice a day and walk for about 20 min (one of these over lunch), and the rest at night walking the nature trail with my friend.

I don't really love it (was doing 8-10 miles a day- 20,000-25,000 steps per day), but I do love water aerobics and fit that in 6 days a week. I traded the water aerobics for the reduction in steps down to 10,000-12,000. Of course, most of my dislike of walking could be the fact that it is hot and muggy, allergies and biting mosquitos....and I despise walking indoors on treadmills.

Like many others have said- do what you love. It makes it easier to eliminate excuses.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I walk daily and don't do too much else (I also strength train twice a week but I work from home - so very little activity otherwise)- it's just doing some type of activity - to me though, diet is much more important than exercise
  • healthymelisa
    healthymelisa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I know from past experience that walking has always helped me lose the weight. I walk between 2 - 5 miles a day. I just started losing weight again I'm mostly walking and adding some weight training to the mix. It works for me. Give it a try.
  • JBillheimer
    JBillheimer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been walking as my main form of exercise for one year now. I've lost 40lbs. I wear a pedometer every day and my goal is 10,000 steps. I reach this by walking a concentrated 1 hour either outside or at a gym. If that hour doesn't have me hit the 10,000 I'm pretty close and then by the end of the day I'm usually well over.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Walking is an excellent way to maintain good fitness and lose weight if you are overweight. Don't let yourself be convinced that somehow walking doesn't count.

Now to get really fit and athletic looking, yeah okay that takes more than just walking...but you'd be surprised how far just walking will take you.

Most weight I've ever lost in a short time was from backpacking which is basically just walking all day long for multiple days in a row (think 75,000 steps a day). Yeah that is extreme but i lost about 10 pounds in 14 days so yeah, walking can make you lose weight.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    for some, walking maintains. for some it has to be amped up to loose. 10,000-12,000+ steps a day One woman registers 22,000+ steps 24-7., one day 29,000 steps: ... Is a dance teacher so she seriously steps. Im lucky to reach 10,000 and that means working it.
  • Canuname
    Canuname Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Walking works for me. It is my main form of exercise. Just have been able to start weight training. I really need to start that.
    Just start out slow and short and increase time. Then try to add more speed and time. Soon you will be walking faster and longer distances. Remember though, that the body is amazing and adapt to a lot of things, if you push yourself even when you don't think you can go anymore your body will get you there. The more you push yourself and don't give up the faster your stamina will grow and you will be able to do even more.
  • julesribar
    julesribar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh it most definitely works! Stay at a great clip (4.3 miles per hr) and believe me, you will see and feel the difference!!!
  • Sonshine1296
    Sonshine1296 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost a bunch of weight...yet but I walk about 2 miles 3-4 times per week and have lost 24 lbs since March. I am upping it soon but have definitely seen results just from walking and watching my food intake.
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'd go every day if my feet would let me--maybe as I get lighter : D
    Walking up the local Mt. "Ruby"
    and it is overcast--yay!

[imgIMG_0762_zps674f85c1.jpg
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Starting tonight, I'll be walking for 30 minutes 4 times a week and working my way up from there. It's the only exercise I really love.
  • cherryberryred0
    cherryberryred0 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use walking as my main form of exercise, it deffo helps maintain or drop lbs along with the calorie deficit.
    I do a minimum of 1 hour a day at moderate pace sometimes an hour n thirty and I've been very pleased with the results :)
  • Veil5577
    Options
    Speaking of which, does anyone know of a good free walking app I could get for my phone? I have a Samsung, the big one. I can't afford to buy a HRM
  • njmark72
    njmark72 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Walking is a huge part of my exercise regimen and I still mostly walk (sometimes run and jog) everyday. I started with walking 3.5 miles a day at a pace of between 3.75 and 4mph. Now I do between 5-7 miles a day between 4-5mph depending on how much I run.

If I am nursing a foot injury which happens, I walk at about 4mph for 4 miles.

I walked for the first month and then one day I just felt like going faster so I started running. You'll get there.

Mark
    62262086.png
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Speaking of which, does anyone know of a good free walking app I could get for my phone? I have a Samsung, the big one. I can't afford to buy a HRM
    Try Map My Walk or even any of the good running apps should also work for walking. I assume you're wanting to track how far you went, etc.
  • njmark72
    njmark72 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yes -> MapMyWalk.... It's perfect!

Mark
    62262086.png
  • Veil5577
    Options
    Thanks! Yes, I want to know the mileage :)
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    See my ticker below....yep...all lost using walking as my primary exercise. It does help, but the biggest and most important aspect of losing weight is your calorie intake.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Walking is great .. and a great way to get that fat off.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!