Researchers claiming it's impossible to keep weight off

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I don't care enough about whether you believe me, or any study, to go through the trouble of searching for articles and studies on the topic I've come across through the years.

You can believe whatever percentages you like, whatever helps your road. Has nothing to do with me sir.

Oh ok, thanks, now I know in the future not to try and have a discussion with you. Will save us both a lot of time.

I don't post on MFP to have a discussion specifically with you. I don't even know who the hell you are LOL. So yes, that works just fine.

The thing is that if you refer to studies, don't supply references and blow off people who try to engage intelligently with you, then you are essentially talking to yourself - just adding valueless noise.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Gotcha. And I truly appreciate you linking those.

My initial reason for posting was because someone (not you) said every single study shows abysmal failure rate, and I wasn't sure if that was true and felt it was a pretty strong statement to make and not back up.

BTW - Was one of the studies you mentioned, the paper that the original news article referenced?

Here is an interesting study...

Tracked people from the NWCR who had successfully kept weight off for a year (followed them for 10 years after that):

http://www.ajpmonline.org/article/S0749-3797(13)00528-X/abstract

Mean weight loss was 31.3 kg (95% CI=30.8, 31.9) at baseline, 23.8 kg (95% CI=23.2, 24.4) at 5 years and 23.1±0.4 kg (95% CI=22.3, 23.9) at 10 years. More than 87% of participants were estimated to be still maintaining at least a 10% weight loss at Years 5 and 10. Larger initial weight losses and longer duration of maintenance were associated with better long-term outcomes. Decreases in leisure-time physical activity, dietary restraint, and frequency of self-weighing and increases in percentage of energy intake from fat and disinhibition were associated with greater weight regain.

Now THAT is helpful. Thanks!!!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Watching this with interest...

I lost 90lbs by doing it slowly, it was a lifestyle change that I was going to stick to blah blah blah. I kept it off for a year. Then I got a trapped nerve in my back which meant I had to give up running. Then I changed jobs and am more sedentary. Suddenly 25lbs has piled back on and I am knocking at the door of overweight again. So I'm back to lose it, hoping that I don't take my eye off the ball again. But for me, maintenance was just as hard as losing it in the first place, but without the highs of seeing the scale drop.

This is what kills me every time. I know that weight maintenance = portion control but I have a hard time caring about what I'm putting in my body when I'm not actively engaged in something.
  • yungibear
    yungibear Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    In to save this thread for later reading!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I've read and reread this article and where does it say that they revert back to old habits? It doesn't say that anywhere that 95% of people revert to old eating habits and a sedentary lifestyle.
    No, according to scientists, it's magic!
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I would say that is an opinion piece written by a journalist not a scientific paper. Just because a journalist talks about what certain scientists think personally doesn't make that science.

Scientists are people, they have opinions too. Not everything that exits a scientists mouth is science.

Agh... True.
  • foxsylph
    foxsylph Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    (Joining this thread for later reading and replying.)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I would say that is an opinion piece written by a journalist not a scientific paper. Just because a journalist talks about what certain scientists think personally doesn't make that science.

Scientists are people, they have opinions too. Not everything that exits a scientists mouth is science.

Agh... True.

GREAT POINT!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

The article isn't written by a journalist. It says "For psychologist Traci Mann, who has spent 20 years running an eating lab at the University of Minnesota..."
  • mayerrocks
    mayerrocks Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I agree. Diets don't work. HABIT CHANGE IS WHAT WORKS. Period.
  • likitisplit
    Options

The article isn't written by a journalist. It says "For psychologist Traci Mann, who has spent 20 years running an eating lab at the University of Minnesota..."

The byline for the article is Kelly Crowe at CBC news.

That quote is a lead in to an OPINION expressed by a psychologist who studies eating behavior.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I agree. Diets don't work. HABIT CHANGE IS WHAT WORKS. Period.

And habit change is where the shoe sticks. People have done it though. A whole lot of people, depending on how you're counting them.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    http://www.weightymatters.ca/2014/06/more-on-almost-impossible-feat-of.html
    What I'm getting at is that I think what makes maintaining weight loss seem "almost impossible" are the goal posts society has generally set to measure success. No doubt, if the goal set is losing every last ounce of weight that some stupid chart says you're supposed to lose then the descriptor "almost impossible" may well be fair. On the other hand, if the goal is to cultivate the healthiest life that you can honestly enjoy, subtotal losses, often with significant concomitant health improvements, are definitely within your reach.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

Traci Mann? :laugh:
  • TrojanDr
    TrojanDr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is one of the most infuriating pieces of garbage I've read in a long time.

"Long-term weight loss happens to only the smallest minority of people."

It doesn't 'happen to' people. People make choices and these choices affect our health.

"...if we check back after five or 10 years, there's a good chance they will have put the weight back on. Only about five per cent of people who try to lose weight ultimately succeed, according to the research... Those kinds of stories really keep the myth alive..."

Myth: (n.) a widely held but false belief or idea.

It's not a false belief or idea that weight loss is possible. In fact, the idea that it is IMpossible is false, and downright insulting to the human race and our grand achievements. We have put people on the moon, but it's impossible for an individual to change his/her lifestyle? Laughable.

"You should still eat right, you should still exercise, doing healthy stuff is still healthy... It just doesn't make you thin."

Yes it does. Moreover 'thin' is a generally incomplete goal-- FIT and MOBILE are better ones. And training and nutrition can indeed lead to fitness and mobility for anyone.

"...we are held hostage to our biology, which is adapted to gain weight..."

No, we aren't. Biology is 1/3 the explanation for any human behavior, with psychology and sociology being the other 2/3. Any first-year psych student can explain this idea in detail. Perhaps these researchers should've consulted one.

I have my own theory as to why people in our society are unable to maintain healthy lifestyles: it's because we live in a culture that facilitates a pervasive refusal to take ACCOUNTABILITY, largely by throwing around excuses for self-destructive behavior and calling them science.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I ain't skirrred. LOL
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    This is just want people *want* to hear to prevent them from even feeling like they have to try. Sad that they post this kind of stuff, and then the next segment probably promote some new diet syrup or some crap!
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Okay… I'm confused. Now, granted, I'm nowhere close to maintenance level, so forgive me if this is ignorant…. but isn't weight essentially about calories in vs. calories out?

To lose weight you have less calories in than calories out.
    To gain weight you have more calories in than calories out.
    Maintaining weight should mean that you eat the same amount of calories as you burn. If a person really commits to losing weight and keeping it off… then maintaining really shouldn't be any harder than losing… correct?

Now, granted, our metabolism slows as we age… so unless we adjust our calorie intake to equal it… then yes… we will gain weight. And the less we weigh… the less calories we burn… so unless we adjust our calorie intake to account for that as well, then yes, we'll gain the weight back.

But for those who are determined to follow through… how does this make maintaining a weight loss "nearly impossible?" Or as I commonly hear on these boards..."harder than losing it?"

I don't wish to be unkind or judgmental… because heaven knows I'm in to place to do so!… But it seems to me that people who claim that maintaining weight loss is impossible or "even harder than losing it" are people who are trying to go back to their old ways of eating and don't really want to change long term.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    "Only about five per cent of people who try to lose weight ultimately succeed"

I don't think that is a bad outcome. If you just "try", you base your effort on chance. Weight management has nothing to do with luck. It's about knowledge, logic, and environment and behavior modification.