Can you really get rid of loose skin?

Options
13»

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much loose skin you have, how slowly you lost the extra weight, and how much time you give it. Genetics do play a part in skin elasticity, as well.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I think its different for everyone, I have some loose skin but not enough that I would consider surgery.
  • GraceArie87
    Options
    Depending on how slowly you lost the weight, you're body should naturally rid of the loose skin. My old supervisor lost around 70lbs over the course of a year and her skin shrinked naturally with it.
  • RachelSteeners
    RachelSteeners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm been using firming cream and bio oil. I have no idea if it's helping... but I hope so :D
  • pusheen12
    pusheen12 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    From what I am reading it seems that everyone is different and certain factors affect whether or not you will have excessive skin post weight loss such as age, gender, genetics, rate of loss, diet, nutrition exercise, water intake etc. It would be ideal to look like a kid again when the goal weight is reached. My mother who is in her eighties was never overweight and she and most of her friends have very loose skin on their arms and necks; it seems to be a natural part of the aging process despite weight gain for many. I for one am focusing on the health benefits of weight loss as opposed to cosmetic.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from my experience.

I am 5 ft 8ish and weigh between 138 and 141 lbs. I had our one and only child in my 40s and gained 48 lbs. My BMI is between 21.5 and 22.5 (depending upon time or day/water retention, where I am in the range.) I have loose skin over my abs...that skin stretched with pregnancy in my 40s and hasn't ever snapped back.

Now my friends who gained more weight in their late 20/early 30s with their pregnancies, regained their abs.

But, we have a great kid, so it was worth it!
  • cynthiaabarca54
    Options
    Obviosly time and excercise help, but after gaining about 60lbs over the course of my pregnancy and now loosing 34lbs over the last year, I have found that what has helped me the most is using the Ultimate Body Applicators from ItWorks! Of course no product is instant magic but I have used 6 now and they have really helped, I thought that a tummy tuck would be the only thing to ever help what i felt looked like a deflated ballon hanging from where my stomach should be lol... but I have to.say that its probably 75% better, and a bonus that i wasnt expecting is that they also helped with my stretch marks...
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I fully intend to wave my loose skin proudly as a badge of courage -- or enter dog shows as a sharpei.

I just spewed coffee out of my nose!!! Haha!!!!
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I had 3 huge babies and carried the baby weight for 20 years. Finally lost it last year, a little too fast if I am honest. Was not a good shape to start with. I have lifted weights, plus a little body brushing and a lot of bio oil. I still have a little more fat to lose but I am not in a rush. The skin certainly feels a little less loose. My research indicated it could take me 2 years and obviously still won't look like my 20 year old skin. I don't care. I still look way better than I ever dreamed I would at 48 ????
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight with my kids, too, and I was back to a Size 7 within a few months. And wearing a bikini, for Pete's sake. I wouldn't have believed it but I saw a picture of myself in a bikini. When I was in my twenties and thirties it was easy to get back in shape after pregnancy. Somewhat. I never exercised.

Now that I am 61, like someone said, I am starting to get that crepey skin like my mom had. And the weight has redistributed. Zumba twice a week is not helping. Butt and thigh workout videos, and arm and chest, are what I am doing. I have my fingers crossed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!