Anyone actually open to getting picked up at the gym?

Options

Replies

• LifeOfBrian78
    LifeOfBrian78 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    There is a girl at my gym that I've wanted to approach, but I haven't been able to time it right. She gets there after I'm already halfway done and always working out when I'm leaving. I don't want to approach her while she is working out and I don't want to just hang around and wait like a creeper.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I have learned from MFP that anyone checking me out at the gym is creepy unless they're hot. I think the right answer to this question is I am not open to anyone talking to or hitting on me at the gym unless they're hot.
  • siport
    siport Posts: 7,429 Member
    Options
    If someone tries to flirt with me at the gym, then I will just go ahead and marry them. I don't care about my appearance at the gym, which is probably bad. I wear baggy clothes, I smell like wet dog and sweat, I don't wear any makeup, I don't always shave my legs while wearing shorts, and sometimes a little toot comes out when I'm squatting.

this just made my day :-) - so what gym are you a member of ;p
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine, hottie Fitness Instructor, met her Guy at the Gym. He a hottie Personal Trainer. Got married, had 2 children. He decided to GET with a client. End of the marriage. Problem? They both still GO to the gym. He the Personal Trainer. She the Fitness Instructor.
    Talk about AWKWARD.:ohwell:

My gym has always been my Safe Zone.

Hands off.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    If I am between sets and just taking my rest I'm ok with chatting a little and if that led to something more then that's ok. I think that's the way to do it. I too would much prefer to meet someone at the gym then at a bar.

I'm still a a little overweight so I'm not expecting anyone to be checking me out at the gym unless it's because I'm one of the free weight girls not a cardio girl.
  • Shan_Lindsay
    Shan_Lindsay Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I met my husband at the gym! :)

I work at a gym and workout there as well. He tried approaching me one day while I was working out, but turned out I just kept walking away from him (I didn't realize he was trying to approach me) but he finally asked me out when I was working on a Friday night.

I think meeting someone at the gym is a good idea because it shows you both have a healthy lifestyle in common.

I think it's a good idea to approach someone when they're not busy in between sets, like others have mentioned. Maybe ask him for help or just make a comment about something they're doing.
  • dcarter1020
    dcarter1020 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    "If someone tries to flirt with me at the gym, then I will just go ahead and marry them. I don't care about my appearance at the gym, which is probably bad. I wear baggy clothes, I smell like wet dog and sweat, I don't wear any makeup, I don't always shave my legs while wearing shorts, and sometimes a little toot comes out when I'm squatting."

Baaahahahaha!! So f-ing hilarious! That comment made my day.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    If someone tries to flirt with me at the gym, then I will just go ahead and marry them. I don't care about my appearance at the gym, which is probably bad. I wear baggy clothes, I smell like wet dog and sweat, I don't wear any makeup, I don't always shave my legs while wearing shorts, and sometimes a little toot comes out when I'm squatting.

this just made my day :-) - so what gym are you a member of ;p

Planet Fitness :drinker: maybe we can grab a slice of pizza together on their pizza night, eh?
  • wndrwmn86
    wndrwmn86 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Ha I have asked guys for lifting advice before but I was definitely not hitting on them. I hope they didn't think that....:ohwell: I am super shy though and look like a hot mess at the gym. I would probably wouldn't realize I was being "picked up" if someone was trying to talk to me but it's a good place to meet someone I suppose, you both have fitness as a part of your life. :blushing:
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I have learned from MFP that anyone checking me out at the gym is creepy unless they're hot. I think the right answer to this question is I am not open to anyone talking to or hitting on me at the gym unless they're hot.

Hey girl, want to work on your SLDL form?
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I met my husband at a gym. I set a little snare, he walked into it and I've kept him locked up since :smile:

I did actually meet him at the Y but I was training with a club that he was/is a member of so it was already a group of people that knew each other.

It's worked out well for us because we both compete and much of our 'entertainment' as a couple revolves around training and competitions and most of our friends are part of this as well.

That's really the best way to meet anyone. Participate in something you love to do and you'll meet someone else that loves doing it as well. If you can find a group though, that goes a long way towards facilitating the social aspect of it. It makes it less awkward.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna say, if a good looking gentleman walked up to me at the gym, and wasn't a total weirdo about it, heck yes I'd be open to it.

Then again, I'm pretty okay with people approaching me in public. I think the only off-limits flirty time is at a funeral. But hey, the luncheon is fair game!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I was, prior to being married. If I were single, I think it might be a decent place to meet someone- by chance though. I wouldn't go to the gym looking for or hoping to meet someone, but if it happened organically, why not? After all, at least you have a positive, healthy thing in common!
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Definitely.

I'm actually an extreme extrovert and talk to people at the gym all the time if they approach me.

This^ :flowerforyou:
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I don't care about my appearance at the gym, which is probably bad. I wear baggy clothes, I smell like wet dog and sweat, I don't wear any makeup, I don't always shave my legs while wearing shorts, and sometimes a little toot comes out when I'm squatting.

PMSL :laugh: You sound like my gym twin :love:
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If I were single, I would totally be open to meeting someone at the gym! There are definitely wrong and right ways to do it, but as a whole I don't think its a bad idea. Immediately there would be something we have in common, if nothing else. I agree with you, meeting people in a bar/club isn't that appealing to me. If someone were to actually approach me, I would definitely talk to them, but that rarely/never happens. People I already know talk to me, but that's it. I feel that, like other people have mentioned, most people are more consumed with what they are doing at the gym.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    nope nope nope nope.

Had bad experiences with a creeper type- had to change my whole schedule- and it makes showing up and working out so awkward- so no. I don't want to spend my workout dodging and ducking people.

I have a no work- no gym- no "anywhere I regularly go and would have to drastically change my standard operating procedures" policy.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    No. I don't like to have conversations in the gym. Nobody should disturb me while I'm watching episodes of Charmed for the umpteenth time.

Also, my wife wouldn't approve.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Hey girl, want to work on your SLDL form?

We can work on our hip thrusts back at my place!
  • kendall916
    kendall916 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Options
    If the guy is good looking there may be a possibility, but I think I give the men in the gym a vibe that I'm focused on my workout more than flirting! :laugh: