Where to start (strength training)

Options
2»

Replies

• dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    For me (primarily a runner-ish and a cyclist-ish), strength training has one purpose: increase running (or cycling) efficiency*.

So not that I know what the purpose of it is, I need a plan to achieve that goal.

So how to start? In a nutshell: get a training program and STICK to it.

*This seems to be around 6 rep maximum.
  • azrubael
    azrubael Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts has a set program of exercises that you do three times a week. So every time you tap new workout it will move you to the next routine in the program. You will also have a history option to check on your previous workouts so you can see your progress. Great program, highly recommended.
  • alioopwontonsoup
    alioopwontonsoup Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion about a session with a personal trainer.
    If there's not a reputable one available at your gym, here's where you can search for people in your area who are certified by the American College of Sports Medicine:
    http://members.acsm.org/source/custom/Online_locator/OnlineLocator.cfm

I did a blog post discussing exercise, goal-settting, the different ways to lift depending on what you want out of it, etc.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/exercise-667080

Here's most of the part about weightlifting:

To get calorie credit for wieghtlifting go under cardio & search for "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)". It's not much of a credit, but it's better than nothing (which is what you get if you enter the work under "strength training"), & it's easier than trying to find every exercise.

There are 3 goals or types of weight training.
    Most people should start by building muscle.
    After a month or so of that, you can add in building endurance.
    Going for power is a more advanced technique, which I'll leave to the competitive weightlifters.

Free weights or machines?
    Machines reduce the chance that you can do something wrong & injure yourself, don't take as much understanding of what you're doing, and target specific muscles or groups.
    Free weights work more muscles in concert and allow for more exercises to be done in a smaller area, even at your home, but require learning how to do them correctly.

No matter which you're doing, you need to know the maximum amount you can lift, called the one-repetition maximum or 1RM.

For building muscle, you want to do 1 or 2 sets of 8-12 repetitions of a weight that's 70-85% of your 1RM.
    For building endurance, do 1 or 2 sets of 15-20 repetitions of a weight that's 50-65% of your 1RM.

Either way, start low on both weight & reps and work up.
    You should just be able to do the last 2-3 reps.
    When it gets easy to do the maximum # of reps, add 5 pounds and go back to the minimum # of reps.

(From the American College of Sports Medicine's book "Resources for the Personal Trainer, 4th edition".)

Remember to work both sides of a joint (or the body) - if you're doing bicep curls, also do tricep extensions or dips. If you're doing quadricep extensions, also do hamstring curls. If you're doing abdominal curls, also do lower back extensions.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion about a session with a personal trainer.
    If there's not a reputable one available at your gym, here's where you can search for people in your area who are certified by the American College of Sports Medicine:
    http://members.acsm.org/source/custom/Online_locator/OnlineLocator.cfm

I did a blog post discussing exercise, goal-settting, the different ways to lift depending on what you want out of it, etc.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/exercise-667080

Here's most of the part about weightlifting:

To get calorie credit for wieghtlifting go under cardio & search for "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)". It's not much of a credit, but it's better than nothing (which is what you get if you enter the work under "strength training"), & it's easier than trying to find every exercise.

There are 3 goals or types of weight training.
    Most people should start by building muscle.
    After a month or so of that, you can add in building endurance.
    Going for power is a more advanced technique, which I'll leave to the competitive weightlifters.

Free weights or machines?
    Machines reduce the chance that you can do something wrong & injure yourself, don't take as much understanding of what you're doing, and target specific muscles or groups.
    Free weights work more muscles in concert and allow for more exercises to be done in a smaller area, even at your home, but require learning how to do them correctly.

No matter which you're doing, you need to know the maximum amount you can lift, called the one-repetition maximum or 1RM.

For building muscle, you want to do 1 or 2 sets of 8-12 repetitions of a weight that's 70-85% of your 1RM.
    For building endurance, do 1 or 2 sets of 15-20 repetitions of a weight that's 50-65% of your 1RM.

Either way, start low on both weight & reps and work up.
    You should just be able to do the last 2-3 reps.
    When it gets easy to do the maximum # of reps, add 5 pounds and go back to the minimum # of reps.

(From the American College of Sports Medicine's book "Resources for the Personal Trainer, 4th edition".)

Remember to work both sides of a joint (or the body) - if you're doing bicep curls, also do tricep extensions or dips. If you're doing quadricep extensions, also do hamstring curls. If you're doing abdominal curls, also do lower back extensions.

Now I understand your trying to help and I say this for myself, most of what you said I now understand but when I started I would have read about 2 sentances then been done. Way to much information and I get confused on what do do and when whats a split should i do this or that and on what day blah blah blah. This is why for myself (A total novice and still is) Strong lifts is great its allready set up you pretty much start with a empty bar and go from there. Easy non confusing and good realitive easy compound excercises.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 baby!